Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Jul 2011 (Friday) 16:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Using film lens on my Rebel XS?

PixelPaige
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 01, 2011 16:04 |  #1

Hi all!

I have a quick question. Long story short, I was searching for a used Canon EF 50mm 1.8 lens on eBay, and ended up mixing up the lenses I was looking at and bid on the film version xD

I can go through the trouble of having the owner delete my bid (or maybe someone else will buy it) but since it's such a good price, I'm wondering: Would I be able to use this lens on my Canon Rebel XS? I'd really just like to know if it would fit and work as I need a good portrait lens for a senior session in August.
Would there be a difference in quality, as well? Thanks in advance!

sponsored links
Steveod
767 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 01, 2011 16:24 |  #2

All EF canon lenses will fit EOS camera bodies film or digital from 1987-2011 so I don't see a probelm .

Steveod:shock: 1D Classic,1Ds, 400D. EOS-1n, EOS-5 Minolta Autocord,Yashica-A,Yashica-mat 66 Yashica-mat 124G ,Rolleicord IV & VB ,Mamiya C3,Mamiya C33, and a heap of other gear I keep collecting and collecting,Hi I am Steve and I am a photoholic http://www.flickr.com/​photos/steveod2007/ (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,442 posts
Gallery: 388 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 01, 2011 16:28 |  #3

What do you mean by the film version of the lens? If you mean FD mount, it will not work.

PixelPaige
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 01, 2011 17:01 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #4

Yes, I mean the FD mount that was originally created for film cameras. I read elsewhere that I'd need an adaptor...? Doesn't sound worth the trouble, probably would be better to pay more for a EF 50mm.

ohata0
561 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 01, 2011 17:17 |  #5

if you get the normal adapters, which has glass, you can put the FD lenses on an EF mount at the loss of quality (because of the extra glass). If you don't have the glass, you'll lose infinity focus.

The only way to adapt the lens w/out the glass is the "convert" it to an EF mount by removing the FD mount and replacing it w/ an EF mount...although, I'm not sure how it's done. I think it does require some lens "surgery" though.

stevemacko
301 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 01, 2011 17:23 |  #6

I'm pigheaded, so I went against the wisdom on these boards, and I bought an adapter for my FD 50mm. Long story short... The people here were right. The results were garbage! I ended up buying the plastic 50. :-)

Now, if you want to dabble in manual focus, find an M42 adapter, and scour craig's list for M42 mount lenses. I've had a lot of fun with my 135mm Takumar.

A whole box of point and shoots, EOS 30D, EF 20-35 f/3.5-4.5, 50mm f/1.8, Super Tak 135, 70-200 f/4 L

sponsored links

1,590 views & 0 likes for this thread
Using film lens on my Rebel XS?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.