Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 01 Jul 2011 (Friday) 22:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D MkII to replace 30D and HD video camera?

germ79
52 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 01, 2011 22:22 |  #1

Hi there! I posted this in the main EOS forum before I rlizesed this section existed!

I have a 30D that I love and I also have a Sony HC7 HD video camera. I find myself using the video camera less often because I don't like carrying two cameras. The HC7 takes excellent video on the MiniDV tapes, but is cumbersome to import.

I was considering selling my 30D and the HC7 and replacing them with a 5D MkII. Would this be something you would recommend? The only downfall I see is not being able to shoot video and take pictures at the same time (e.g. at special events for my kids). How will the video quality compare?

What do you think?!

Thanks!
Jeremy

<><

sponsored links
grunticus
204 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 02, 2011 07:01 |  #2

germ79 wrote in post #12691524 (external link)
Hi there! I posted this in the main EOS forum before I rlizesed this section existed!

I have a 30D that I love and I also have a Sony HC7 HD video camera. I find myself using the video camera less often because I don't like carrying two cameras. The HC7 takes excellent video on the MiniDV tapes, but is cumbersome to import.

I was considering selling my 30D and the HC7 and replacing them with a 5D MkII. Would this be something you would recommend? The only downfall I see is not being able to shoot video and take pictures at the same time (e.g. at special events for my kids). How will the video quality compare?

What do you think?!

Thanks!
Jeremy

Well, I have a 7D, not a 5D. I also had a Panasonic higher-end HD recorder. It was toasted, no, oblittorated, by the 7D's video quality, and I sold off the Pana. Even the mono sound from my 7D sounds better than the stereo of the Pana.

It WILL take some getting used to, because you have to do most things on the 5D manually (refocusing for example). But, the video quality is truly awesome, and on your 5D II (if you get it) will be even better than my 7D's.

My vote: go ahead.

Eos 5D | EF 40 2.8 STM

Brian_R
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 02, 2011 07:20 |  #3

grunticus wrote in post #12692648 (external link)
Well, I have a 7D, not a 5D. I also had a Panasonic higher-end HD recorder. It was toasted, no, oblittorated, by the 7D's video quality, and I sold off the Pana. Even the mono sound from my 7D sounds better than the stereo of the Pana.

It WILL take some getting used to, because you have to do most things on the 5D manually (refocusing for example). But, the video quality is truly awesome, and on your 5D II (if you get it) will be even better than my 7D's.

My vote: go ahead.

what panasonic higher end was beat by the 7D. im assuming you are referring to a prosumer camera not an actual high end professional camera. i thought my 7D was amazing but i started editing some video from a Sony XDcam and was pretty blown away by it. although thats like a $40k camera lol. still love my 7D i have seen some 7D 5D footage projected on a big screen and it looks very nice and clean.

7D and 5D make a great combo if you can get them both because the 5D might handle low key better and the 7D might be better in high key. i have not tested it but each dslr has its own strengths and weaknesses. i dont know if anyone has taken the time to test them all but i can tell you that they all have slight differences that make them good for different situations. although in the end they are do a great job and you dont need to get that picky unless you are producing a major motions picture :P

fcrabbath
138 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 02, 2011 09:20 |  #4

I had a 30D and a Canon XL2, and now a Canon 5D Mark II. I love the 5D. It really is a remarkable camera.

Go for it. You can thank me later.

http://www.youtube.com​/fcrabbath (external link) My films!
Canon 5D Mark II |EF 24-105 L

Kento
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 02, 2011 12:10 |  #5

Yep, fcrabbath works some major magic with the 5D II thats for sure.

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

nickspictures.com
242 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 03, 2011 17:56 |  #6

I keep trying cameras and can't seem to find anything better than the 5dmarkii. For the price performance you can't beat it. Yes, I know Nikon shooters will say their equivalent has better ISO performance and a little better AF but it doesn't have 1080 video and the bottom line is the amount of pro's that are using it for video and photography sells itself. I don't know of any camera in it's class that has more buzz around it. The 5D mark III will be one of the most anticipated launches when it rolls out next year sometime.

NicksPictures Facebook / (external link) NickToday Blog (external link)
Nick Palomba Photography Business Site (external link)

John ­ Sims
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jul 04, 2011 09:29 |  #7

In my limited experience the main factor of using a DSLR over a "proper" video camera is handling. The DSLR has advantages because of its relatively small size and weight, and similarly because it is less obtrusive. The down side is you still need a monster tripod and hefty head to get a good steady pan, proper mic's for proper sound and the lack of a motorised zoom and motorised focus can mean some shots you would take with a pro camera are best avoided with a DSLR.
The weight and proportions of a pro video camera make it far more stable if you aren't using a tripod as well.

DSLR's are great secondary view cameras but, to use as a principal video camera, a lot of care is required to avoid it looking like a guerilla stylee shoot.

John Sims
Canon 60D, 30D, 10D, AE1 & some other stuff

grunticus
204 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 07, 2011 11:27 |  #8

Brian_R wrote in post #12692682 (external link)
what panasonic higher end was beat by the 7D. im assuming you are referring to a prosumer camera not an actual high end professional camera. i thought my 7D was amazing but i started editing some video from a Sony XDcam and was pretty blown away by it. although thats like a $40k camera lol. still love my 7D i have seen some 7D 5D footage projected on a big screen and it looks very nice and clean.

7D and 5D make a great combo if you can get them both because the 5D might handle low key better and the 7D might be better in high key. i have not tested it but each dslr has its own strengths and weaknesses. i dont know if anyone has taken the time to test them all but i can tell you that they all have slight differences that make them good for different situations. although in the end they are do a great job and you dont need to get that picky unless you are producing a major motions picture :P

That's correct, a consumer camera, not a professional one. It cost € 1000, and after seeing the 7D clip it was quickly deemed useless by me. Of course it takes a lot more fiddling with a 7D, but for me, the result counts. Simply no contest.

Eos 5D | EF 40 2.8 STM

sponsored links

1,349 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D MkII to replace 30D and HD video camera?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.