Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 03 May 2011 (Tuesday) 07:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

580exii - Experience with Canon service

wdwpsu
THREAD ­ STARTER
625 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 14, 2011 11:09 |  #16

Just got a package from Canon. They did say there was a fault with my flash, and they sent me a new one (instead of fixing the existing one). The new one has the pointy contacts that the old one did not have. I'm wondering if there were other design flaws in the previous (Here's hoping, because I don't want to keep getting these serviced / replaced every year).

Wedding and Event Photography ∙ Orlando, Florida ∙ DSWfoto.com (external link)
Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link)

sponsored links
digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,262 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2009

May 15, 2011 15:56 |  #17

Good news. It is a known problem with the 580 II. Nice to see you get new one.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

wdwpsu
THREAD ­ STARTER
625 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 15, 2011 16:16 |  #18

Since it's a known problem, I feel a little churn paying $130 for repairs.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,262 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 15, 2011 19:06 |  #19

I don't think they have come out and admitted it. That is the problem.

Image Editing OK

wdwpsu
THREAD ­ STARTER
625 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 16, 2011 09:55 |  #20

Kind of like the 1DSmkiii which had a recall 2 or 3 years after the fact.

Dermit
Goldmember
1,815 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2005

May 16, 2011 15:03 |  #21

My 580 stopped working this weekend... middle of shooting a wedding of course. (I do have backups so was fine). But my 580 will not even fire when pushing the test button... and ideas why? Last time I sent it in it was not firing but when pressing the test button it would not fire but it would 'act' like it would. That time it turned out to be in need of a bulb replacement.

5DmkII, 5DmkIII, 5DS R, 15mm, 16-35 f/2.8 II L, 100 Macro f/2.8 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, 580EX II, 580EX, 550EX
http://www.pixelcraftp​hoto.com (external link)

MHJS
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jul 03, 2011 10:46 |  #22

Dermit wrote in post #12421033 (external link)
My 580 stopped working this weekend... middle of shooting a wedding of course. (I do have backups so was fine). But my 580 will not even fire when pushing the test button... and ideas why? Last time I sent it in it was not firing but when pressing the test button it would not fire but it would 'act' like it would. That time it turned out to be in need of a bulb replacement.

I just encountered the same problem today.
Off to CPS

http://mhj.smugmug.com​/ (external link)

msowsun
"approx 8mm"
9,253 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 03, 2011 11:18 |  #23

Tim Snow wrote in post #12339282 (external link)
It's a known problem...Canon should fix it for you. Apparently they are also changing the shoes on flashes that go in from the rounded contacts to pointier ones...mine is going in soon.

I have never had a problem with my early 580EX II with the "rounded" contacts, but I would like to know what Canon charges you.

Here is a video from a guy who has both the rounded and pointy versions: http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=Y35smvQl2Pg (external link)

The video is quite long but these are 2 screen captures from 6:50 and 7:20

IMAGE: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/msowsun/photo%20stuff/Photo6/_1c-7.jpg
IMAGE: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/msowsun/photo%20stuff/Photo6/_1cc-1.jpg

Mike Sowsun / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 18-135mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 100-400 II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,262 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 13, 2011 19:39 |  #24

That is interesting. I had to order a foot for my 580 II which I got about 3 weeks ago and I just checked it. Pointy.

Image Editing OK

sponsored links

3,547 views & 0 likes for this thread
580exii - Experience with Canon service
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.