Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Jun 2011 (Thursday) 23:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sensor dust?

Exposure101
555 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 30, 2011 23:38 |  #1

So while using my 5D on a recent trip, I noticed there was a spec of dust (a mark) on the pictures. I checked the lenses and they were clean. I also look at the sensor and it looked clean (from what I can see with my naked eyes). It's definitely on the picture. How do I go about removing it? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

sponsored links
goldboughtrue
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 30, 2011 23:41 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

There's no way you can see dust on the sensor with your naked eye unless it was an eyelash or something huge. First use a blower (not compressed air) then try one of the methods floating around the forum. I use Sensorklear because it's not wet and does a great job of getting rid of the dust.

I've used the Copperhill method (wet), but could hardly get the pads to work for me.

http://www.pbase.com/g​oldbough (external link)

5D II, Canon 100 macro, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 24-105 L, Canon TS-E 45, Sigma Art 35mm f/1.4

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 01, 2011 00:04 |  #3

A Rocket Blower should be your first purchase! :) That will get rid of 99% of the dust...after that...go with some of the other popular ones (wet or dry wipes)

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

Choderboy
I like a long knob
6,748 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Jul 01, 2011 00:10 as a reply to  @ LowriderS10's post |  #4

Suggest search sensor cleaning and decide for yourself which method and if you want to do it yourself. If you only have 1 spot very easy to clone it out in post processing. Chance it may move on it's own. Also a chance rocket blower will move it but move some other dust around inside the camera onto the sensor.
Like I said, if only 1 spot. Of course, dust spots vary, some are small and faint, some are big and dark so that makes a difference regarding working around it.

Dave
Image editing OK

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,256 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 01, 2011 01:40 |  #5

http://www.cleaningdig​italcameras.com/ (external link)

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

Exposure101
THREAD ­ STARTER
555 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 04, 2011 10:55 |  #6

I forgot about this thread until now. Thank you for all the suggestions/comments! I'll purchase a rocket blower and try that out.

quiksquirrel
608 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 04, 2011 11:14 |  #7

The blower should be the first thing you try. A good blower is worth it's weight in gold and should always be on hand.

Sometimes, however, you will need more drastic measures.
Personally, I like the Sensor Swab and Eclipse method. The link amfoto1 provided, should have a simple guide on how to go about it :)

sponsored links

743 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sensor dust?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.