Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 04 Jul 2011 (Monday) 11:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My Own Predictions/Speculation (7DII, 5DIII and 1DV)

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,370 posts
Gallery: 555 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 04, 2011 11:50 |  #1

Because I'm bored...

7D Mark II (I'm betting this is the name, Not 6D or 8D, Canon treats this like a pro model after all)

-24mp APS-C Sensor, Improvements to DR and noise performance (About a stop better or so) and a less-severe AA filter
-Max ISO of 25,600, Expansion to 102,400
-Single Dual-Core Digic V Processor
-8fps advance
-Upgraded 19-pt AF array, New "Precise Mode" for enhanced precision in demanding applications
-Upgraded iFCL metering system, Full RGB now instead of 2 color and with more zones
-100% Viewfinder
-Interchangeable focusing screens
-Improved weathersealing
-High Resolution Tiltable 3.0" 3:2 rear screen (A sealed tiltable screen can be done, See the Olympus E-3 and E-5)

BG-E7II Grip
-Add a micro-joystick controller for easier control of AF point selection

Likely Announced Feburary 2012

(The decisions i made on this are largely because I know Sony is working on a 24mp APS-C sensor for their a77, This sensor is likely to be the sensor at the heart of the D300s' replacement, I fully expect Canon to at least be matching this number in their next camera while pulling off getting some extra dynamic range and better high ISO performance out of it, Also I see Canon allowing the 7D to come up a little in specs because I forsee the 7D-series replacing the APS-H 1-series in time as the action camera of choice..)

---

5D Mark III

-32mp Full Frame sensor, enhanced Dynamic Range and High ISO noise performance over the old sensor by at least 1.5 stops
-Max ISO of 25,600, Expanded to 102,400
-Single Dual-Core Digic V Processor
-5fps
-19pt AF adapted to the 5D Mark III's full frame coverage with points spread out comfortably across the frame, Same capabilities as the 7D's system but geared more towards precision over speed and tracking ability (IE, Smaller AF points)
-Upgraded iFCL meter, Full RGB metering and more zones
-97% Viewfinder with interchangeable focusing screens, default focusing screen is optimized for f/2.8 and faster lenses and LCD gridlines
-Full weather sealing
-High Resolution Tiltable 3.0" 3:2 Rear Screen

Announced Sept 2011, Likely shipping Jan 2012

(I wanted to make the 5D Mark III something that wedding and landscape photographers would really want, I did some thinking and realized people who want to "just stuff" the 7D's AF system in the 5D shell are probubly not right, the 19-points will only cover a small portion of the 5D's frame, instead im thinking of a "stretched" or "spaced out" 19 point array, with the focusing points being quite small in comparison to the 7D's for extra precision in tune with the 5D's intended users, Improving the burst rate to 5fps I feel is 100% doable and would be an appreciated upgrade for wedding shooters)

-----

1D Mark V

-32mp Full Frame sensor (From 5D Mark III) tuned to deliver the best IQ as possible
-Dual Dual-Core Digic V Processors
-Max ISO of 51,200, Expanded to 204,800
-10 FPS Full-Frame courtesy of upgraded 300,000 shutter cycle shutter mechanism and high strength mirror mechanism
-1.3x and 1.6x crop mode for increased burst length (As both are lower resolution)
-Upgraded 52-point AF system, Most advanced Tracking AF of any competetor
-Upgraded iFCL meter, Full RGB and more metering points
-100% Viewfinder Coverage, Automatic LCD masking in 1.3x and 1.6x crop modes, gridline overlay in several flavors
-Complete weather sealing and built-like-a-tank construction as all 1-series
-Fixed 3" Super-high-resolution 3:2 screen

Announced Feb 2012 with trickle shipments to certain organizations in March/April 2012, Full release around July

(I see the 1-series merging, APS-H's benefits can be achieved using a crop mode on a Full frame sensor, When creating this i asked myself what the 1-series is, and what it should be and the answer is simple, The 1-series is the toughest, most adaptable, most customizable, fastest camera Canon can offer, its the best, the creme-de-la-creme of technology for the most discerning clientele, Thats what I attempted to create here, a camera that really can do everything with the press of a button)

------

My thinking is simple, Canon should simplify their professional lineup, a 1 series will sell on its build and having the absolute extreme of capability, not by only offering a few trifling features that could easily be incorporated into a cheaper body

I feel the 7DII and the 5DIII will be sort of "moving up" and becoming the cameras that are the backbone of Canon Professional shooters everywhere, and the 1-series is going to be relegated only to those who specifically need the build quality and reliability as well as the absolute limits of performance, I feel that theres no need to withhold some honestly great features from the 7DII or 5DIII in an attempt to "force" people to buy the 1D over them

I see the elimination of APS-H from Canon's lineup as inevitable, Continuing to research and develop a sensor for ONE camera makes little sense at this point when the combined sales of APS-C and Full Frame cameras make developing sensors for those a far more profitable option, Especially since APS-C has proven to be developed very quickly...more money invested into APS-C development will likely close up the gap in performance between APS-H and APS-C

But anyways..discuss

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

sponsored links
tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 04, 2011 12:08 |  #2

That is a good list, even if it is pure speculation. Hope to see all three in the lineup within 12 months.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

jorkata
213 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 04, 2011 13:03 as a reply to  @ tkbslc's post |  #3

Very sound predictions and very sensible logic behind them.

Good point in making predictions about the entire lineup.
I also think that APS-H is going away, which should free up some space for the 7D and 5D to move up a bit.

The 7D and 5D were always meant to be sister models and this will show in their next iterations, IMO.

The 1DV of course will be the top of the line model.
No reason to think that a capable 5D-III will sabotage it, since it won’t be the top of the line model.
So, if someone wants the top of the line model - and there are many who do - they will be buying the 1DV, not the 5D-III.

(Btw, that’s exactly the problem with the 1D-1Ds combo right now - neither one of them is the single, undisputed top of the line model. )

As for the megapixel counts: 24mp for the 7D-II and 32mp for the 5D-III seem reasonable.
For a better differentiation bwteen the lines, though, a 20mp/30mp division is also possible.

keithcooper
81 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 04, 2011 14:09 |  #4

Still don't think Canon will have a new 5D variant out before they have replaced the 2007 vintage 'flagship' 1Ds3

Nor do I expect to see 'unification' yet in the 1 series, unless the top camera isn't another '1 series' as we currently know them.

Other than that, the list a damn site better than a lot of the spurious (anonymous) nonsense I get sent as 'true' rumours :-)

bye for now
Keith Cooper
Northlight Images (external link)

KenjiS
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Holy crap its long!"
21,370 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 04, 2011 16:45 |  #5

jorkata wrote in post #12702983 (external link)
Very sound predictions and very sensible logic behind them.

Good point in making predictions about the entire lineup.
I also think that APS-H is going away, which should free up some space for the 7D and 5D to move up a bit.

Thank you

The 7D and 5D were always meant to be sister models and this will show in their next iterations, IMO.

The change could be a bit more gradual, 7DII and 5DIII are going to move up a bit in features and specification, Perhaps eventually replacing the 1-series at a lower price point with new models settling in underneath them at a still lower price point in 5 years, IE, a new budget Full Frame model that slips in at the $2250-2500 price point while the 5DIV slips in at $3500 and the 7DIII slips in at $2000 with the 80D moving up in specifications to the $1400 price level, The 7D and 5D names will remain because, like the 1D, they have prestige and a certain level of weight behind them now, Good marketing and I think the "mark" designation on a professional camera makes things a bit easier when discussing a body...

The 1DV of course will be the top of the line model.
No reason to think that a capable 5D-III will sabotage it, since it won’t be the top of the line model.
So, if someone wants the top of the line model - and there are many who do - they will be buying the 1DV, not the 5D-III.

(Btw, that’s exactly the problem with the 1D-1Ds combo right now - neither one of them is the single, undisputed top of the line model. )

You got PRECISELY what i was trying to say, And if you look at Nikon's lineup, Nikon survives without crippling the D700 with crap advance rates and AF and still sells lots of D3s and D3x bodies....

As for the megapixel counts: 24mp for the 7D-II and 32mp for the 5D-III seem reasonable.
For a better differentiation bwteen the lines, though, a 20mp/30mp division is also possible.

I agree yet disagree, Canon would probubly feel launching a 20mp body against a 24mp one (The D300s' successor and the a77 both will have 24mp sensors) would be a marketing problem, Also keep in mind if history is correct, the 7DII's sensor will end up in the 70D and T4i as well and in that segment "Big numbers = Big sales" because most consumers are stupid and simply want the biggest number printed on the tag, So from a marketing standpoint I'd be pretty confident Canon is going to be closer to the 24mp range..

And of course i predict forum raging about a 24mp APS-C camera :rolleyes: Just like people did with the 7D

That said, if they dont do 24mp, I agree 20 or 21 is a good number as well, To the average consumer it would sell that the new camera is in fact "better" and as i said, this sensor will be ending up in the 70D and T4i models most likely...both are sold to consumers who dont understand pixel density and things of that nature, Big numbers sell

32mp I feel is a good jump from the 5DII thats within technological progress and likely apt to still produce a good yield and keep costs down (We went from 12 to 21, So 32 "feels" right), I'm also confident Canon will improve DR and that, because frankly, even if less bigger pixels -should- mean better image quality, history has not agreed with this notion except if a sensor was designed using the latest tech (See, the D3s sensor which was DESIGNED to optimize low light performance and oh god it does a great job of it!)

match14
362 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 05, 2011 07:08 |  #6

I like this but some changes I would make is for the 7D Mark II to have a full frame 24mp sensor, and then move the 70D back up to the postion held by the current 7D as the top APS-C model. That would give a three full frame pro models. Also give the 5D Mark III 100% viewfinder.

David
500px (external link)
Gear

Fricks
Cream of the Crop
23,034 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 05, 2011 07:11 |  #7

the next 7d will not be full frame.

match14
362 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 05, 2011 07:18 |  #8

I never said it would I'm just throwing a sugestion out there. But I agree knowing Canon it will not happen. Small incremental updates.

David
500px (external link)
Gear

KenjiS
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Holy crap its long!"
21,370 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 05, 2011 11:05 |  #9

^- Would kinda go against Canon's naming scheme too...

What I expect is an eventual "Divergence" in the FF line, with the "5D" moving down in price and a "3D" taking its spot at the high end of the lineup

turbo_911
491 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 05, 2011 16:10 |  #10

I think Canon 5D III is very doable, but what about the prices?

Also what would prices for 7D and 5D II look like?

Canon 6D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS |

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 05, 2011 16:46 |  #11

BG-E7II Grip
-Add a micro-joystick controller for easier control of AF point selection

For the love of god yes

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

KenjiS
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Holy crap its long!"
21,370 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 05, 2011 21:11 |  #12

turbo_911 wrote in post #12709081 (external link)
I think Canon 5D III is very doable, but what about the prices?

Also what would prices for 7D and 5D II look like?

At launch:

7DII would be $1900 body only, $2000 28-135 kit, $2200 for 18-135 kit

5DIII will be $3000 body only, $3700 in 24-105 kit

So i suspect that 7D classics would fall down from their current $1400-ish used price to down about $1000-1200, Not a huge drop

5DIIs will fall down to $1800-2000 most likely

Lone ­ Rider
Goldmember
1,349 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 08, 2011 14:41 |  #13

Fricks wrote in post #12706503 (external link)
the next 7d will not be full frame.

Yes it will...:lol:

Trevor

KenjiS
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Holy crap its long!"
21,370 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 08, 2011 14:47 |  #14

Sportidi wrote in post #12726103 (external link)
Yes it will...:lol:

Riddle me this person with the same name as me...

if the next 7D becomes full frame, then what will the action/wildlife semi-pro camera be? :rolleyes:

Crop has its advantages in wildlife and sports photography, What you want is a lower end FF SLR, if Canon eventually makes it, it will not bear the 7D name...I'm thinking a revival of the "Elan" name for it ;)

Canonswhitelensesrule
Goldmember
3,648 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 08, 2011 16:04 |  #15

1D Mk V...GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME...

Photographers do it in 1/1,000th of a second...but the memory lasts forever! ;)
"It's only cheating if you get caught!" - Al Bundy
People who THINK they know it all really annoy those of us who DO!

sponsored links

8,347 views & 0 likes for this thread
My Own Predictions/Speculation (7DII, 5DIII and 1DV)
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.