Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 Jul 2011 (Monday) 18:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D with sticky wheel

cwood
370 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 04, 2011 18:28 |  #1

I'm curious if I am experiencing a unique problem or if this is common.

I have been shooting 1DmkIII and 5DmkII for a couple of years and I recently added the 7D into the mix. I shot a gymnastics competition last week an the 7D became virtually unusable because the back wheel would get so stuck I could not review my photos.

Each morning when I would unpack my gear I would check it and it would always seem a bit better but after an hour of use it would get too stiff to turn.

Now that I am home I was getting ready to package the camera to send off to CPS but the wheel seems 100% perfect so I'm not sure if they will even do anything for me.

Has anyone else experienced this before?

Chris

1DxII, 5D3, 6D
BLOG (external link)

sponsored links
Tiger_993
553 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 04, 2011 18:38 |  #2

No problems with mine.

5DM2 + BG-E6 | 50 1.4 | TS-E 17L | 16-35L | 135L | 70-200 f/4L IS

LiberationFrequency
Goldmember
1,334 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 04, 2011 18:48 |  #3

Never any issues and mines been through a variety of weather.

cwood
THREAD ­ STARTER
370 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 04, 2011 19:13 |  #4

LiberationFrequency wrote in post #12704456 (external link)
Never any issues and mines been through a variety of weather.

That is exactly the odd thing about my problem. I was in Palm Springs in an air conditioned convention hall where the outdoor temps were 115 degrees. So it was extremely dry and the camera was always between 68-72 degrees. Except for a bit of chalk floating in the air (and that was not as bad as it could have been) you could not ask for better conditions for a camera to operate in.

1DxII, 5D3, 6D
BLOG (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 04, 2011 21:09 |  #5

is it gripped? i've read about things getting stuck on gripped 7d's.

cwood
THREAD ­ STARTER
370 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 04, 2011 22:48 |  #6

rick_reno wrote in post #12704928 (external link)
is it gripped? i've read about things getting stuck on gripped 7d's.

hmmm it is gripped... but I can't imagine why that would make any difference at all? Do you have any links for me? I've done some searching and I have not really found anything useful.

1DxII, 5D3, 6D
BLOG (external link)

phreeky
Goldmember
3,499 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 04, 2011 23:45 |  #7

I believe the grip thing is purely electronics - the wheel will still turn but appear to have no effect. If it's getting physically stuck then the camera has an issue.

Intermittent problems are awful because you never know if it will play up for the technician. But I would send it in anyway and speak to them explaining that it is intermittent. I've not experienced a wheel getting "stuck" before. At work we have DSLRs that come back from fieldwork with certain archaeologists where there is mud and gunk stuck in all kinds of places (I even cleaned a 17-85 out once and bits of dirt fell out) and none have had a dial or wheel fail.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 05, 2011 01:26 |  #8

I googled it and found it. Try pulling the grip and seeing if anything changes.

sponsored links

1,387 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D with sticky wheel
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.