Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 04 Jul 2011 (Monday) 13:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gigabit Wireless router suggestions please

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Jul 04, 2011 13:28 |  #1

If you are using one and it works well for you, what do you suggest for a gigabit port wireless router - the faster the better.

I am currently using a DLINK DIR 615 10/100 wireless router for my home network. I would like to speed things up. I have two DLINK NAS boxes attached to the router ports but the boxes support 10/100/1000. I hope to speed up file transfers to and from these boxes.

Since my motherboard on the main PC is a 10/100, I plan to add in a PCI card with gigabit capability.

Note: Since I am a sports shooter, I have lots of photos to backup or retrieve at times, and multiple PC's on my home network (5 at the moment not counting my two laptops). After one softball tournament, I used the three desktops to upload the game photos to my Smugmug account. That was almost too much for me to keep up with in my pea brain! :oops:

Your advice and suggestions for a faster wireless router is appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

sponsored links
r34p3rex
192 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 04, 2011 17:36 |  #2

What's your budget? The WNDR3700 offers one of the highest routing throughputs both wirelessly and wired.

Gripped 5DII | 24-105 f/4L | 70-200 f/2.8L | Sigma 180mm f/3.5 Macro | 430EX II
AB800 | YN-602RF | Vagabond Mini
My Feedback (on other sites): Overclock.net (external link) | Pbnation (external link)

BradTSG
96 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 04, 2011 18:28 |  #3

I can recommend the ASUS RT-N56U router. I have had it for a week now and love it. One of the fastest routers out. I sustain transfer speeds on Wireless N at 15MB/sec. Way faster than my old linksys G router at 2.5MB/sec. Checkout http://smallnetbuilder​.com (external link) for comparisons on different routers.

Newegg link (external link)

Gripped 7D | 70-200L f/2.8 IS | 17-55 f/2.8 IS | 50L f/1.2 | Σ 35mm F1.4 DG HSM | 580ex II | 430ex II | EF 1.4x II

MT ­ Stringer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Jul 04, 2011 18:36 |  #4

Thanks for the suggestions. This afternoon I bought the netgear router mentioned before reading this post. Installing it tonight. I will report back later.
Thanks.

My Gear List

MT ­ Stringer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Jul 04, 2011 23:10 |  #5

I have had the WNDR4000 running for a couple of hours with no problems encountered. So far, we have switched two desktops, a laptop and my Samsung Tab over to the new network. Setup was smooth and easy.

So far, I have seen a speed increase in internet browsing on both my main PC and the desktop connected via wireless network card.

As for file transfer...

Copying the same files from the DLINK NAS box to the main PC really didn't change. I thought for sure it would since the previous router was only 10/100 and in my way of thinking, it was the bottleneck. About 10mb per second through the CAT5 cables from box to router to PC.

I did see an increase in throughput when I preformed the same copy from the NAS box wireless to the secondary PC. Test with the previous router resulted in transfer rate of 1.3 - 1.4 mb/sec. With the new router, the rate jumped to almost 9mb/sec.

So that leaves me scratching my head. Where is the supposedly 300 - 450 mb/sec rates? The router and secondary PC are only about 8 feet apart so signal strength is good.

My Gear List

r34p3rex
192 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 05, 2011 00:04 |  #6

MT Stringer wrote in post #12705400 (external link)
I have had the WNDR4000 running for a couple of hours with no problems encountered. So far, we have switched two desktops, a laptop and my Samsung Tab over to the new network. Setup was smooth and easy.

So far, I have seen a speed increase in internet browsing on both my main PC and the desktop connected via wireless network card.

As for file transfer...

Copying the same files from the DLINK NAS box to the main PC really didn't change. I thought for sure it would since the previous router was only 10/100 and in my way of thinking, it was the bottleneck. About 10mb per second through the CAT5 cables from box to router to PC.

I did see an increase in throughput when I preformed the same copy from the NAS box wireless to the secondary PC. Test with the previous router resulted in transfer rate of 1.3 - 1.4 mb/sec. With the new router, the rate jumped to almost 9mb/sec.

So that leaves me scratching my head. Where is the supposedly 300 - 450 mb/sec rates? The router and secondary PC are only about 8 feet apart so signal strength is good.

You are getting MBps and mbps confused. The routers are rated for 300-450 megabits per second (mbps). The transfer rates you are seeing are probably measured in megabytes per second (MBps). 8mbps = 1MBps.

The speed ratings are highly theoretical.. with overhead, you will never see those kinds of speeds.. The maximum throughput you are likely to see is around 80% of the rated speed. Your client-side wireless card also needs to support 300-450mbps. You also need to factor in the fact that different wireless chipsets in the cards do not necesarily play nice with one another, further reducing throughput.

What wireless card do you have on your secondary PC?

My Feedback (on other sites): Overclock.net (external link) | Pbnation (external link)

Hen3Ry
Goldmember
1,063 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 05, 2011 00:42 |  #7

r34p3rex wrote in post #12705600 (external link)
You are getting MBps and mbps confused. The routers are rated for 300-450 megabits per second (mbps). The transfer rates you are seeing are probably measured in megabytes per second (MBps). 8mbps = 1MBps.

The speed ratings are highly theoretical.. with overhead, you will never see those kinds of speeds.. The maximum throughput you are likely to see is around 80% of the rated speed. Your client-side wireless card also needs to support 300-450mbps. You also need to factor in the fact that different wireless chipsets in the cards do not necesarily play nice with one another, further reducing throughput.

What wireless card do you have on your secondary PC?

^^What he said. In addition, don't forget that the greatest overhead of transferring the data from rotating media isn't the transfer itself, it's the mechanical delay of the drive doing seeks and setting sectors, each of which can take milliseconds - that and the overhead of buffering the data in RAM is the largest part of data transfer - the transfer in the wire between the drive and the pc is usually on the order of 15% - or less. So if you double the speed, you cut ~15% of the total transfer time in half. Not a big gain.

Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là.

MT ­ Stringer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Jul 05, 2011 01:17 |  #8

Thanks. I am confused now for sure. But that's OK. Things are faster and I will settle for what I am getting.

The wireless card on the secondary PC is a DLINK DWA-552 Extreme N 150 mbps PCI adapter.

My Gear List

BradTSG
96 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 05, 2011 03:28 |  #9

Also take into account if you live in a "noisy" area with multiple routers on the 2.4ghz band you will see slower speeds and issues. You may also want to get a different PCI adapter that supports 300Mbps and the 5ghz band which the router you just purchased does. That would also increase the speed.

Gripped 7D | 70-200L f/2.8 IS | 17-55 f/2.8 IS | 50L f/1.2 | Σ 35mm F1.4 DG HSM | 580ex II | 430ex II | EF 1.4x II

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

Jul 05, 2011 04:02 |  #10

Always try to get the same brand network card and wireless device. You are less likely to have problems.

r34p3rex
192 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 05, 2011 04:31 |  #11

MT Stringer wrote in post #12705844 (external link)
Thanks. I am confused now for sure. But that's OK. Things are faster and I will settle for what I am getting.

The wireless card on the secondary PC is a DLINK DWA-552 Extreme N 150 mbps PCI adapter.

There's your problem then :p The maximum theoretical throughput you'd see would be 150mbps (or 18.75MB/s). Factoring in overhead loss, you'd see a more realistic 15MB/s. It's likely your adapter and your router use different chipsets, thus decreasing performance even more: 9MB/s is pretty reasonable :D

Other things to look out for, do any of your wireless devices only support 802.11b/g? If they are on the same network as any N devices, your N device will see decreased performance.

Also as previously mentioned, if any neighboring wireless networks are operating on the same channel as your router, interference will decrease throughput. The only non-overlapping channels are 1, 6, and 11.

Merlin_AZ
872 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 05, 2011 10:58 |  #12

Netgear WNDR 3700. Works great.

sponsored links

1,511 views & 0 likes for this thread
Gigabit Wireless router suggestions please
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.