Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 04 Jul 2011 (Monday) 09:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Backup Speeds - Netbook

FindJammer
414 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 04, 2011 09:22 |  #1

Hey All,

I recently started using my Asus netbook with an external 1Tb drive for location backup tasks and frankly I've been horrified at the amount of time it's taken to backup the cards.

The first card I backed up using this setup was a 400x 32Gb Trancend card and it took almost 5 hours at a rate of 2.5Mb/s ... I was using the EOS Utility to do the copy.

The netbook was plugged in and on super performance mode so nothing in the chain should have been throttled back from optimum performance.

Is there any way of boosting this performance I wonder? I was under the impression that this backup performance would be dictated by the cards speed rating as this is slowest bus speed in the whole chain ...

Do the Nexto OTG devices perform better in this regard?

Jammer
2 Eyes, one slightly overused ...
www.lenssniper.com (external link)
Kit

sponsored links
RandyS
Goldmember
1,046 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 04, 2011 10:07 |  #2

Even if your external drive is only hooked up to USB 2.0, 2.5 Mb/s is pretty awful performance.

Have you tried just doing a file copy with the OS instead of using EOS Utility to move the files?

FindJammer
THREAD ­ STARTER
414 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 04, 2011 10:27 |  #3

Yeah, this is what I was thinking ...

The 2.5Mb/s was using just the OS to do the copy!!! As the EOS utilitiy seemed slow when I initially did a backup. This is what freaked me out.

I'm going to have a proper look at the netbook setup tomorrow and see if I can find anything that might be affecting this process.

Jammer
Kit

RandyS
Goldmember
1,046 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 04, 2011 10:38 |  #4

FindJammer wrote in post #12702300 (external link)
Yeah, this is what I was thinking ...

The 2.5Mb/s was using just the OS to do the copy!!! As the EOS utilitiy seemed slow when I initially did a backup. This is what freaked me out.

I'm going to have a proper look at the netbook setup tomorrow and see if I can find anything that might be affecting this process.

Are you sure you don't mean 2.5MB/s? That would still be less than 5% of USB 2.0 transfer rates.

- Are both the card & external drive on USB 2.0 ports?
- Are you using a USB card reader, or do you have your camera hooked up to do this?

FindJammer
THREAD ­ STARTER
414 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 04, 2011 11:25 |  #5

The flow is Card Reader -> USB -> Netbook -> USB -> External Drive

The drive is a Western Digital Elements SE 1Tb which according to online info should be good more than 2.5Mb/s

However ... I just found this thread ... others have been complaining about the drive prematurely spinning down and that negatively impacting performance.

Western Digital Elements SE Change Spin Down Timer (external link)

Seems this drive has had an issue for quite some time. Another lesson learned! I build all my PC's myself (including recording studio PCs / business servers) so I usually do a fair amount of digging before buying stuff and this was a bit of an impulse purchase ... tut tut ...

Anyway, it appears to have taken WD literally months to do anything about it ... they are about to release new firmware and a utility app for it.

Jammer
Kit

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,376 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 04, 2011 12:13 |  #6

Also remember that USB is very CPU dependent and netbooks aren't great in the CPU department. Running two USB devices at once like that might just be too much for it. Under the best conditions, a USB 2.0 drive like that will usually get around 20MB/sec.

shedberg
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 04, 2011 12:25 |  #7

Your USB ports might be sharing a plug on your motherboard... not sure exactly what the proper terminology is, but sometimes the USB ports aren't independant. That could cause the incredibly slow speeds. Try copying the data to your internal drive, then copying to the external from there.

My Flickr Page (external link)
6D / 7D / 16-35 II / 35 2.0 IS / 60 macro / 85 1.8 / 135 2 / 100-400 / 430EX II

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 04, 2011 12:34 |  #8

Don't know if this helps, but I use western digital elements drives for backup and I get pretty decent speeds. This is coming from a desktop with a quad core CPU and files from a fast SATA drive, though. I just did a 2GB test copy and it took about 1 minute at 30 MB/s (that's bytes, so it would be 240Mb/s)

I'd suspect the bottleneck to be the CPU or USB controller on the netbook. I'd try a CF - netbook HD, and then netbook HD to backup drive two step process.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

FindJammer
THREAD ­ STARTER
414 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 04, 2011 12:49 |  #9

Yeah, I was going to try this two step process tomorrow. BTW tkbslc I'm using the portable drive not the desktop version are you also using the portable version?

Jammer
Kit

lmitch6
539 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 04, 2011 15:28 |  #10

Sounds like it's due to the limitations of a netbook processor and USB ports. I've been going back and forth over getting a netbook or smaller laptop for field backups, but have settled on either just taking a ton of cards or carrying my MacBook Pro and using firewire.

Galleries (external link)

RHChan84
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 04, 2011 15:56 |  #11

If it's windows 7, try this
Go into Control Panel > System > Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus and find all the Generic USB Hub and USB Root Hun
Right-Click one at a time and then go to Properties and Power Management Tab and uncheck the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power

I remember having issues back when I had my BB and updating to Leaked OS it would stop or error out or sometimes brick the phone and I would have to bring it to a WindowsXP machine and reload the OS. I ended up doing this and I was able to load over 4 Leaked OS without any issues.

Canon (60D Gripped | 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS | 40mm f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 F4L IS| 430 EXII)
Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebook (external link)

flickr (external link)

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 04, 2011 16:45 |  #12

FindJammer wrote in post #12702921 (external link)
Yeah, I was going to try this two step process tomorrow. BTW tkbslc I'm using the portable drive not the desktop version are you also using the portable version?

Yeah, USB powered 2.5" size.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

P51Mstg
Goldmember
1,336 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 04, 2011 17:04 as a reply to  @ tkbslc's post |  #13

A few things. Copy everything straight to the external drive. Drives in netbooks are worthless and generally really slow....

Next... This EOS utility thing......... Are you plugging your camera into the computer with a cable???? If you are no wonder its so slow. Cameras are really slow through cables. Pull the card out and get a USB card reader, simply copy it with windows doing a drag and drop, speeds will go to where they should be.

Best wishes

Mark H

Too Much Camera Stuff......

ukcyberboy
613 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 05, 2011 05:40 |  #14

From what is being said it could be a usb power management and transfer(slow speeds come from lack of power too). What kind of speed do you get when you write the files to disk, maybe you could work on them from DD then transfer to backup?

Body | Canon 6D |
Lens | Yongnuo 50mm 1.8 |
Lens | Canon 28-70 2.8 L |
Lens | Canon 70-200is F4 L |
Lighting | Yongnuo YN600RX |
Accessories | Various Bits |‚Äč

UK_Tomcat_Fan
Goldmember
1,343 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 05, 2011 05:53 |  #15

Not sure if this is covered before, but are you plugging the laptop into the mains, as my laptops have always slowed the processor down when running battery only

Just a thought

Martin

Martin | GearList | Website: My photography (external link)
POTN Resident Jolly Roger / Super bug hater!

sponsored links

2,123 views & 0 likes for this thread
Backup Speeds - Netbook
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.