Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 22 Jun 2011 (Wednesday) 14:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

is it better to create a business with your name in it?

Seamus69
788 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 23, 2011 13:14 |  #16

I'd go with your own name b/c it's cheaper (fictitious names are more expensive to register), you are the business (name recognition), and you have an interesting name that is easily remembered. "Who took that picture?" "Don't know the first name. All I remember is that it ends with a Dong. How could I forget that?"

Canon 60D, 5Diii, 24-105, 24-70ii, 70-200 f2.8 ii is, 580ex, (2)430ex

sponsored links
photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,363 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 23, 2011 14:47 |  #17

Todd Lambert wrote in post #12645419 (external link)
Hey, if Peter Lik works, why wouldn't Dustin Dong ?

:p :lol:

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

CanonGrl01
Goldmember
1,369 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 24, 2011 13:00 |  #18

I wish my last name didn't suck. It's so hard to think of something creative that isn't played out.

5Dii | 35L | 85 1.8 | 135L | 430EXII
T2i | 50 1.8 | 18-55 | 55-250

ppchkn
64 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 24, 2011 14:11 |  #19

2D´s Photography
dD Photography
D_D Photography
(. ) ( .) Photography

lol, sorry, can´t resist it, but in all seriousness, i think double D kicks in pretty hard, and the logo can be really... easy to make, to be honest.

i´m LC fotografia (Luis Chacon photography)

I don´t have a photographers name =( that suck... but i believe that the LC gave a very nice fine touch... but well... that´s my opinion

in advance... SORRY for my english =/ i know is not the best!

stonewp
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 04, 2011 22:21 |  #20

I'd go for DustyDongPhotos

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Jul 04, 2011 22:27 |  #21

I use my name but a business name would make the business eaiser to sell and with more value when you want out.

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

Jon ­ Foster
is it safe?
4,519 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 04, 2011 23:48 |  #22

It depends on the business model. I use my name for certain business ventures but other names for different marketing angles. For example, one of my business names starts with AI. People think it's short for Artificial Intelligence but really it's just a way to get as close to the top of the Yellow Page listings as possible. Works like a charm too for our local business market.

Jon.

I shoot with a Little Canon

Check out my photos @ PBase.com (external link) & ModelMayhem.com (external link)

Edges_of_Twilight
92 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 05, 2011 00:07 |  #23

Todd Lambert wrote in post #12645427 (external link)
Hell, I'd play it up... find some cool way of playing on words. It's your name, it unique, why not use that to your advantage?

Long Dong Photography
etc...

:lol: So the long lens isn't an overcompensation for something else? ;)

I used my name, but I'm lucky to have a memorable last name that most seem to love. Beerman. :lol::cool:

I agree that using your middle name in place of your last name might be good option.

Christal ~ Music & portrait photographer (external link)
5D Mark II | 40D | Kowa Anamorphic for Bell & Howell | 2x Hensel Porty Premium Power packs | Canon 580EX II
16-35 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM | 17-55 f/2.8 IS | 50 f/1.8 | Tamron Adaptall 17mm f/3.5 MF w/ internal filters (51B)

Edges_of_Twilight
92 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 05, 2011 00:29 |  #24

Mike R wrote in post #12705264 (external link)
I use my name but a business name would make the business eaiser to sell and with more value when you want out.

True. But I think photography/service business aren't the easiest to sell. New owners means new reputation and not necessarily the same client list as any repeat customers would have built a (trusting) relationship with the previous owner. Also selling to a new owner means giving up control of the business's reputation. If he wanted to get out of the business, I think it would be much easier to liquidate the company's assets.

Personally, I find that using one's name for a photography business is more professional sounding. First impressions do matter, and a cheesy "captured moments"-ish type name might turn some off. But that might actually work better for you, depending on your client target market.

When I first started I decided on a name that was meaningful to me and (to me) had an interesting visual that came to mind with the title. I decided on a name other than my own because I wanted to work in multiple mediums and didn't want to limit myself. After a while I came to understand that if I was talking to someone about my business and handed them a card with a business name other than mine, it might get confusing. It's easier to remember a person's name than it is to remember a their name and some other business name too. Branding and brand recognition is important.

I made the switch to my own name early on, and I feel that it has served me well.

Christal ~ Music & portrait photographer (external link)
5D Mark II | 40D | Kowa Anamorphic for Bell & Howell | 2x Hensel Porty Premium Power packs | Canon 580EX II
16-35 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM | 17-55 f/2.8 IS | 50 f/1.8 | Tamron Adaptall 17mm f/3.5 MF w/ internal filters (51B)

Shamir
508 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 05, 2011 08:45 |  #25

Shamir Fersobe Photography in my case!

Shamir
My Website - Click Here (external link)

sponsored links

3,506 views & 0 likes for this thread
is it better to create a business with your name in it?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.