Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 05 Jul 2011 (Tuesday) 17:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Buying from Really Big Cameras

mtberfrombothell
334 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 05, 2011 17:07 |  #1

Anyone here has some experience with Really Big Cameras particularly if the item you bought has issues?

I bought a Feisol tripod recently and has encountered a problem with it. So far I got an email from Kerry on how to disassemble the leg but I'm still having the same problem. I'm thinking of just returning the item.

Let me know your overall experience. Thanks

sponsored links
TheWengler
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 05, 2011 19:14 |  #2

I've bought from Kerry before. Haven't had any issues though. Seemed like a nice, reasonable guy

crcal
808 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 05, 2011 19:36 as a reply to  @ TheWengler's post |  #3

I bought a PhotoClam ball head from Kerry at Really Big Cameras. He was very friendly, informative, and professional and shipped it very fast. I didn't have any problems.

Calvin
Converted to Sony A7 and love it | Gear & Feedback

sarch99
339 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 05, 2011 20:58 |  #4

I bought a PhotoClam ball head and a Feisol tripod from Kerry recently. I had an issue with my tripod when a friend unscrewed the lower section of one leg all the way. He was great at helping me get things put back together again, and I haven't had any problems since. Call him if you need to. I found him to be very responsive and helpful.

Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.

Jdmhood
455 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 06, 2011 00:34 |  #5

He is very nice when you purchase from him and responds quickly.. But once issues pops up with the merchandise, i noticed that it takes him days to get back to me on several occasions.

Bodies- 5D Mark II | 7D
Gear- Canon 100L IS Macro | Canon 135L | Sigma 50/1.4 EX DG | Canon 70-200L 2.8 Mark II | Canon 24-70L | Canon 50 f/1.8 | Canon 1.4 Extender | Speedlite 430 EX II | Speedlite 580 EX II | Kenko Extension Tube Set | Feisol CT-3442 Tripod | Feisol CM-1471 Monopod | Photo Clam PC-44NS ballhead
Currently Reading- Within the Frame: The Journey of Photographic Vision by David duChemin (external link)

mtberfrombothell
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 06, 2011 15:46 |  #6

Jdmhood wrote in post #12711304 (external link)
He is very nice when you purchase from him and responds quickly.. But once issues pops up with the merchandise, i noticed that it takes him days to get back to me on several occasions.

I noticed this also that's why I asked for some pulse here. I will just return the tripod as it is defective anyway.

MrGreen
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 06, 2011 15:59 |  #7

I've had an issue with my tripod, that I bought from him many years ago now. He's really nice and will help you out any way he can. He'll either tell you how to fix it or have you send it to him so he can. Just send him an email.

My site: www.millionflame.com (external link)
Gear: 7D - Zeikos Grip, Rebel XTi/400D - Opteka Grip, EF 24-105mm f/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8L MACRO, EF 50mm f/1.8 (Nifty Fifty), EF-s 55-250mm (Nifty Two-Fifty), Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Σ 150-500mm (Bigmos), Σ 35mm f/1.4, Σ 85mm f/1.4, Feisol CT-3442 CF Tripod, Photo Clam PC-40NS Ball head, 580 EX II Flash

frankk
825 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 06, 2011 21:40 |  #8

mtberfrombothell wrote in post #12709372 (external link)
Anyone here has some experience with Really Big Cameras particularly if the item you bought has issues?

I bought a Feisol tripod recently and has encountered a problem with it. So far I got an email from Kerry on how to disassemble the leg but I'm still having the same problem. I'm thinking of just returning the item.

Let me know your overall experience. Thanks

Be patient. He will solve all of your problems to your satisfaction. You are in very good hands! I bought a Feisol tripod, Photo Clam head and lotsa of extras. I had a small concern with the Feisol. It was solved in less than a week and I have been loving my tripod ever since.

ahendarman
851 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 06, 2011 22:53 |  #9

I purchased a Feisol tripod and Photoclam ball head from Kerry and got excellent pre and post purchase support. When I had a problem with my ball head locking up, Kerry helped me solved it. I am fully satisfied with him and highly recommend him and his company. Just be patient, sometimes it'll take a while but he'll come around.

Gear | Smugmug (external link)

ReallyBigCameras
70 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 07, 2011 19:45 |  #10

I have been traveling and have had very limited, sporadic internet/email access this week. During my brief absence, other employees have been processing and shipping orders, but they are not trained in handling customer service issues or product repairs.

I have been trying to keep up with email via my Blackberry, but have fallen a bit behind (I can only type so fast with my thumbs). If you sent an email and did not receive a reply from me, please try again. I hope to get caught up on all emails, especially any customer service issues, this weekend.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. Don't worry, if you purchased anything from Really Big Cameras, I stand behind everything I sell 100%. Satisfied customers are always my #1 goal.

Kerry Thalmann

mtberfrombothell
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 08, 2011 23:43 |  #11

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm sure Kerry will take care of things either way. I'm a little sad that the Feisol sample I got has problem.

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
6,007 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 09, 2011 08:01 |  #12

I inquired a couple differnt times, never to be responded to. and this wasnt in the last week, as you mentioned you were traveling.

Would not consider doing business with you !!!

My Gear flickr (external link)

wihakowi
158 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 15, 2011 21:37 as a reply to  @ Bianchi's post |  #13

Really Big Cameras - Buy and they die!

I know this is an old thread but it may be the only way I can vent a bit and feel that at least I stated my case.

I contacted Kerry about a month ago about which ball-heads he recomended for various kits and he responded fairly quickly with his thoughts. I then went ahead and ordered one of the model PC-40N heads, which is what he recommended for a T3i, 55-250 and 430EX. Upon receiving it and trying it out, I noticed that the "friction scale" spins freely and that there is play n the main friction knob. I also realized that perhaps I should have gone up one step to the PC-44. In the 2 weeks I have had the head, I have called three times and left messages as well as sent three detailed emails to ask questions re: the friction control and see about exchanging for a larger model (more $$ for them!).
NO response whatsoever!

They offer a 15 day "no questions asked" return policy. You need to contact them to return anything but .... they conveniently do not answer calls or emails to allow one to act on a return ( in my case an upgrade).

The ball-head itself is OK but I really don't know if it is functioning the way it is intended and that it is indeed the proper size.

At the same time I also bought a Sunwayfoto model 36 head. Functionally, the Sunwayfoto 36 was about equivilent with the Photoclam 40. It worked great but I was caught up in the China vs Korea argument so I returned the Sunway 36 (through Amazon) after a day and started the process to upgrade and check on the Photoclam. I have my regrets at this point. The established retail shops and Amazon are the only way that I know of that someone is truly going to stand behind a product and where one has some recourse after the purchase.

Personally, I don't think that is any way to run a business, especially one in a rather crowded market. Anybody who has a way to contact them - let me know!

Thanks for the ear,
Steve

jrbdmb
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 12, 2011 12:09 |  #14

wihakowi wrote in post #12942223 (external link)
I have called three times and left messages ...

Who did you call, and what is the number?  :o

I had seriously considered a Photo Clam ball head from ReallyBigCameras, but dropped them from my choices due to (1) No phone number displayed on the website at all, (2) Had to look under "ordering a Feisol tripod" to find a contact email, (3) very outdated website (the front page shows a "December shipping special" - today is September 12).

It would also be very useful to have some generic info on what type of equipment is suitable for each size ball head. I could read the specs to say that my 50D with a rented 300mm f2.8L would work fine on a PC-30N since that head supports up to "66 lbs", but I suspect most users on here would disagree. Warranty and support info on the Photo Clam products is also missing.

If I'm going to spend significant $$ on a piece of equipment, I think there should be contact information (phone and email) readily available on the website, and the information should not be outdated. Reading a web site with no phone contact info, hidden email contact info, and info that shows the website has not been updated in over 9 months does not inspire much confidence.

Note: In addition, I never received a response on my original email inquiry as to what PC ball head would work for me.

Tools: 70D, 10-22, Tamron 24-70 VC, 70-300L, 135 f2L

Andrew_WOT
Goldmember
1,418 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 12, 2011 14:04 |  #15

Adorama carries the full line of Feisol tripods. Just to know, same price, btw.

sponsored links

2,015 views & 0 likes for this thread
Buying from Really Big Cameras
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.