Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 04 Jul 2011 (Monday) 09:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Scotland Trip - Which lenses?

xhack
Goldmember
1,283 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 06, 2011 00:27 |  #31

Haha! Brilliant!. I worked the prints in Glasgow in the mid-70s when, depending on area, the standard team was reporter, photographer and minder. Sometimes, two minders . . .

~ Wallace
Gear List

sponsored links
Plumtreelad
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 06, 2011 02:05 as a reply to  @ xhack's post |  #32

If you are going to stray into the countryside then, as well as the 24 - 105 and perhaps the 10-22, I strongly recommend insect repellant. The midges are very friendly and can give you some nasty bites!

5D Mk III|7D |1DmkIV |10 -22 |24 -105 F4 IS L | 35 F2 IS | 70-200 F2.8 IS II L | 85 1.8 | 300 F2.8 IS MK II L|1.4 Extender MK III |
flickr (external link)
david kissman photography (external link)

ukcyberboy
613 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 06, 2011 04:22 |  #33

xhack wrote in post #12709305 (external link)
Actually, north east Scotland is one of the drier areas of the country, shielded as it is by the Grampians. West coast - mild and wet; east coast - colder, drier. And, hey, there are always decent weather forecasts on BBC Radio Scotland.

I would just do what we Yorkshiremen do..
Get up
LOOK OUT OF THE WINDOW.
:D
the rain is a problem but here in Gods County we like it!
Brings things to life.

Body | Canon 6D |
Lens | Yongnuo 50mm 1.8 |
Lens | Canon 28-70 2.8 L |
Lens | Canon 70-200is F4 L |
Lighting | Yongnuo YN600RX |
Accessories | Various Bits |‚Äč

JohnB57
Goldmember
1,507 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 06, 2011 05:44 |  #34

ukcyberboy wrote in post #12711870 (external link)
I would just do what we Yorkshiremen do..
Get up
LOOK OUT OF THE WINDOW.
:D
the rain is a problem but here in Gods County we like it!
Brings things to life.

And just like in Yorkshire, when you look out and can't see the hills, it's raining.

If you CAN see the hills, it's going to rain...

xhack
Goldmember
1,283 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 06, 2011 06:58 |  #35

Ach, cameras and lenses are tougher and more impervious than commonly feared. Like humans - as my scarily crusty old mother used to observe : your skin is the best waterproof you've got . . .

OP - if you've got the space, by all means bring the longer glass. But, as others point out, nice to have but it'll be rarely used.

~ Wallace
Gear List

jock3
Goldmember
1,246 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 06, 2011 07:35 |  #36

Klepper wrote in post #12702062 (external link)
I am leaving on Wednesday to Scotland, and I am taking my Case Logic SLRC-202 bag that holds 3 medium sized zoom lens (one in each side pouch, and one on my 7D) plus a small prime. I am going to birng these two for sure:

Tokina 11-16mm (scenery and inside castles)
Sigma 30mm (for inside low light shots)

I am torn on the last two between these choices:

1) Sigma 17-50mm OS (nice walk around, light, fairly fast, could also be used inside)
2) Canon 15-85mm (general walk around with nice range)
3) Canon 24-105mm (general walk around with a little more tele since I already have the wide covered)
4) Sigma 50-150mm (nice sized lens, fast with decent range)

(1)+(4) go well together and cover a nice complete range, but I am wondering if I will always be wishing the other lens was on. (2) has a great range, but then I don't know which other lens to bring with it since there would be lots of overlap. (3) has a great range too, but same issue as (2)

Any opinions would be appreciated!

I would go with #1 & #4 as you suggest that will cover a reasonable range. However there is always the shot that needs more reach, especially in the wilds, so add a 2x if you have one.
Then stay off the Whisky or it wont matter what lens you use for your blurred photos

Most Canons currently - 1D(Mks 2&3&4), 7D gripped 50D gripped x2, 40Dgripped x2, 30Dgripped, 20D gripped, 350 gripped, 300. with L lenses

WEBSITES - http://knockhillimages​.smugmug.com/ (external link)
& http://aviationandmari​timeimages.smugmug.com​/ (external link)

JohnB57
Goldmember
1,507 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 06, 2011 08:20 |  #37

I think the Klepper has already schlepped - but I wouldn't go anywhere without my 70-200 (yeh - I know it not on the list!) as in old cities like Edinburgh, there are details and points of interest that warrant a medium tele and also, well - all the wide shots have been done. It's a bit of a truism though that the lens you need is always the one you haven't got...

sponsored links

2,582 views & 0 likes for this thread
Scotland Trip - Which lenses?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.