Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Jul 2011 (Tuesday) 23:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Thoughts on Refurbished Cameras?

paintyourxtarget
96 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 05, 2011 23:26 |  #1

Sorry if this is a common thread topic, but I want to weigh in everyone's opinion about purchasing a refurbished DSLR. I had a rebel xti for years, but sold it--I am and always will be a recreational amateur, so minute differences in quality won't affect me too badly.

I noticed that for my xti, the image quality (bought all the lenses at the same time too) had worsened progressively over time--it required higher ISO, fps didn't seem as fast as before, etc. maybe this is just all in my head, but it makes sense because I didn't exactly treat it like gold--I had it for so long, and I took it along several vacations.

If that decreased quality isn't entirely subjective and in my head--which if very well could have been--would that also be evident in a refurbished camera? what parts are generally new and which are used? is the quality of a refurbished camera lessened enough that any of you would discourage purchasing one? thanks in advance for your input!

for me, it would either be a tossup between a refurbished T2i, or a new T1i.

sponsored links
MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Jul 05, 2011 23:31 |  #2

I had a 30D and couldn't tell it from a new one. Search the forums, there are a lot of posts about refurbished equipment. I wouldn't think twice about buying one and that may very be the route I take if I buy a MK IV this year.

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

paintyourxtarget
THREAD ­ STARTER
96 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 06, 2011 00:15 |  #3

I've read up a little bit, and it seems like I'd be taking a risk with the shutter count. should I just go for a new T1i from Amazon, since they're the same price? Or does a relatively low shutter count mean nothing?

Photo.by.Wu
38 posts
Joined May 2011

Jul 06, 2011 00:25 |  #4

I would buy a refurb camera in a heartbeat and that's what I will be doing when I get enough money to buy a 5D2. with a brand new canon you get a 1 year warranty and 90 day with a refurb. I do remember adorama has a 1 year warranty on their canon refurb.

paintyourxtarget wrote in post #12711225 (external link)
I've read up a little bit, and it seems like I'd be taking a risk with the shutter count. should I just go for a new T1i from Amazon, since they're the same price? Or does a relatively low shutter count mean nothing?

Canon T2i with Zeikos Grip
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
Canon Speedlite 430EX II
Flickr (external link)

GregoryF
Goldmember
2,322 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 06, 2011 00:28 |  #5

Many of the refurbished Canon cameras are new. they could have been pulled off an assembly line, been sales demos, open box returns, returned for something minor, etc. The odd'd are you will not be able to tell them from new. You have the added benifit that they have been personally checked out and serviced by a Canon tech. I would not hesitate buying my next camera refurbished. I have bought refurbished lenses and would do it again in a heartbeat. Check out Adorama's refurbished cameras ,they get them direct from Canon and offer a 12 month warranty as opposed when you buy from Canon it is 90 day's.

6D, 5D, 7D, Eos R and too many lenses, flashes and aux. gear to list!:cool:
A simple hobby gone horribily wrong

ukcyberboy
613 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 06, 2011 04:11 |  #6

+1 for refurbished, its like getting a new camera from a shop that the technician has taken out of the box. He has then checked everything for you, put it back and said its fine, as opposed to grabbing one off the shelf straight from factory line.
And bonus you can get a newer better camera.

Body | Canon 6D |
Lens | Yongnuo 50mm 1.8 |
Lens | Canon 28-70 2.8 L |
Lens | Canon 70-200is F4 L |
Lighting | Yongnuo YN600RX |
Accessories | Various Bits |​

Sparky98
Goldmember
1,129 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 06, 2011 06:24 |  #7

I usually buy everything brand new because there is something about being the only one to have owned the item. However after my 40D was stolen I had to make a choice between new or refurbished and since I really didn't have the money to buy a new 7D I purchased a refurbished camera through the Canon Loyalty Program. My camera looked just like new and has operated like new since I got it in February and mine had a shutter count of ~1100 . I still prefer to buy new but if I don't have the money then I won't hesitate to buy refurbished if that is the only way to get the camera I want.

Joe
5DIII

tdon187
91 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 06, 2011 06:32 |  #8

Given the choice of new 500D/T1i or refurbed 550D/T2i, I'd take the T2i without thinking once never-mind twice

Canon 60D | Canon 15-85mm IS | Canon 100mm 2.8 USM Macro | Tamron 70-300mm DI VC USD | 430 EX II
flickr (external link)

HelenOster
That's me!
4,503 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 06, 2011 07:07 |  #9

All refurbished units sold by Adorama Camera are factory refurbished by the manufacturer, for example, Canon cameras are refurbished at their manufacturing plant in Newport News, VA.; the room that houses Canon’s entire refurb process is said to be completely dust-free, and with every employee working in there being required to wear special booties!

They can have simply been pulled from the production line if something appears faulty, or if it hasn't passed the final inspection. Most of the time it is a very minor issue that needs correcting, nevertheless, once it is pulled from the normal flow of production, it gets flagged as a refurbished model, so you may get a unit straight from the factory that has never been used.

A refurb may also be an ex-store demo, possibly used in field tests or sales displays, or it may have been ordered in error and returned to the retailer (who can't then sell it as 'new' so it has to be sent back to the manufacturer for refurbishment).

All refurbished items will have been checked over by the manufacturer by hand, inspected very thoroughly, diagnosed, and calibrated by experienced technicians, and could therefore turn out to be more dependable than a new item - which will only have been checked by a process of systematic quality control protocol (ie by random sampling as it comes off the conveyor belt).

All Canon refurbished products from Adorama come with a 1 year return-to-Adorama warranty; the warranty we give covers anything the manufacturers warranty covers for a new unit, including shutter defects.
All other refurbs sold by Adorama come with a 90-day return-to-manufacturer warranty.
In addition, Refurbs come into us with the firmware updates and latest fixes which were carried out at whatever stage it was at when we took delivery.

If you need additional firmware updates you can download them, but for any hardware fixes the unit would have to be sent to Canon.
[By the way, if you send a camera (any camera) to Canon for any hardware work, they will always update the firmware].

As to the individual history of a single item, the honest answer is we have no way of knowing. Refurbished equipment is not like new inventory; the manufacturers contact us when they have a batch to sell, and the availability is unpredictable. However, if you were to ask my personal opinion on whether the equipment that Adorama offers as refurbished is typically less than a year old, based on the regularity with which we receive batches, I'd be inclined to think it is all relatively new.

I hope this helps, but you are most welcome to email me directly: elen@adorama.com (external link) if you need additional information or advice

Trique ­ Daddi
Goldmember
1,082 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 06, 2011 07:32 |  #10

You can also chose to add an extended warranty if you would like. I bought a 7D from CLP and added a 3year extended from Adorama through MACK for $129. I did have to send it back to Canon after about 3 weeks for a shutter but have been very happy with it!

Canon 7DMKII,7D 40D, 20D, CANON 100-400mm IS 4.5/5.6L, Canon 70-200mm 2.8L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 macro, Kenko Extension Tubes, Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS, 580EX II Flash,Gittos MH 5580 monopod, Thinktank Airport Takeoff.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 06, 2011 07:54 |  #11

You'll have to decide which one you want. I've only read one story of a refurbished camera not meeting the buyers expectations, it was a 5DII.

johneo
Goldmember
1,428 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Jul 06, 2011 11:26 |  #12

I've got two refurbed dSLR's (5D & 10D) and both came in as good condition as my new 5D & 10D did when I originally ordered them. No problems with either! I have no second thoughts of buying a refurb camera! (from Adorama!)

My next camera will likely be a refurbed 5DMKII ... some day! (I should get a job first :rolleyes:) ... to accompany my old "new" one. Please, leave one there for me :)

2 - 5DMKII's, Powershot SX 150 IS
7D, 5D, IR/5D, 10D, IR/10D, Elan 7NE
17-40 L, 24-70 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 100-400 L IS,
TS-E 24 f/3.5 L, 28-135 IS (x2), 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8 550EX, 430EX
40mm pancake

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,530 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 06, 2011 11:34 |  #13

You guys are so spoiled with this.
Refub, CLP.
I have nothing of it and I'm in one hour drive from Buffalo.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

nozlep
92 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 06, 2011 14:52 |  #14

I bought a 5dII refurb earlier this year when canon offered 10% of all refurbs. It had 23 actuations, just like brand new. I plan to pick up a refurb 7d to replace my xs sometime in the future. I am very pleased with mine.

HelenOster
That's me!
4,503 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 07, 2011 01:52 |  #15

johneo wrote in post #12713257 (external link)
I've got two refurbed dSLR's.....No problems with either! I have no second thoughts of buying a refurb camera! (from Adorama!)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

sponsored links

1,797 views & 0 likes for this thread
Thoughts on Refurbished Cameras?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.