Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 12 Jun 2011 (Sunday) 20:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fixed Bike, Biking and Photography -- Pics and Two Questions!

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 03, 2011 03:49 |  #331

samueli wrote in post #12696092 (external link)
I have an old school huffy just like yours, Tony. I still keep it maintained and ride it sometimes when I visit my mom. I think it was a silver gray color when I first received it (as a teenager...), but I had stripped and repainted it a metallic green and upgraded forks and handlebars when it was a couple of years old. Pretty much the same bike as yours though. Thanks for the memory trip! I rode that bike hard back in the day.

Heh! It's something when you end up with something so "old" that keeps working:)! I'm happy with the mode of biking that this provides for me, so I'm not Jonesin' for a fancy new one, and I'm building up my capabilities to pack "serious" camera gear!!!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links
tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 05, 2011 13:53 |  #332

Hey gang!

I made it out yesterday to the Fourth of July festivities, but have no pics from it yet, so I' not posting this on the photo sharing thread...

But two things: first, I actually used my big photo backpack (see the beginning of this thread) and I packed my 5DC, the 70-200 f/2.8 IS, the 24-105, and my Manfrotto monopod -- my biggest load yet! I admit I felt a little less steady, but still made it through the afternoon...

But, at the end of the day my 5D mirror fell off! This is a "known problem" and they have offered a free fix for it, but it was still disturbing and also I have no experience with packing and shipping things free or not -- any tips?

Anyway, at some point I'll have photos for the photo sharing thread and save any chat for this thread:)!

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

blueM
"I am the Prince of Dorkness"
1,662 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 06, 2011 06:49 |  #333

I boxed mine up with bubble wrap and took it to FedEx Office. When the gal saw the amount I listed for insurance, she decided my pack job was insufficient. She repacked/re-boxed it for a small price.

I figured she had some idea of the kinds of abuse the packages take, so I took her advice.

Edit:
BTW Tony, I sent mine in when I knew I could afford to be without it for a week. I wanted to avoid exactly what happened to you - failure during use, even if just a biking outing.

Kevin

Gear List

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 06, 2011 13:42 |  #334

Thanks, Kevin, for the info!

I've gotten email from Canon and now from UPS (I guess that's the preferred shipper) with a shipping label and such. Now it's just a question of whether I have enough packing materials and a sufficient box or whether to just pay the UPS store to package it. Ah, the adventure of it all:)!

Tony

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 06, 2011 21:05 |  #335

Well, gang, whoever still checks this thread, I had the sad task of dropping my 5D off to go in for the mirror repair today.

My trusty bike did the honor of transporting us:

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tonylong/image/136205375/original.jpg

I didn't only have the 5D, of course -- my trusty old 30D came along to memorialize the occasion, mounted with my 16-35:

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tonylong/image/136205376/original.jpg

And then we moved close to get some portraits:

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tonylong/image/136205377/original.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tonylong/image/136205378/original.jpg

And then it was over -- the poor guy was stripped of a lens, battery, card, and even a strap in the end. He now awaits tomorrow's wrapping and shipping.

So my bike and I decided to do some happier memories at a crafts store where I have bought framing supplies -- they also have a free service where I have bought big frames and matting and have had several 11x14 prints framed/matted for about $50 each:

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tonylong/image/136205558/original.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/tonylong/image/136205559/original.jpg

PS -- it drives me kinda nuts when buildings have lines going different ways from the ground and each other!

Tony

flowrider
Goldmember
3,607 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 29, 2011 01:59 |  #336

My friends rebuilt an old cruiser bike on Sunday when we were supposed to ride. I made a short video and followup video of us finishing the build. Have a look if you're interested.

HERE (external link)

Screen cap

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 02, 2011 23:13 |  #337

Flowrider, nice to see a contribution to this thread!

Tony

friz
Goldmember
1,595 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 04, 2011 09:27 |  #338

Cool thread. I love to use my bike when I am exploring a location. I use a crank forward bike that puts the seat closer to the ground so I am able to stand straddling the bike and shoot. For these excursions I prefer a sling bag so I can get out my camera with out taking of my pack. I have also been known to use velcro straps to lash a mono or tripod to the top tube. In my frame bag lives the essential phone, CO2 pump, patches, tools, etc.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i47.photobucket​.com …/f184/frizz1/IM​G_6292.jpg (external link)

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 04, 2011 19:02 |  #339

Hey, for those who are seeing this thread for the first time, be sure to check out and chime into the thread that this one "spawned":

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1060180

Tony

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 10, 2014 22:52 |  #340

Well, wow, my memory got stirred to look back at this thread, a "trip down memory lane", especially since the "Bikography" thread that this thread inspired is still active:

Tony

tonylong
THREAD ­ STARTER
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 25, 2016 22:34 |  #341

Hey, I'm bumping this "old" thread because people have popped up on our Bikography/Biking Photographer thread, and asking "What's this all about?"

Well, for those who haven't checked this fun and inspirational thread or that "Sharing" thread, hey, it's fun stuff!:

Tony

sponsored links

27,690 views & 0 likes for this thread
Fixed Bike, Biking and Photography -- Pics and Two Questions!
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.