Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 30 Jun 2011 (Thursday) 02:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

call me crazy but... (switching from canon to leica)

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 06, 2011 02:44 |  #91

Sell it all except the 5d II, tilt shifts, 70-200 and 50 1.4.

Then you can buy a leica. And you'll thank me.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

sponsored links
nich0145
90 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 06, 2011 02:54 |  #92

At one point I thought of switching over to Leica too.

Its really down to what you shoot really, my initial reason was that I'm a travel photographer and a m9 would be perfect to do street photography and to bring on a hike.

Although my thought has since been long revised after my previous few trips. My dslr just works, up in the mountain and down on the street, Asia's monsoon rain, rain forest, the flexibility of my zoom lenses. Its very satisfying that my canon spring to life every time I switch it on no matter what it has been through.

I've now see the Leica as a "Very expensive toy", that I would be more than happy to whip it out once in a while but if I'm going to pack my bag for my next travel, I will not look any further than my dslrs and their lenses.

I am not in anyway trying to suggest that Leica's camera its not a solidly engineered precision tools. They truly are, however dslrs are being designed with working out in field environment in mind, especially the more expensive professional series (hence the magnesium and weather sealing). While Leica is being made to last in mind. I don't have to baby my gear and when I expect them to work, they never fail to do so. Not to mention they are relatively cheaper to replaced too if damaged, hell you can duck tape a lens that's fallen apart to make them work just that much longer.

They are two different breed of animals, it really down to what you do, if your canon is your "toy", I see no problem if you want to switch from one "toy" to another.

Nicholas

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 06, 2011 03:59 |  #93

les_au wrote in post #12711691 (external link)
call me curiouse but why 2 70-200 VR II ? add to that the massive ammount of duplication you have in your setup with the mix of canon L primes, zooms and the small collection of sigma lenses you seem to have aquired somewhere along the way

Call me curious but why a 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM and a 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM? Especially since the DO lenses are so much loved for how well they manage to capture repetitive patterns without any moire interference effects ;)

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

les_au
739 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 06, 2011 08:17 |  #94

pwm2 wrote in post #12711847 (external link)
Call me curious but why a 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM and a 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM? Especially since the DO lenses are so much loved for how well they manage to capture repetitive patterns without any moire interference effects ;)

we could be here all day.

gear list

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,561 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 06, 2011 09:28 |  #95

Leica? No thank you!

It's the typical modern Leica formula. It does a few things EXCEPTIONALLY well, and is quite compromised on the rest. They can do that and still sell because of their name.

Unless EVERYTHING you shoot is tailored for the strengths of the Leica camera of your choosing, I'd definitely 100% stick with Canon.

Or... if you are the type who wants to buy and own stuff just to make people go ohhhhh and ahhhhh, then get the Leica and display it proudly, and try to shoot with it at least once or twice a decade. Don't laugh, there are people like that, and many of them buy these Leicas.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

Jaynez
771 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 06, 2011 10:17 |  #96

u can do W/E when U R rich.. for a rich dude, one million dollar is nothing TBH.

5D Mark II | 6D
24-70mm F2.8L | 17-40mm F4L | Canon 85mm F1.8 USM | Elinchrom D-Lite 4 IT

Flick (external link) | Facebook (external link)

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 06, 2011 10:42 |  #97

Jaynez wrote in post #12712870 (external link)
u can do W/E when U R rich.. for a rich dude, one million dollar is nothing TBH.

That obviously depends on the definition of "rich". A dude may consider himself "rich" for having food on the table, a loving wife and one or two healty toddlers.

Switching to money, "rich" is still very relative. It depends a lot on the average income of all people around you. If the average income is $15/month, a man would feel rich with $1000 in his pocket.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

Jaynez
771 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 06, 2011 10:55 |  #98

pwm2 wrote in post #12712992 (external link)
That obviously depends on the definition of "rich". A dude may consider himself "rich" for having food on the table, a loving wife and one or two healty toddlers.

Switching to money, "rich" is still very relative. It depends a lot on the average income of all people around you. If the average income is $15/month, a man would feel rich with $1000 in his pocket.

Use Ur logic, and think about who i am referring to...on this specific thread. When I say "rich", was talking generally about the entire world, not for an specific society.
If U have $1k in ur pocket and call urself rich, what other people would say ?

5D Mark II | 6D
24-70mm F2.8L | 17-40mm F4L | Canon 85mm F1.8 USM | Elinchrom D-Lite 4 IT

Flick (external link) | Facebook (external link)

thenextguy
Goldmember
2,513 posts
Gallery: 88 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 06, 2011 11:09 |  #99

ktownhero wrote in post #12682971 (external link)
Personally, if I were you, I'd hire some Canon engineers to build you a custom camera made out of unobtanium.

There's a lot of funny responses in this thread, but this was my favorite. :lol:

Steve -- Website (external link) -- Flickr (external link) -- Tumblr (external link) -- Instagram (external link) -- 500px (external link) (New!)
Canon 5Ds R | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 35 F2 IS | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200L f/2.8 II

NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 06, 2011 11:09 |  #100

pwm2 wrote in post #12712992 (external link)

Wow... way to take a word completely out of context to create an unneeded moral argument. not sure why.

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

ganzosrevenge
35 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 06, 2011 11:46 |  #101

i LOVE my T2i (granted with some errors like a shoddy grip that unglues) but, I have to agree with those who say a Leica SLR is a repetition in failure (SLs being too expensive, the DMR (great idea, flawed execution), etc.)

The ONLY way I would get a Leica SLR would be for an old Leicaflex SL (the brightest finder I have ever seen) and if what I was shooting required absolute focusing perfection. The reason being the focus throw distance from infinity to MFD. On my Canon 24-105, the distance is about 120 degrees. On my 50mm f/1.2 AI-S that resides on my F3, it's about 100 degrees. On my 50/2 'Cron from 1965, it's about 280 degrees. For AF, that would require a much greater effort on the AF motor due to the greater level of focusing nuance that can be attained, but at the same time, a manual user can more easily attain better focus due to the fact that the same 1 deg throw isn't as massive in effect (in fact it could sharpen an image into better focus).

Now if your heart is set on a Leica SLR, find a nice BGN one from KEH (a BGN 'flex can be had for under $100) and a 50/2 'cron. Nice, simple, kit... and remember that from that point all the way to the R9, that you have none to very few of the creature comforts that we take for granted in modern cameras. It's nice in the same way an old Morgan or an old R-R or other car is nice for a sunday drive. It's nice to enjoy the essence, but unless you grew up shooting with purely manual, it's not going to make your workflow any more productive. And as for the S2 with its lenses, yes they are spectacular, yes they are devastatingly sharp (and proof why I like that Leica doesn't make too many zooms, they're interested in perfection more than convenience), but are you buying Leica for the name cachet, or is there something so amazing about it that can't be done with a 5D2? If anything, you're more limited by the Leica's limited lens set and Leica's restriction to ISO 1250 (which if we know Leica, is because they feel their clientele wants to see ZERO noise).

So get a Leica if you so desire, nobody is stopping you. We as a forum just want you to know that Leica's SLRs have had a track record of failing (and almost bringing the company along with it), and that what you may gain in "oohs and aahs" among the uneducated, you won't gain with the well-spoken shooters unless your shots are as good as the camera you can use. However, if you must go Leica, don't go for it as a primary camera, get an old film one from a reliable used dealer, a 50 'cron, and go out and shoot a raw, non-auto camera. But for most of today's workflow, the digital array and canons you possess will do the job just fine.

Jason (A T2i owner, and a big fan of Flickr).

Canon T2i | 18-55 f/3.5-f/5.6 | 24-105 f/4 L IS USM
FLICKR: www.flickr.com/ganzono​my (external link)

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 06, 2011 12:55 |  #102

Based on what I have seen, this decision has nothing to do with taking images, just choosing the crowd one wants to hang with.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 06, 2011 13:01 |  #103

bohdank wrote in post #12713812 (external link)
Based on what I have seen, this decision has nothing to do with taking images, just choosing the crowd one wants to hang with.

Well let's be honest, when the Canon crowd acts like this guy:

Jaynez wrote in post #12712870 (external link)

Jaynez wrote in post #12713040 (external link)
Use Ur logic, and think about who i am referring to...on this specific thread. When I say "rich", was talking generally about the entire world, not for an specific society.

I can't blame him one bit for wanting to hang out with Leica guys.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 06, 2011 13:23 |  #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaynez View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaynez View Post

Heck, I could not even understand what all that stuff meant.

Out of curiosity, I looked up the OP. He has started something like just over thirty threads. Almost all of them have been simple questions about buying lenses and cameras. He has only posted 3 or 4 photos....one rather out of focus shot a bird, and the other two or three were photos of some lenses stacked up on a black chair. That's it.
This guy does not seem to really be about "taking photos". He apparently just likes to impress others with "look at all the stuff I buy". Bling. Bling, bling.....:rolleyes:;)

regards, george w

"It's also obvious that people determined to solve user error with more expensive equipment will graduate to expensive user error."
Dave N.

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 06, 2011 13:28 |  #105

mikekelley wrote in post #12713846 (external link)
Well let's be honest, when the Canon crowd acts like this guy:

I can't blame him one bit for wanting to hang out with Leica guys.

you've clearly never spent an appreciable amount of time with a leicaphile. :p

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

sponsored links

20,289 views & 0 likes for this thread
call me crazy but... (switching from canon to leica)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.