Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 23 Jul 2009 (Thursday) 22:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The Film Thread (Red Ring not Required) A place for Analog Photography Nuts to Talk

TheBurningCrown
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 05, 2011 01:36 |  #661

krb wrote in post #12705841 (external link)
It's loud enough that they sometimes hear the shutter but by then it's too late.

So very evil :twisted:.

Looks like everyone is loving Colonial Williamsburg, though!

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Jul 05, 2011 01:46 |  #662

TheBurningCrown wrote in post #12705892 (external link)
So very evil :twisted:.

Looks like everyone is loving Colonial Williamsburg, though!

It was a beautiful day and there was a free concert on DOG St. The only thing not to like was that wierd guy walking around with the funny looking box that made clicky sounds. :cool:

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

Malsam
382 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 05, 2011 10:18 |  #663

krb wrote in post #12705787 (external link)
35mm or something larger?

35mm! I'm not sure are there hybrids scanners that takes both negatives and slides but I do own 1 many years ago but the scanning results was terrible. I think I still have it somewhere lolz.

Gear Stuffs

artemisn
426 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 06, 2011 12:24 |  #664

Heya all - I'm looking to get into film sometime soon (somewhere over the next paycheck? :) ), and was just curious if there was anything specific to look for in a film body and film. I want something that'll take my m42 (screw mount) lenses with no adapter, and everything seems to only differ in if it's capable of Aperture Priority or 100% manual. I'd prefer something with Av though, for what it's worth.

I'd be using it primarily outside, so I was looking at some ISO 50 film from Ilford (external link), so I was thinking of starting with that and developing them at the local CVS before reading up on developing in the darkroom my university offers.

I've seen some great shots in the past few pages, just wanted to check if I was missing anything!

Richard
Your friendly neighborhood photographer/organist-in-the-making
www.anvil.cc (external link)

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 06, 2011 12:28 |  #665

Do your m42 lenses have stop-down metering levers?

I doubt CVS can do Pan F+ unless they send it out. They are usually only C-41, which would include the chromogenic B&W films, such as Ilford's XP2. If you do your own film processing, then Pan F+ and Perceptol at 1+2/72F make a great combination. Also check out Fuji Acros 100.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

TheBurningCrown
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 06, 2011 12:30 |  #666

Why with no adapter? IIRC Canon EOS cameras can take M42 lenses with an adapter, and you still have all the advantages of being able to use Canon accessories and glass!

You can pick up a used Elan II or 7 for ~$40-60. If you want to go with something less expensive, you can probably find a 650 or 630 for ~$20 or $25 bucks. I had a 650 and upgraded to the 7E because I wanted better AF and controls (and now I want to upgrade to a 3 or 1v, if I can find one for ~$150).

That film you linked to is B&W film, and your local CVS won't develop it. You'll have to either develop it yourself (trust me, it's very easy!) or get some C-41 film. Then again, since CVS screwed up a good dozen rolls of my film (at three separate times) and were very rude about it, I've been avoiding them like the plague.
EDIT: Yeah, beat to the punch on the C-41 by Tony :).

Are you planning on wet printing or scanning?

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

artemisn
426 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 06, 2011 12:55 |  #667

I could work with the adapters I'm already using, true. I'd just prefer something that takes the lenses without one, but that may just be naivete speaking. Both my lenses have the stop-down metering levers, yep! I read somewhere out there that that'll allow focusing wide open, and the camera pushes the pin in and closes the aperture blades when you hit the shutter. Which is a bit of a reason to go for a native mount, but not too much, since my 30D takes the lenses very well.

I wrote down and will be looking at all the film types you two recommended! I'll look into doing my own development, but that still won't stop me from being nervous for a while. :) I've heard varying degrees of hatred and happiness about CVS's developing, so I figured I should at least give them one try. Walgreens seems to get good reviews all-around, and there's a fairly large family-run camera shop that still develops near me. I'll have to wait until my car gets moved down to me before I can consider them though.

So, CVS does no black and white film? C-41 seems pretty cheap on Amazon also, should I be looking for a specific brand regarding quality?

I've got no clue on wet printing/scanning. I'm just getting my feet wet with the whole film deal, so I figured it was time to start reading up on things.

Richard

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 06, 2011 13:02 |  #668

artemisn wrote in post #12713810 (external link)
So, CVS does no black and white film? C-41 seems pretty cheap on Amazon also, should I be looking for a specific brand regarding quality?

CVS, Walgreens, Costco, etc. are generally limited to C-41 films. So no slides and no 'normal' black and white. Ilford and Kodak both make black and white film that uses the C-41 chemicals and drug stores can handle those easily enough.

I've got no clue on wet printing/scanning.

Pretty much every place that develops film in exchange for cash can also scan that film and give you a DVD with the images. This is convenient but the images on the disc are often low resolution with lots of auto adjustment applied. There are decent 35mm film scanners that are not horribly expensive and they'll give you more control over the process.

"Wet" printing requires a dedicated darkroom while simply developing B&W film can be done in the kitchen sink.

-- Ken
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

Ranie ­ Dib
408 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 06, 2011 13:10 |  #669

For color film, try Kodak Portra 400. Trust me, you WILL love it. And BW Film is easy to develop, but expect some hitches in your first tries. :P Compare the prices of your local camera shop for developing, maybe it's a little bit higher than CVS, costco etc. I'd rather go to the local camera shop. As for the camera, there are a ton of SLRs that accept m42. Prakticas are one and they sell for peanuts. So are the zenits. The Zenit 12xp is nice. If you have money to spend get a very nice Spotmatic. But I'd rather put the money towards a Flatbed Scanner. :)

www.raniedib.com (external link)

artemisn
426 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 06, 2011 13:15 |  #670

Hmm. I'll have to start digging around in what our photography department has. We've only got two professors, but one is hellbent on using film 90% of the time. I'm more of a self/internet-taught guy, so I'll have to see what equipment they have I can try out.

For C-41 film, does any brand stand out for color tone/quality? I'm not sure if I should start experimenting with b/w or color, but I don't want things to be too washed out if they are in color. Also, for the distant future, does velvia require anything special development-wise?

(I suppose I should find an actual camera right around now too)

Edit : I'll make the Portra my first color roll to try, thanks! I'll look into some of the Prakticas and the Zenit 12xp also.

Richard

TheBurningCrown
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 06, 2011 14:30 |  #671

For C-41 film, does any brand stand out for color tone/quality? I'm not sure if I should start experimenting with b/w or color, but I don't want things to be too washed out if they are in color. Also, for the distant future, does velvia require anything special development-wise?

All depends on your preference. You can go fast, slow, rich, muted, color, B&W. Slower films tend to have a smoother grain and deeper color, but you have to put up with the speed. Faster films tend to have a harsher grain and a thinner color, but are more convenient.

I've been shooting Portra 160NC and Ektar lately (both Kodak), but I just picked up a roll of Fuji Velvia 50 (which is E-6, slide film not developed at CVS) to get my feet wet in that. It's mostly preference, but the new Portra 400 is supposed to be very good for scanning and should get you started.

Keep in mind: for generic vs. professional films, the generic films have a longer shelf-life and reach peak while sitting on a shelf. Professional films have a shorter shelf-life and reach peak the moment they're shipped. If you buy a "professional" level type of a film (ex. Portra), then you should shoot it soon after you buy it (within reason, of course).

I've got no clue on wet printing/scanning. I'm just getting my feet wet with the whole film deal, so I figured it was time to start reading up on things.

I hope this isn't too forward, but what do you plan on doing with the film? There are generally two options: wet printing (aka darkroom setup with photographic paper) or scanning. They give very different results, but the latter is definitely cheaper (though arguably not easier!).

The reason I ask is simple: why shoot film is you get the negatives processed and just throw them in a closet (which believe me, some of my friends have done)?

Ranie Dib wrote in post #12713917 (external link)
For color film, try Kodak Portra 400. Trust me, you WILL love it.

I'm not a big fan of the new Kodak films for wet printing. Portra is just...eh. Ektar is slightly better: a pain in the a** to color balance but gives great results when you get it right.

For scanning both are apparently very good, though.

artemisn wrote in post #12713954 (external link)
I'll look into some of the Prakticas and the Zenit 12xp also.

I'd recommend picking up a Canon EOS film camera just for kicks, regardless of whatever other camera you buy. You can use whatever Canon lenses/accessories you have, and they're pretty cheap. KEH has "BGN" grade 650/630 cameras for ~$15.

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

Ranie ­ Dib
408 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 06, 2011 19:00 |  #672

TheBurningCrown wrote in post #12714355 (external link)
I'd recommend picking up a Canon EOS film camera just for kicks, regardless of whatever other camera you buy. You can use whatever Canon lenses/accessories you have, and they're pretty cheap. KEH has "BGN" grade 650/630 cameras for ~$15.

I agree with this, I have not read the part in the earlier posts about the suggestion for EOS cameras. For me the biggest plus on using a modern EOS camera is the very quick loading of film and the different kinds of metering. Plus if you already have speedlights or EOS lenses, you have a whole lot of stuff to try. :) If you really want the old mechanical SLR feel, then it is your choice. :) Tho with them, I will not depend on the meter entirely, Sunny 16 is your friend. :cool:

benesotor
Goldmember
1,831 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 06, 2011 19:06 |  #673

So I'm after advice for film to take for a trip this summer. I'm going backpacking in Europe, and I just can't afford the weight of my 7D :(

I'm going to take my Canon AV-1 (which I'm secretly really excited about using!) and I need some film. I usually shoot on Provia 100/400 but I want to avoid paying for 5/6 rolls of slide film to be processed.

I'm after some negative film that has similar properties to Provia, anybody got any suggestions?

5D Mark II | 5D Classic | Zeiss 50mm f/1.7 Planar T* | Nikon 24mm AI f/2.8
Panasonic GH2

Flickr (external link)

Ranie ­ Dib
408 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 06, 2011 19:12 |  #674

New toy. :)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 400 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

All I need now is a Flatbed Scanner. What are your thoughts on the Epson 4490? Will only be using it for uploading in the net.

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 06, 2011 19:17 |  #675

Ranie Dib wrote in post #12715849 (external link)
New toy. :)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 400 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

All I need now is a Flatbed Scanner. What are your thoughts on the Epson 4490? Will only be using it for uploading in the net.

I use the Epson 700. It's good but I found the normal film holders unsatisfactory. I bought a film holder with anti-newton glass from http://betterscanning.​com/ (external link) and find it much easier to use.

Software is important too and I like VueScan over the Epson software.

-- Ken
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

sponsored links

617,644 views & 1,032 likes for this thread
The Film Thread (Red Ring not Required) A place for Analog Photography Nuts to Talk
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.