Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 30 Jun 2011 (Thursday) 02:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

call me crazy but... (switching from canon to leica)

crazeazn
398 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 06, 2011 13:39 |  #106

Get the leica M, get on the list for lenses.

the shooting styles for slr/rf is very different. since you have the financial flexibility go for it (keep both)

John H.
some bodies, some lenses

sponsored links
mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 06, 2011 13:43 |  #107

alt4852 wrote in post #12714027 (external link)
you've clearly never spent an appreciable amount of time with a leicaphile. :p

No, but I imagine the people who are able to afford Leica's are able to afford the education which lets them converse with proper grammar :lol:

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 06, 2011 14:02 |  #108

The question is: if a Leica, or a Nikon, or a Hassleblad....or ( fill in the blank ) is bought......will there actually be any meaningful photographs created ?

regards, george w

"It's also obvious that people determined to solve user error with more expensive equipment will graduate to expensive user error."
Dave N.

CAL ­ Imagery
Goldmember
3,375 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 06, 2011 15:48 |  #109

mikekelley wrote in post #12713846 (external link)
Well let's be honest, when the Canon crowd acts like this guy:

I can't blame him one bit for wanting to hang out with Leica guys.

Yeah, I'd rather hang out with Paris Hiltons as well.

And when did Canon make a 400 f/5.6 IS?

Christian

banpreso
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 06, 2011 16:01 |  #110

george m w wrote in post #12713996 (external link)
Heck, I could not even understand what all that stuff meant.

Out of curiosity, I looked up the OP. He has started something like just over thirty threads. Almost all of them have been simple questions about buying lenses and cameras. He has only posted 3 or 4 photos....one rather out of focus shot a bird, and the other two or three were photos of some lenses stacked up on a black chair. That's it.
This guy does not seem to really be about "taking photos". He apparently just likes to impress others with "look at all the stuff I buy". Bling. Bling, bling.....:rolleyes:;)

who cares, good for him for spending his money supporting the camera industry and making him happy along the way. most people who buy ferrari cars are not race car drivers, same goes for a lot of other types of gears and toys. since when did people need to justify their gears with their photography? OP can buy the hubble telescope for all i care, and it would be AWESOME! :D

Flickr (external link)

JimmyDude911
772 posts
Joined May 2011

Jul 06, 2011 19:10 |  #111

george m w wrote in post #12714222 (external link)
The question is: if a Leica, or a Nikon, or a Hassleblad....or ( fill in the blank ) is bought......will there actually be any meaningful photographs created ?

nope

Canon EOS 5D Mark ii | Canon 50/1.4 |Rokinon 85/1.4 |
Leica M4-P | 40/1.4 Nokton |
Bronica ETRS | 50/2.8 | 75/2.8 |
flickr (external link)

banpreso
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 06, 2011 19:22 |  #112

JimmyDude911 wrote in post #12715838 (external link)
nope

does that matter when you are a rich man and just feel like buying stuff for fun?

nope!

Flickr (external link)

Royraiden
425 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 06, 2011 22:35 |  #113

So much gear and no work from the OP.Do you collect gear just for the sake of it?

Canon 1D Mark III
Canon 7D
Canon 300mm f2.8 L
Canon 135 f2 L

User7
81 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 06, 2011 22:37 |  #114

banpreso wrote in post #12715909 (external link)
does that matter when you are a rich man and just feel like buying stuff for fun?

nope!

Does that matter when you're just practicing conspicuous consumption and are being called out for doing so? Nope!

Mike

hillavoider
99 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 06, 2011 23:00 |  #115

this thread is the first thread i have read that has made me not want to buy any more lenses unless they are made from pure unobtainium

nich0145
90 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 06, 2011 23:09 |  #116

banpreso wrote in post #12714856 (external link)
who cares, good for him for spending his money supporting the camera industry and making him happy along the way. most people who buy ferrari cars are not race car drivers, same goes for a lot of other types of gears and toys. since when did people need to justify their gears with their photography? OP can buy the hubble telescope for all i care, and it would be AWESOME! :D

Agree wholeheartedly :). What's with all the hate? Think some of you should give OP a break, if he has the money to afford expensive lenses that we don't, or at least I don't, it doesn't mean I have to hate him for not using it.

Nicholas

TuanTime
759 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 06, 2011 23:24 |  #117

blk-dslr wrote in post #12711247 (external link)
I haven't made my decision yet, but here's a picture of my canon L lens.
QUOTED IMAGE

Firstly, the real question is....what camera bag for all this? Say if you were to go hiking? Probably would need quite a bit of padding on the shoulder straps. Might want to opt for a carbon fiber tripod too, to save a little bit of weight over aluminum. Then again changing lenses would be a bit of a headache, better to have a body for each one just in case.

Secondly, on a side note... love him or hate him, the OP has an incredible amount of gear. To be honest, anytime I see these many lenses in one place I am in a little bit of awe. Whether it be a private collection of even at the camera store. I suppose that's how some women feel about fine jewelry or kids feel in a candy shop. Sure you won't eat all that candy... but... drool...

Thirdly to continue some more hypothetical banter... this explains the lens shortages we've all been experiencing and rise in prices... thanks A LOT OP! And we thought it was due to the earthquake in Japan, or the fall of the USD...

Fourthly, (anyone else like saying fourthly? I digress...where was I... oh yes..) furthermore, let me be the first to say...if you happen to just be giving any of these away please keep me in mind and I will be eternally grateful. I would be willing to pay in hugs and thank yous although I highly recommend you not accept the hugs for your sake.

JimmyDude911
772 posts
Joined May 2011

Jul 07, 2011 00:02 |  #118

you could always just create your own camera system, Mr. Rich

Canon EOS 5D Mark ii | Canon 50/1.4 |Rokinon 85/1.4 |
Leica M4-P | 40/1.4 Nokton |
Bronica ETRS | 50/2.8 | 75/2.8 |
flickr (external link)

NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 07, 2011 00:12 |  #119

nich0145 wrote in post #12716916 (external link)
What's with all the hate? Think some of you should give OP a break, if he has the money to afford expensive lenses that we don't, or at least I don't, it doesn't mean I have to hate him for not using it.

That is not why the majority of people are "hating on the OP". Its more because of the way he has advertised all of his gear to us... By asking if he should sell ALL that gear so he can by into a new camera system. It's clear that he is not asking professional photographer's opinions to better his photography, but to waist our time giving him advice he will clearly never use. I can only imagine him typing out that original post just laughing to himself as he does it, almost as a slight to everybody else.

...or, at least, that's how i have been taking it.

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

akfreak
Goldmember
1,087 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 07, 2011 05:54 |  #120

I say Piss on the Leica and buy a real MF camera, get somthing that is not a start up Gadget rich boy toy. Get a real MF camera that serious pro would use. Get an ALpa, Leaf, Hasselblad, Mamiya.

If you are going to buy into a New system get one that is established. Forget that S2, it is a billionaire boy toy, No serious, non sponsored Photog will make that his go to kit.

I say sell a few lenses and buy a Pentax 645D for 12 grand. It will let you make images like this 16mg .jpg (external link) Pentax makes some of the best glasss inthe world, 645 glass will out resolve any 35mm sensor ever built. I love the Pentax-A 645 35mm f3.5 lens of any lens in the world. It is almost like a unicorn to find. The P645d can still use all of the 645 glass ever built. so you dont have to spend 10's of thousands of dollars buying glass. The standard lenses are cheap! See for yourself. Also the P645D is a 40MP Digital camera that shoots DNG as the native format.

I have been shooting MF and large format for a very long time. DLSR are great but even the original Pentax 645 film camera will throw rocks at a 5d MKII in thr IQ department you can have that fore $250 with a lens. Yes you have to scan film but in the end it's all about the IQ.

Have you ever seen what a 4x5 film camera can do. Yes you have TS lenses. But when you can move the focal plane from vertical to horizontal, this is where the men are separated from the boys. Now in steps the 8x10 and 11x14, LF and ULF, that is the reference in Photography.

I see you have really become burned out of DLSR cameras. I see you have plenty of money. I think you need to keep a Canon Kit, Downsize some of that wonderful glass and use the money to get into Meduim format.

Things slow way down, You think more, you check and recheck, you become more immersed into the moment. The reward is much different. Best of all with a scanner you can still play in a digital world. Even then things are much slower, 60MP files really slow down the workflow. But the files are incredible.

Lastly you can get back into film if you like. Most of the MF camera take a film back, you can shoot B&W film and develop and print at home. Noting more satisfying than making a image from you mind to the wall with your hands ALONE!

If you want to talk, I can spend some time discussing with you some options, I can let you play with some of my gear. I have plenty to spare. PM me I will give you mu number, I am in Vegas maybe you will get bit by the Large fomat bug. You thing you have a lot of lenses, I know people that have so many lenses for LF cameras, that it takes many many cabinets (climate controlled) just to house the glass. Some of the glass is from the 1800's and worth 6-10 grand a lens.

I love all photography from my waste level Yashica mat 124g to my Pentax 110, to Century Master Studio 8x10. I love to use my 4x5 very much. and My 7D is very dear to me. They are all just tools, I love when I think of a job where I get to pick the best one for the Job.

Ever seen a Glass plate positive my firnd shoots mostly glass plate, and it is incredible. Dan Carrillo is his name, He is fairly new to glass plate but does some wonderful images, his work is Art and takes skill and knowledge,watch this video and see (external link). Sally Man is wonderful John Coffer is one person that took photography to a whole new level, you have to see it to believe it (external link) That is just glass plate. There is all sorts of alternative processes, Platinum printing, carbon printing it is all so wonderful and doesn't involve a Canon Camera or an L lens.

Open your mind and explore everything. GAS wont make you happy, it will just get you a bunch of gear! I hope you PM me so we can talk. I am not a hater, I love all of it. Dont listen to anyone, try it all and find what you like, you heart does not lie. AKf

http://www.speedtest.n​et/result/1460485335.p​ng (external link)

sponsored links

20,307 views & 0 likes for this thread
call me crazy but... (switching from canon to leica)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.