Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 04 Jul 2011 (Monday) 00:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How wide do I need for wedding group?

ootsk
Goldmember
1,154 posts
Joined Jan 2002

Jul 04, 2011 15:03 |  #16

I can usually shoot most family shots with my 50 1.4, on a full frame body. I love the lens and it's super sharp at f8. That said, indoors I usually end up with my 20-35L (old) 2.8. for the wider shots. It's tough to NOT have a lens and need it.

sponsored links
Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 04, 2011 15:14 |  #17

calvinjhfeng wrote in post #12703377 (external link)
There are actual things I haven't listed in my signature.

Well if I was completely prepared with second bodies, full gear of L lenses, i would have gone professional and I wouldn't be charging them at that low of a price. However photography isn't my field, I am a student of something else in school. It wasn't my intention to do a wedding. I have questioned my client on whether they should find someone else, but they insisted. It was their choice to select a low-budget photographer for the wedding. I have no reason to reject the job if I get paid and the client is confident enough in me. So now all I can do is trying my best and see what I can pull off.

But thank you, 24-70 is what I have been thinking of. Well I don't have enough money in pocket to pay the deposit. Lens rental place doesn't seem to offer the Siggy/Tammy version of the 24-70. I am trying to find a low budget wide angle that is good enough to get the job done.

Good excuse. If thats the case, just use a point and shoot. I mean, otherwise you may be mistaken for a professional.

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

cfvisuals
THREAD ­ STARTER
866 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 04, 2011 18:22 |  #18

Red Tie Photography wrote in post #12703634 (external link)
Good excuse. If thats the case, just use a point and shoot. I mean, otherwise you may be mistaken for a professional.

It probably cost me more to go and get a P&S at the moment. I think a G11 is around $500 right? And that's the only P&S shoots raw as far as i know.

Well I thank you for your input, but I think it is better to constructively help me with my situation instead of attacking my unprofessionalism. As I have clearly putted, I am nowhere near your professionalism at photography, hence i am seeking help here.

Consumers have all different levels of demand. Decisions are up to them. If my products/services meet their demand, they pay me to get the job done for them. I don't think I deserve any criticism for not being "prepared" for the jobs I received. Plus I am preparing, I am doing my homework, through internet, through asking, through researching.

flickr (external link)
5∞ portfolio (external link)

cfvisuals
THREAD ­ STARTER
866 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 04, 2011 19:09 |  #19

kjonnnn wrote in post #12704436 (external link)
How big IS this group? A group with a long lens? Hmmm. Im sure it's done, but you lose all connection with your group by having to be half a football field away.

I don't think people are attacking you, but its seems if you're trying to make things fit you, instead of you fitting them.

Actually I have no clear idea. I think from what they said, it's a family shoot with no kids. I would guess 5~6. I am trying to grab a 24-70L, if that doesn't work, maybe 35 or 50mm. I am just preparing ahead; start a thread and see what are some inputs. Well I am trying to get things done under my limitations. I think we are supposed to solve problems by making things fit both party. It can't be just me fitting the job. The job needs to fit me. I am meeting with my client soon. If I can't get them what they want, I won't get the job and I wouldn't take the job.

It's a zero sum game. How much they pay, how much they get.
However, like I said, I am still the best bang for the buck. Professionals are charging 10 times my price, while their product quality isn't necessarily 10 times better than mine in consumers' eyes.
It is up to consumers to determine whether I am prepared or not.
But to all professionals, I am for sure unprepared for what I'm doing. And I do appreciate all these feedbacks though.

And my fault, for poor word choice there, they aren't "attacking" me. More like professionals get a little bitter or unpleasing seeing amateurs taking their jobs. But I am not stealing their market. It's just I am selling my product in the low end of the market. While some wedding couples have the budget to afford the high-end professional photographers, some couples can't and I am their solution.

I am putting lots of effort to prepare and aiming to give the best shot for my clients. I don't want to ruin the special moment of their life. I am doing all these researches just to help myself prepare more. I hope you all could understand the situation.

I appreciate your time for reading the thread and putting feedback.

flickr (external link)
5∞ portfolio (external link)

Mayniyak
256 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 04, 2011 19:10 |  #20

I've only just started with weddings/engagements so my advice may not be worth as much as others', but I will tell you this: if I had to pick only one lens to shoot a wedding with, it would be the 24-70. It might not be as sharp or fast as primes, and there will always be shots that require/benefit from something a little longer and/or wider, but most shots at weddings seem to fall within that range and the added convenience of not having to switch lenses (much) means that you end up with fewer missed photo opportunities.

If you can't grab a 24-70 then maybe try for a 24-105 (and I assume you have a proper flash of course). Either way I don't think you should walk into a wedding with only xx-85-135 primes, especially not your first one.

siddr20
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 04, 2011 21:43 |  #21

Get the 24-70L f2.8 if you have full frame.

If you have crop get the canon 17-55 f2.8

easy :)

www.sidd-rishi.com.au (external link)http://www.sidd-rishi.com.au (external link)

PMCphotography
Goldmember
1,775 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 04, 2011 23:41 |  #22

I prefer to use a telephoto lens instead of a wide angle when possible.

But there times when you just have to have a wide angle.

Twitter (external link)
Hobart Wedding Photography (external link)
I have some camera stuff. Here it is.

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 04, 2011 23:53 |  #23

Personally I'd go with the 35L. Great in low light and quite a usable focal length. I use my 24-70 a lot less since I got mine.

Peter

cristphoto
870 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 05, 2011 08:47 |  #24

A 35mm lens would help you dramatically. For instance group shots at the altar. With your 85mm lens, sure, you can move back to get the group in frame but you would also get the first couple rows of pews also. Another consideration is if your widest lens is 85mm your shooting position will often be several steps from the couple. Assuming there are the ever present amatuer shooters there they will often be standing in the way due to their p&s cameras wider lenses. My typical wedding setup is a 35 (on FF) and 85mm lens (on 1.3 crop). In situations where I have enough room to freely move about, this works fine for about 80% of my shots. In crowded spaces or smaller rooms, I revert to zooms for the quick versatility.

5D MKIV, 5D MKIII, 1D MKIV, 24L II, 35L, 50L, 85LIS, 100LIS Macro, 135L, 300LIS, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200LIS, 100-400LIS

Al ­ Rohrer
85 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 07, 2011 16:03 |  #25

Canon EF 28 f/1.8 or EF 35 f/2. Neither will break the bank and they are both excellent lens and will work well with what you already have.

Canon Shooter and PSCS5 on a PC.

sponsored links

3,318 views & 0 likes for this thread
How wide do I need for wedding group?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.