Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 30 Jun 2011 (Thursday) 02:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

call me crazy but... (switching from canon to leica)

pingflood
247 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 07, 2011 06:16 as a reply to  @ post 12717814 |  #121

When you start listing memory cards and remote switches, I think you have taken it a step too far. (OP's list.)

Nice lens collection though, although as has been pointed out it is missing the entire supertele lineup which is the only thing that counts anyway. :p

1DsII, 7D, EF 85/1.8, EF 50/1.4, EF 24-105L, EF 100-400L, EF 400/5.6L, EF 500/4L, Samyang 14/2.8, Zeiss ZE 50/1.4 Planar

sponsored links
nich0145
90 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 07, 2011 08:58 |  #122

ewheeler20 wrote in post #12717135 (external link)
That is not why the majority of people are "hating on the OP". Its more because of the way he has advertised all of his gear to us... By asking if he should sell ALL that gear so he can by into a new camera system. It's clear that he is not asking professional photographer's opinions to better his photography, but to waist our time giving him advice he will clearly never use. I can only imagine him typing out that original post just laughing to himself as he does it, almost as a slight to everybody else.

...or, at least, that's how i have been taking it.

Hmm... I do see your point. I've not, or rather didn't try to see it from that perspective, guess I came to the thread late and seeing all the hate posts and thought to stand up for OP a little but nevertheless, his intention is least of my concern and I'm still glad I gave what in my opinion, a constructive comment.

Nicholas

miniphotog
216 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 07, 2011 09:29 |  #123

blk-dslr wrote in post #12681324 (external link)
...im planning to sell all my canon gears and move onto either leica s2 or m9, I got tons of canon L lens and dslr, and really planing to list all my L lenses on ebay, to get my hands on one of these badboy, any suggestion weather I should pull the trigger or not, any leica owner out there, that's more satisfy over leica then canon?

I have two suggestions for you.

1. If you want a thought out answer, please describe how / what / why, you like to shoot.

2. Why don't you rent / buy the Leica before selling off your Canon equipment. That way if you decide it wasn't the correct choice you've only made one mistake.

mfunnell
375 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jul 07, 2011 09:57 |  #124

OK. I'll call you crazy. Or, perhaps, just not that interested in photographs. Me, I have cameras to take photos. As it happens, I have Canon EOS digital SLRs (plus a film one) and lenses to take some kinds of photos, and Leica M (film) cameras and lenses to take other kinds of photos.

It's not one or the other, it's both. But I really don't care so much about the cameras (I perhaps care more about the lenses) instead what I really care about is the photos. I use both camera systems because I find one better for some photos, and the other better for different photos. (That's in my personal use, and I don't necessarily think others would work the same way I do.)

What strikes me is your declaration that you're changing photo gear - rather than declaring you're changing the type of photo you're taking. If you declared the latter, the former might follow organically.

Instead, to my mind, you are declaring that the tail is now wagging your dog.

It takes all kinds, and "gear" can be a good hobby too, but I vote for the photo over the gear every time.

...Mike

Some digital cameras, some film cameras, some lenses & other kit.
Day-to-day photos on flickr (external link), some older stuff at dA (external link).

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,825 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 07, 2011 10:56 |  #125

OK, sell all of your Canon Stuff and come take my H4D-60, but you have to add about $16,499.95 over that to get it, at least you will pay less than just buy that Leica S2 + 1 lens.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,825 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 07, 2011 10:58 |  #126

Sorry, i changed my mind, i will not sell my H4D-60, go with Leica S2 better for you!!! :p :lol:

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

ckckevin
Goldmember
1,439 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 07, 2011 12:07 |  #127

@OP, I'd say go for it if you have the money. But if you are in a tight budget, then don't.

But in a budget perspective, I'd recommand you selling stuff that you don't use. =)

Have a great wonderful one!

Kevin life= learning
500D, Canon 10-22mm, Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 60 macro, Canon 85mm 1.8, Sigma 8mm 3.5, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Sigma 50-150mm 2.8, Kenko SP300 1.4x, efs extension tubes, 580EX, and lens that i don't like

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 07, 2011 13:19 |  #128

this is really the worst thread ever

why not get a fuji x100?

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

banpreso
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 07, 2011 13:34 |  #129

mikekelley wrote in post #12719927 (external link)
this is really the worst thread ever

why not get a fuji x100?

IMAGE NOT FOUND
| Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

psshhh, that's a peasant's toy;)

Flickr (external link)

dissident
60 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 07, 2011 14:31 |  #130

crazy... at any price point it's the skill of the person taking the picture that matters. Reminds me of people who buy new cars every 2 years just because the old ones are 'boring'

Canon T2i | Battery Extender | Canon EF-S 15-85mm | Tamron AF 70-300mm VC USD | Nifty Fifty Mark 1

TuanTime
759 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 07, 2011 15:47 |  #131

dissident wrote in post #12720332 (external link)
crazy... at any price point it's the skill of the person taking the picture that matters. Reminds me of people who buy new cars every 2 years just because the old ones are 'boring'

Yeah I hate it when people buy new cars every 2 years!!! I usually buy a new one every 6 months...:cool:

Ranie ­ Dib
408 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 07, 2011 16:03 |  #132

I think the OP is OVERcompensating for something. :))))))

www.raniedib.com (external link)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 07, 2011 16:15 |  #133

george m w wrote in post #12713996 (external link)
Heck, I could not even understand what all that stuff meant.

Out of curiosity, I looked up the OP. He has started something like just over thirty threads. Almost all of them have been simple questions about buying lenses and cameras. He has only posted 3 or 4 photos....one rather out of focus shot a bird, and the other two or three were photos of some lenses stacked up on a black chair. That's it.
This guy does not seem to really be about "taking photos". He apparently just likes to impress others with "look at all the stuff I buy". Bling. Bling, bling.....:rolleyes:;)

I agree with this. A collector and not a user. :lol:;)

george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 07, 2011 16:42 |  #134

and before this sparks yet another round of "that's fine, there's nothing wrong with the guy buying whatever he wants...."
....I agree....however, I think that it would be more honest of him to say something along the line of, "I like to buy and collect gear, so I'm thinking of selling off my Canon equipment, and replacing it with a collection of Leica".

Nothing wrong with collecting. I knew a man years ago ( now deceased ) that collected model train stuff. Real high end collection, and over the years, most of the train cars he collected were never even taken out of the box. That would be like us buying a 200 f/2, and never letting it out of the original box that it came from Japan in. Hey....you know....whatever, this guys train collection was appraised at over $200K after he died when all this was going to the estate sale. But he liked having it when he was alive, and it was important to him to keep it the way he did. I'm sure there were model train enthusiasts that shook their heads and said, "those model trains should have been unboxed and powered around a model trainyard".
To each his own.

regards, george w

"It's also obvious that people determined to solve user error with more expensive equipment will graduate to expensive user error."
Dave N.

AeroSmith
Goldmember
4,481 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 07, 2011 18:30 as a reply to  @ george m w's post |  #135

I definitely understand the satisfaction of owning a tool which is also a work of art. And collecting can be fun.

But man, it really pales in comparison to getting just one shot that makes someone, anyone go wow. You can't buy that shot with any amount of money. Only time, effort and a little luck will get it. That one shot will earn the shooter respect. Isn't that, ultimately, what we're all after? But I state the obvious...

Josh Smith

sponsored links

20,308 views & 0 likes for this thread
call me crazy but... (switching from canon to leica)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.