Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 08 Jul 2011 (Friday) 12:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

24-105L for $775

r34p3rex
192 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 08, 2011 12:14 |  #1

Someone on Craigslist is selling a 24-105L for $775. Apparently he hasnt used it once since he got it a year ago. His story is that on his way to a photoshoot last year, the shutter on one of his cameras died and he was forced to pick up a new camera . However, the store only had the 5D2 kit in stock so he grabbed it.

He looks like a pretty reputable guy based on his website/portfolio so im not too worried about him being a scam artist.

With that said, do you think this is a good deal?

EDIT: AS PROMISED, PICTURE OF THE SPOILS:

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/CwYcxl.jpg

Took it hiking today so it got a little dusty :p When I got it, it was in pristine condition

Gripped 5DII | 24-105 f/4L | 70-200 f/2.8L | Sigma 180mm f/3.5 Macro | 430EX II
AB800 | YN-602RF | Vagabond Mini
My Feedback (on other sites): Overclock.net (external link) | Pbnation (external link)

sponsored links
chrispychicken
173 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 08, 2011 12:17 |  #2

How do you know that the website provided is actually his?

Site (external link)
Blog (external link)

Bheims
387 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 08, 2011 12:19 |  #3

Yes its a good deal, go check it out and bring your camera

Gear: 5DMkII, 60D, 20D, 24-105L, 17-85, Rokinon 8mm, 50 1.8, Some lights n stuff
Flickr (external link)

Mistabernie
'Camera Unicorn McSparkles'..
2,744 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 08, 2011 12:21 |  #4

I'd keep my guard up if I were you. 13 shootings on the 4th of July alone in Boston including a rise in robberies CL-related (in TX at least). Hell, we had a shooting around the corner from where I live south of Boston today before I went to work.

That being said, it's a pretty decent price. If you can meet him someplace safe, public (and away from a main road to try to reduce the ability of a speedy getaway for a potential assailant) then it might be worth it..

Donate if you love POTN! | Smugmug (external link) | Gear List & POTN Marketplace Feedback
Feel free to call me Bernie.
LIVING PROOF WHY YOU DON'T MENTION THE TITLE FAIRY...

r34p3rex
THREAD ­ STARTER
192 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 08, 2011 12:21 |  #5

chrispychicken wrote in post #12725389 (external link)
How do you know that the website provided is actually his?

Well for one thing I talked to him on the phone with the same number listed on his website :P

My Feedback (on other sites): Overclock.net (external link) | Pbnation (external link)

scuzy
116 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 08, 2011 12:51 |  #6

just meet at a public place like inside starbucks and do the transaction there

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,738 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 08, 2011 13:20 |  #7

scuzy wrote in post #12725555 (external link)
just meet at a public place like inside starbucks and do the transaction there

Best thing to do. Any public place will work. I will not meet someone at a private residence (mine or what they say is theirs) to do a transaction.

Also if you don't feel comfortable take a friend or three (just don't freak the other person out and make them think they are about to get robbed)

For that price I'd jump on it!

r34p3rex
THREAD ­ STARTER
192 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 08, 2011 13:23 |  #8

gremlin75 wrote in post #12725724 (external link)
Best thing to do. Any public place will work. I will not meet someone at a private residence (mine or what they say is theirs) to do a transaction.

Also if you don't feel comfortable take a friend or three (just don't freak the other person out and make them think they are about to get robbed)

For that price I'd jump on it!

Hah yea I've done over 50 transactions through Craigslist so I'm aware of all the tricks in the book. Just wanted to reinsure myself that this is a good deal :D

blueM
"I am the Prince of Dorkness"
1,662 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 08, 2011 13:27 |  #9

Does he have an office or place of business? I inferred from your comment: "on his way to a photo shoot" that he is (might be) a professional.

Kevin

Gear List

collierportraits
Goldmember
1,896 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 08, 2011 13:33 |  #10

Yes, I bought my 45 TS-E off of Craigslist after the guy listed it for about 9 mos. I'm not sure why he didn't realize his CL market would be VERY small for this lens, as he could have sold it on here in about a day, but anyway, he kept dropping the price when it didn't sell. Finally his price came down far enough I couldn't resist buying it. ;)

I'm not sure I understand not meeting near a major road? If you meet in an establishment, say a Barnes and Noble or Starbucks or someplace like that, you're fairly safe. Just use your head, and hey. Enjoy your new lens! :D

5D3 | 16-35L | 45 TS-E | 50L | 85L | 100L | 135L | 24-70L | 70-200 II L | 580s | Zero, TT & Crumplers | and an X100! :D

wombatHorror
Goldmember
1,937 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 08, 2011 13:50 |  #11

r34p3rex wrote in post #12725377 (external link)
Someone on Craigslist is selling a 24-105L for $775. Apparently he hasnt used it once since he got it a year ago. His story is that on his way to a photoshoot last year, the shutter on one of his cameras died and he was forced to pick up a new camera . However, the store only had the 5D2 kit in stock so he grabbed it.

He looks like a pretty reputable guy based on his website/portfolio so im not too worried about him being a scam artist.

With that said, do you think this is a good deal?

1. It's a good price for it this day and age with all the prices having risen a lot.
2. With CL and big ticket items I'd meet only in a very public, crowded, secure, safe area and not give out home address at all, don't meet at some weird side of the road, next to some building of his choosing sort of thing, etc.
3. If you want IS and tend to shoot longer rather than wider it may work out well, but if you simply expect some magical L experience to blow your Tamron 17-50 away I think you will be terribly disappointed (to be honest I think the Tamron is actually a little bit better optically, I also find 17-50 much nicer on APS-C than 24-105, however that part is certainly an individual thing and the tamron does lack IS of course)

OneJZsupra
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 08, 2011 14:09 |  #12

If he's an actually photographer with a buisness don't you think he knows what he's selling and how much it normally goes for? I mean it's a good price but does it come with everything? Box, soft case, hood, warrenty card and such?

Gear List | Feed Back | My Site (external link)
YN RF-603 O-ring solution

r34p3rex
THREAD ­ STARTER
192 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 08, 2011 14:16 |  #13

wombatHorror wrote in post #12725876 (external link)
1. It's a good price for it this day and age with all the prices having risen a lot.
2. With CL and big ticket items I'd meet only in a very public, crowded, secure, safe area and not give out home address at all, don't meet at some weird side of the road, next to some building of his choosing sort of thing, etc.
3. If you want IS and tend to shoot longer rather than wider it may work out well, but if you simply expect some magical L experience to blow your Tamron 17-50 away I think you will be terribly disappointed (to be honest I think the Tamron is actually a little bit better optically, I also find 17-50 much nicer on APS-C than 24-105, however that part is certainly an individual thing and the tamron does lack IS of course)

I'm going fullframe so the tamron has to go :(

Lone ­ Rider
Goldmember
1,349 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 08, 2011 14:17 |  #14

If its too good to be true I'd avoid it. Theres already been one member caught out with stolen property.

Trevor

yzkr
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 08, 2011 14:49 |  #15

that's a super good deal if he really hasnt use it any bit

500D - Canon 70-200mm F2.8 L, 17-40mm F4.0 L, 24-70mm F2.8 L
YN-560 Speedlite

sponsored links

5,176 views & 0 likes for this thread
24-105L for $775
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.