Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 08 Jul 2011 (Friday) 07:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Buying a Zeiss lens

palwin
THREAD ­ STARTER
137 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 09, 2011 08:36 |  #16

dmstraton wrote in post #12729180 (external link)
Unlike others, a little practice (even with a standard screen) and manual focusing is not that difficult, I probably spend as much time focusing as I do just twisting a zoom ring. I probably get more keepers only because I can't "spray and pray" with AF in play...take a bit more time, wait, snap.

I'm fine with focusing manually but have to admit it's a lot easier on my Zeiss Ikon than the Canon 5D because of the viewfinder. I have never been much for zoom lenses, got rid of all of them and sticks to primes only now. I couldn't be happier :)

dmstraton wrote in post #12729191 (external link)
Oh, the 50 1.4 and 85 1.4 are the "entry level" lenses - the 35 if I remember is a few hundred more IIRC.

I'm not that interested in a 85mm focal, usually don't need longer than 50mm and I got the 135L just in case. I decided to skip the Zeiss 50/1.4 because I have heard many mixed reviews on this lens with focus shift and such. From the current Zeiss lineup it seems that the 35/2 is the best one to start with if you don't want wider than 35mm or macro.

Tobias
Flickr (external link) | Gear

Silverfox1
Goldmember
3,189 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 09, 2011 10:17 |  #17

palwin wrote in post #12728967 (external link)
I have more or less decided on the Zeiss 35/2 now and get a macro lens sometime later. The CZ 35/2.8 sounds very interesting and I have heard great things about Contax lenses. I need to check these out. Do you or anyone else have comparison pics from these two lenses?

As argyle stated their are a variety of vintage lenses in the 35mm FL range that can satisfy most folks and save yourself a considerable amount of money. Research & patience are your best friends since it sounds like your objectives are shooting time composed captures.

For the price of the Zeiss 35/f2 you could pick-up 2 or possibly 3 stellar prime vintage lenses in various focal lengths, but the final decision is yours.

Several months back i was testing 4 different 35mm MF lenses wide open for blur, bokeh & center sharpness which included the possibly dud copy of the rented Zeiss 35/f2.

Below is an example test shot i took with a cheap Russian 24MIR 35/f2 EOS adapted lens that cost less then $200 bucks and does a fine job indoors using natural ambient lighting.

MIR24-35mm f2.0

Test Shot indoors using ambient window light only and a 43" Reflector.

F2.0, ISO1250, SS 1/60, No Flash

Exif intact:

IMAGE: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v679/Silverfox111/MIR24-35B.jpg

Regards whatever your decision, ;)

Silverfox1 POTN Feedback / TC Extender Tests / Gear List

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,996 views & 0 likes for this thread
Buying a Zeiss lens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.