Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 08 Jul 2011 (Friday) 16:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

77mm ND filter + step up ring on 70-200 f/4 (67mm threads)

munzzzzzzz
591 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 08, 2011 16:39 |  #1

I'm looking at purchasing a 3X ND filter for my 24-105, which has 77mm filter threads. I'd also like to be able to use it on my 70-200 if possible. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience using a 77mm filter with a step up ring on a 70-200 with the lens hood.

Is the step up ring sufficient, or should I save the $20 and put it towards a second 67mm ND filter?

The 77mm is $94 and the 67mm is $116, so I'd much rather spend $20 than $109 but only if it's a decent option.

Edit: it looks like these prices are for the single coated filters. Are the MRC filters ($176 for a 3X?) worth it on ND filters?

6D | 40mm f/2.8 | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200mm f/4L IS | 580EXII | 2x PCB Einstein | Various Modifiers

sponsored links
ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 08, 2011 17:02 |  #2

iirc you can't use the hood on the 70-200L if you're using the 77mm step up ring. I've thought about it too as my 35L and 135L are 72mm and my Sigma 85 is 77mm and I wouldn't be able to use the hood on my 35L/135L if I used a step up ring and just bought 77mm filters for my Sigma.

-Chris-Website (external link)|| (external link)Facebook (external link)|| My Flickr (external link)|| Follow me!!! 500px (external link) || (external link) 5D mkii || 35L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII || My bank account hates you all :cry:

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,730 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 08, 2011 17:07 |  #3

I use a 72mm CP filter on my 70-200f4 with a step up ring. You will not be able to get the hood on after you put the filter with step up ring on. If you plan on screwing the filter and step up ring on after you put the hood on don't. It's a giant pain in the arse almost to the point of being impossible (I just tried with my CP)

If you absolutely need to use your hood you'll want to buy a 67mm for it. Honestly though a hood usually isn't needed if you're using a filter. Though I use square ND filters So using the hood isn't even a possibility for me :)

munzzzzzzz
THREAD ­ STARTER
591 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 09, 2011 08:10 |  #4

gremlin75 wrote in post #12726895 (external link)
Honestly though a hood usually isn't needed if you're using a filter.

I'm curious as to why you say this. Are you suggesting this because the filter would protect the lens (one potential reason for using a hood) or are you saying that the filter would prevent lens flare (the main reason I use a hood)?

6D | 40mm f/2.8 | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200mm f/4L IS | 580EXII | 2x PCB Einstein | Various Modifiers

phreeky
Goldmember
3,514 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 09, 2011 08:28 |  #5

munzzzzzzz wrote in post #12729175 (external link)
I'm curious as to why you say this. Are you suggesting this because the filter would protect the lens (one potential reason for using a hood) or are you saying that the filter would prevent lens flare (the main reason I use a hood)?

What are the odds of you using an ND filter on the 70-200 for anything other than landscapes while using a tripod? Because in those tripod/landscape scenarios you should be able to rig up something to shade the front of the lens.

District_History_Fan
Goldmember
2,286 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 09, 2011 08:39 as a reply to  @ phreeky's post |  #6

I use the step up ring on my 70-200f/4L IS. It allows the use on my 77mm NDs, CPL, and 500D Close Up filter. The hood won't fit.

www.ericmcferrin.smugm​ug.com (external link)

munzzzzzzz
THREAD ­ STARTER
591 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 09, 2011 09:21 |  #7

phreeky wrote in post #12729218 (external link)
What are the odds of you using an ND filter on the 70-200 for anything other than landscapes while using a tripod? Because in those tripod/landscape scenarios you should be able to rig up something to shade the front of the lens.

Actually I don't really shoot landscape at all. I shoot almost exclusively portraits. The purpose of the ND filter would be to cut overall light so I can shoot at wider aperatures (i.e. f/4) while limited to the max sync speed of my 40D (1/250th) when using studio strobes outside. Using the sunny 16 rule, a 3 stop ND filter should allow me to shoot at f/4, 1/250th, ISO 100 and properly expose for ambient. I've come to the conclusion that I might want to underexpose ambient up to a stop, so I'm considering adding in a CPL filter which should give me another stop or so in addition to the inherent benefits of a CPL filter. The only problem is, it looks like I could easily spend $300 to get a 77mm B+W MRC 3 stop ND filter and a 77mm B+W MRC C-POL filter. Ouch!

My 24-105 is my primary portrait lens, though I do occasionally pull out the 70-200 when I am looking for extreme BG blur (and thus shoot out closer to 200mm) but I'll admit that has less usefulness as I'm limited to head shots or have to be quite a ways from my subject. That's one of the reasons I don't really want to invest in separate ND (and possibly CPL) filters for the 70-200 right now, though when/if I upgrade to a 5D that would change things quite a bit as with FF the 70-200 would now be a better portrait lens for me. The other thought is that occasionally I might want to carry my XTi and keep the 70-200 on that and the 24-105 on the 40D, so then I'm back to the same problem again.

Posts here and in other threads I've read seem to pretty much confirm that the factory hood isn't an option when using a step-up ring on the 70-200. Some have suggested buying an aftermarket filter that screws onto the filter threads, and this might be a decent compromise for now for the times when I want to use them on my 70-200. When/if I upgrade to a 5D, if I can afford to stick $2000+ into a new body, I can probably afford a couple hundred bucks more to get dedicated 67mm filter as well.

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,730 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 09, 2011 12:30 |  #8

munzzzzzzz wrote in post #12729175 (external link)

My answer to that is the same as Phreeky's as I just use my ND for landscapes.

Never really shot portraits so never thought of using an ND for them but from what you're saying I can understand the usefulness of them for that purpose.

Plus I find that the majority of the time I don't get flaring even with the hood off. Its just while shooting at certain angels to the sun that I have to worry about flare. But again I shoot landscapes and I use square ND's.

For you I'd say there is no way around it, you're going to need a 67mm ND filter too if you ever want to use the hood

MRagon
953 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 09, 2011 12:59 |  #9

I use a 67mm - 77mm step up ring all the time. My BW 3-stop ND filter cost too much to not do that and I don't want a whole packet of filters to carry around, either. I use the ND and CPL on my 17-55 (77mm) and my 70-200 (67mm) lens. I use the 70-200 for outdoor portraits and often stack the cpl just to cut another stop of light. That lets me slow down the shutter and even use a little off camera flash for some angled light simulating evening/morning light. I don't miss the hood, not a big deal for me.

Here's the ring I got....

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …67mm_to_77mm_St​ep_Up.html (external link)

Canon 7D | Canon G12 | 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 |17-55mm f2.8 IS | 24-105mm f4L IS USM | 70-200 f4L IS | Ʃ 30 f1.4 | 50mm f1.4 | 85mm f1.8 | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | 430EX II | LumoPro LP 160

robtk
211 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 09, 2011 13:27 |  #10

i have a 77mm ND and CPL that i use with step-up rings on all my lenses (70-200, 35L, 50) and i use a 82mm step down on the zeiss that also works perfectly.

5Dmkii ~ Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 ~ Canon 35L

sponsored links

3,565 views & 0 likes for this thread
77mm ND filter + step up ring on 70-200 f/4 (67mm threads)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.