Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Jul 2011 (Saturday) 23:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5D MARK II Refurbished: GOOD or BAD?

marvpf
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 11, 2011 08:53 as a reply to  @ post 12738439 |  #106

One things for sure, I know I'll always think twice before ever hitting the "Purchase" button on that site again, and I'll cringe when/if I do with that kind of service policy in place.

sponsored links
uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 11, 2011 09:06 |  #107

Do they charge a restocking fee?

What are the conditions for returning a refurb? As in simply return it without buying anything else.

My imagine composition sucks. I need a heavier lens.

Nickc84
Goldmember
2,064 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 11, 2011 09:15 |  #108

Yeah, up to 14 days. but from what the lady told me..if you return it ..the new sale price is a first come ..first serve. I doubt it will stay that price.

marvpf
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 11, 2011 09:37 |  #109

The copy I received appears to be brand new. It doesn't appear to have ever been touched outside the factory. Not a single mark, scratch or smudge anywhere. The way my luck is going with this purchase, I'll return it and receive one that's really been handled and used previously. That's a distinct possibility that I've considered too.

Nickc84
Goldmember
2,064 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 11, 2011 09:45 |  #110

lol...true

Nickc84
Goldmember
2,064 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 11, 2011 09:45 |  #111

they may have saved the banged up ones for the price drop! haha

nikesupremedunk
Goldmember
1,131 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 11, 2011 09:46 |  #112

i too, was not too happy upon finding out that it was discounted an extra 15% the last couple of days. i ordered mine on 6/20 so it's not as bad as some of you here but still sour regardless. i wonder how many people did get it for that special low price though.

i had a problem with my 21 actuation brand-new looking refurb though. there's a huge white dead pixel when i record movies and play it back on my computer. just called and spoke to a rep so i'll be sending in my 2 week old camera in for repair.

in the end, i'm glad to have paid less than what used ones w/ 10k clicks are going for now which is ridiculous and having warranty on it incase stuff like this happens. so even if we didn't get the amazing deal, still we got a better deal than buying one used "as-is" for more.

| Andrew | 5D Mark II | EOS-M | Canon 17-40mm f 4 L | Canon 35mm f 1.4 L | Canon 100mm f 2.8 L Macro | Canon 70-200mm f 4 L IS | Canon EF-M 22mm f 2.0 | Speedlite 430EX II|

bemerick
673 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 11, 2011 09:53 |  #113

marvpf wrote in post #12738292 (external link)
I purchased mine last Tuesday (7/5) for $1999 and it arrived on Saturday, which I believe is the day the sale started.

I called Canon this morning as soon as they open and was told there was nothing they could do for me. They said the only thing I could do would be to return the camera within the 14-day time period after I received it and they would return my $ once they receive it. In the meantime, I could purchase another one at the current price of $1699.15 IF one becomes available (they're out of stock at this moment) and that price is still applicable but of course I would have to shell out about another $1750 (incl tax and shipping) to do so. I also asked if they could credit me the difference ($300) towards another purchase and they said no.

Way to go, Canon! vmad

that's exactly what I thought they'd say. And they can easily, since there are none in stock anyway.

Canon S110 / Canon EOS 5D Mark II | 17-40 L f4 USM | 50 f1.4 USM | 70-200 L f2.8 IS II USM | 430EX II

r34p3rex
192 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 11, 2011 10:45 |  #114

I too am disappointed in this 15% sale.. I was willing to buy a refurb 5D2 at full price but this silly sale made them go out of stock :(

Gripped 5DII | 24-105 f/4L | 70-200 f/2.8L | Sigma 180mm f/3.5 Macro | 430EX II
AB800 | YN-602RF | Vagabond Mini
My Feedback (on other sites): Overclock.net (external link) | Pbnation (external link)

chrisexv6
33 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 11, 2011 12:07 |  #115

uOpt wrote in post #12738366 (external link)
Well that is also the reason why I won't go the return and order new route to get the $300. For all my luck I end up without any. Maybe that would be best.

Did the 15% combine with the loyalty program (not for the 5d, but for the others)?

If it makes anyone feel better, I was told the 15% price would NOT be applicable in the CLP. So youd get 20% off the original (non-sale) refurb price thru CLP, or 15% off if you ordered right from the refurb site.

I just got my 7d a little over 2 weeks ago for 1087+tax....if they combined the 2 discounts it would have saved me another 150, but no big deal if they didnt.....I got a low shutter count, just about brand new "refurb" that seems to be working perfectly. Still going through some tests to verify that but so far so good.

dohan_appa
211 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 11, 2011 12:46 |  #116

chrisexv6 wrote in post #12739661 (external link)
If it makes anyone feel better, I was told the 15% price would NOT be applicable in the CLP. So youd get 20% off the original (non-sale) refurb price thru CLP, or 15% off if you ordered right from the refurb site.

I just got my 7d a little over 2 weeks ago for 1087+tax....if they combined the 2 discounts it would have saved me another 150, but no big deal if they didnt.....I got a low shutter count, just about brand new "refurb" that seems to be working perfectly. Still going through some tests to verify that but so far so good.

Chris, you just made my day. I was in a dark mood since I purchased my T2i on 6/30 and the lady would not price match to the sales price. The site was down, so she didn't know I bought through CLP I guess. I'd rather get 20% off CLP then 15% off of refurb price. Thanks Chris!

Steve

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 11, 2011 13:43 |  #117

Yeah. As insane as it sounds, the camera we got was good enough that I am very tempted to get a loyalty 7D now. Way to go, get pissed off, throw more money at them.

I am sure Nikon treats us much better, no? :D

My imagine composition sucks. I need a heavier lens.

Nordwil57
583 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 11, 2011 14:27 |  #118

You made my day as well! I JUST ordered on Saturday for the same $1087 and I just logged in out of curiousity and saw the sale price (sold out of course) I guess a good price is a good price, doesnt matter that a better one comes along, but it would be frustrating to pay $200 extra for ordering one workday too soon! Hopefully I get a good copy! (shipping today for Wed delivery)

Rick

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

Borman
87 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 14, 2011 08:32 |  #119

Got my 5d2. 167 shutter count :) Still testing it, but if you told me it was new, Id believe you.

Canon 5d Mark ii, 50mm 1.8, 70-200mm f4.0L, 24-70mm f2.8L,430EX ii

Jay.
THREAD ­ STARTER
268 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 14, 2011 14:52 |  #120

Borman wrote in post #12756537 (external link)
Got my 5d2. 167 shutter count :) Still testing it, but if you told me it was new, Id believe you.

Congrats! I'm really happy with Canon at the moment also :). Definitely going to buy another refurbished!

sponsored links

21,501 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 5D MARK II Refurbished: GOOD or BAD?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.