Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 10 Jul 2011 (Sunday) 20:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

white balance problem?

elio79
116 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 10, 2011 20:37 |  #1

Is there a white balance issue with this image? It was shot on auto white balance. This is SOOC.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

p.s. I know there are other issues with the image :)

sponsored links
JayyBee519
131 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 10, 2011 20:44 |  #2

I think the WB looks pretty good. IMO

| I race motocross for Suzuki of North America and Rockstar Energy Drink |

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,626 posts
Gallery: 205 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 10, 2011 23:19 as a reply to  @ JayyBee519's post |  #3

On my monitor, there seems to be a slight green cast to her skin, probably a reflection off the grass surrounding her. If you have photoshop, you can open the image using ACR and adjust the white balance.

Here is a quick edit I did to see if you think the w/b looks a bit better. I also bumped up the contrast slightly.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

djphatjive
247 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 11, 2011 00:11 |  #4

navydoc wrote in post #12736993 (external link)
On my monitor, there seems to be a slight green cast to her skin, probably a reflection off the grass surrounding her. If you have photoshop, you can open the image using ACR and adjust the white balance.

Here is a quick edit I did to see if you think the w/b looks a bit better. I also bumped up the contrast slightly.

Very nice job, I think this one looks way better.

Canon T2i Rebel with...
Canon EF-S 18-55mm lens, Canon EF-S 55-250mm lens, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
PowerShot SD1400 IS
www.glissmann.net (external link) Other Hobby. www.touchpadgames.com (external link)

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 11, 2011 00:19 as a reply to  @ navydoc's post |  #5

Green reflection under her left arm removed in PS - replace color:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Richard
Gear

Benji
Goldmember
2,203 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 11, 2011 07:36 |  #6

Shoot in Raw. Place the subject where you intend to photograph them, meter the scene, set the aperture and SS according to the meter reading, shoot an 18% gray card and then the subject. Back in the work room open the images in ACR, take the white balance eyedropper and click on the gray card, hit Select All and Synchronize and your white balance problems are 100% instantly solved.

Benji

ukcyberboy
613 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 11, 2011 10:04 as a reply to  @ Benji's post |  #7

Hi benjii, how if you don't have a grey card handy how would you solve a problem like this?
sorry OP I know what you mean with this so I was curious too.

Body | Canon 6D |
Lens | Yongnuo 50mm 1.8 |
Lens | Canon 28-70 2.8 L |
Lens | Canon 70-200is F4 L |
Lighting | Yongnuo YN600RX |
Accessories | Various Bits |​

syco
36 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 11, 2011 10:26 |  #8

You can use the white dropper (in the curve adjustment layer) on white areas too. In this shot the right lapel area is so close to blown that it's difficult to correct without blowing out. If you have the RAW file you can correct the white balance and recover the exposure.

Here's a link to a basic tutorial.
http://www.goingmanual​.com/tutorials.php?tut​id=143 (external link)

http://goingmanual.com (external link)
http://simonandrews.ne​t (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,516 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 11, 2011 10:35 |  #9

If custom white balance isn't an option, at the very least start setting your presets for the lighting that you're shooting in. In this case, the Shade preset (little, house-looking symbol) would have been a bit more appropriate and would have giving you a more "warm" image, so she wouldn't appear quite so blue. Just remember that the white balance needs to be set for the light that is falling on your subject, regardless of where you are standing.

Also, there is definitely a very slight green tint, as NavyDoc noted. Neither are difficult to fix, though, as shown in the above edits.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Benji
Goldmember
2,203 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 11, 2011 11:41 |  #10

ukcyberboy wrote in post #12738970 (external link)
Hi benjii, how if you don't have a grey card handy how would you solve a problem like this?

I always have a gray card with me! :lol: I have two in the van, and one in each of my camera rooms. In a pinch you can use anything white that the subject may be wearing, but with about 1000 different whites the results will not be perfect, but close enough for this kind of shooting.

Benji

Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 11, 2011 11:46 |  #11

It's a charming picture of a pretty child but it would have helped had you got furter down more on her level and composed the image to include her left foot. Paying attention to such details will turn you from a snapper into a photographer.

David

David

elio79
THREAD ­ STARTER
116 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 11, 2011 12:28 |  #12

Thanks everyone! Very helpful information and edits. Will work on it.

elio79
THREAD ­ STARTER
116 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 11, 2011 12:30 |  #13

Woodworker wrote in post #12739550 (external link)
It's a charming picture of a pretty child but it would have helped had you got furter down more on her level and composed the image to include her left foot. Paying attention to such details will turn you from a snapper into a photographer.

David

Yeah, this wasn't the greatest shot. I was just looking for some feedback on the white balance. I seem to be having some trouble getting it right.

elio79
THREAD ­ STARTER
116 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 11, 2011 12:32 |  #14

navydoc wrote in post #12736993 (external link)

Thanks. When I see your version I can definitely tell mine doesn't look right.

ukcyberboy
613 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 11, 2011 13:20 as a reply to  @ elio79's post |  #15

Thanks for everyones extra help.

Body | Canon 6D |
Lens | Yongnuo 50mm 1.8 |
Lens | Canon 28-70 2.8 L |
Lens | Canon 70-200is F4 L |
Lighting | Yongnuo YN600RX |
Accessories | Various Bits |​

sponsored links

1,902 views & 0 likes for this thread
white balance problem?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.