Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 11 Jul 2011 (Monday) 20:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk I vs. Canon 50mm 1.4 vs Sigma 30mm 1.4

nishywishy
231 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 11, 2011 20:42 |  #1

I'm having an indecisive moment: I want to do lots more of my indoor shoot of my kids. I have a crop body (450D). Budget is a bit of an issue (would prefer not to over way over the $400 mark). Originally I was just going to replace my cheap 50mm 1.8 Mark II with a Mark I and keep on keeping on. But then I started looking around - and the 1.4 looked good (but it is about $150 more than the 1.8 Mark I)... and then once I looked at that one, I looked at the Sigma 30mm 1.4, and read good reviews... Suddenly, I'm looking at $200 more than originally planned and it all seems so convincing!!!:confused: But, I am just a beginner, and maybe a good quality Nifty Fifty is really all I need for the time being... Thoughts?

Hi! I'm a newbie! :grin: But I doubt it's a secret...

sponsored links
dumbttt
110 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 11, 2011 20:49 |  #2

nishywishy wrote in post #12742350 (external link)
I'm having an indecisive moment: I want to do lots more of my indoor shoot of my kids. I have a crop body (450D). Budget is a bit of an issue (would prefer not to over way over the $400 mark). Originally I was just going to replace my cheap 50mm 1.8 Mark II with a Mark I and keep on keeping on. But then I started looking around - and the 1.4 looked good (but it is about $150 more than the 1.8 Mark I)... and then once I looked at that one, I looked at the Sigma 30mm 1.4, and read good reviews... Suddenly, I'm looking at $200 more than originally planned and it all seems so convincing!!!:confused: But, I am just a beginner, and maybe a good quality Nifty Fifty is really all I need for the time being... Thoughts?

I wouldn't get another 50mm lens to shoot kids indoor. My house is decent size, but I am have trouble getting more than half-body shots. You are first the dad, then the photographer. You don't want to always be half a house away when your kids are playing, so in this situation, wider is the way to go. In fact, I am not sure if 30mm is wide enough. You can always crop later.

nishywishy
THREAD ­ STARTER
231 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 11, 2011 20:54 |  #3

dumbttt wrote in post #12742386 (external link)
I wouldn't get another 50mm lens to shoot kids indoor. My house is decent size, but I am have trouble getting more than half-body shots. You are first the dad, then the photographer. You don't want to always be half a house away when your kids are playing, so in this situation, wider is the way to go. In fact, I am not sure if 30mm is wide enough. You can always crop later.

Thanks for the advice! How wide would you go?
Ps. I'm a mommy!:)

dumbttt
110 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 11, 2011 20:58 |  #4

nishywishy wrote in post #12742409 (external link)

Sorry. I am contemplating the same and not sure. I feel somewhere between 20-30mm is a good bet. It shouldn't be so wide that causes distortion or interferes with framing, but should be wide enough to cover the scene. I may get the Sigma 30mm and another wider lens (possibly the Sigma 20mm 1.8 or 24mm 1.8) and try them out.

thestone11
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined May 2011

Jul 11, 2011 21:00 |  #5

30mm f/1.4 will be my pick on a crop body, especially shooting indoor. You don't have to walk far away to capture more into your picture.

Canon 5D MK II | Fuji X100 | Canon T2i | Canon 100mm macro f/2.8 | Canon 135L f/2 | Canon 50mm f/1.2 L | 17-40mm f/4 L | 24-70mm f/2.8 L | 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM |Canon 430EX II Flash X2 | Pocketwizard TT5 & TT1

Fernando
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 11, 2011 21:03 |  #6

nishywishy wrote in post #12742409 (external link)

I traded my Sigma 50 for a wide angle and brought my MkI out of retirement for when I need speed. If I were to go with a prime for indoor shots I would go with the Sigma 30 however since the 50 is just a bit too long for me.

Fuji convert - Ping me if you have any Fuji gear or legacy glass you're moving.

absplastic
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 11, 2011 21:10 |  #7

I loved playing around with my 50/1.8 mk II for the shallow DOF, but it was poor at tracking kids because of the slow AF. Ditto for pets. It's certainly not the lens you want if you ever expect to be using AI Servo focus. The 50/1.4 is a huge improvement in that regard, as well as most others. I've heard wonderful things about the 30/1.4 Sigma, but unlike the aforementioned 50's, I haven't ever personally ever used that lens so I'll let others sing its praises. I do very much agree that 50mm is to long on a crop body for a general purpose indoor portrait lens. Something in the 28-35 range is more suitable.

If you've got a zoom lens like the 18-55, do the following test indoors during the day (when there is ample light): crank up your ISO so that you're not concerned about shutter speed, and just follow the kids around snapping the sort of pictures you intend to take, concerning yourself only with getting the composition right in the viewfinder (but not looking at the focal length setting on the lens). Then when you've got a bunch of sample shots, flip through them in whatever you use to look at thumbnails (Lightroom?) and check out the focal lengths that were used, as shown in the EXIF data. That will give you a good idea of what focal length lens(es) you should have in primes for this task.

You could also set the zoom to 28, 30, 35, etc.. and see if it works for you, but I personally prefer the "blind" test approach above, because it will reveal what you want, rather than what you could get by with. For me, I was all over the place and the results of doing the trial with my 18-55mm kit lens were that I used the whole range, and that's how I ended up with the 17-55 upgrade rather than a prime or two.

5DSR, 6D, 16-35/4L IS, 85L II, 100L macro, Sigma 150-600C
SL1, 10-18 STM, 18-55 STM, 40 STM, 50 STM
My (mostly) Fashion and Portraiture Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link) (NSFW)

Soda-Pop
539 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 11, 2011 21:13 |  #8

30 1.4 is a great indoor lens, just wide enough so that youre getting a lot on the photo while maintaining a close distance and dont have to move away from the action to get the shot. Also, i owned the siggy 50 1.4 for about 3 months before deciding to spend the money on a new desktop... (huge mistake btw) and the lens was amazing, wasnt extremely sharp wide open at 1.4, but it maintainedfocusing speed and the photos looked perfect after a bit of PP.

But since youre on a budget, the 50 1.8 is a good option (im picking one up myself next week). Its sharp lightweight and cheap. The 1.8 is good for inside but imo the 50 is a bit long for indoors.

Just my .02

I am 17 years old! One of the young'ins!
--
Gear: 5D mark II, 24-105 f/4L IS USM, a bazillion ThinkTank bags. (Guess who's papa works there? :P)

phreeky
Goldmember
3,514 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 11, 2011 21:27 |  #9

The 30 F/1.4 is awesome. But what lenses do you already own? I'm not entirely sure I'd recommend it over a good flash first, because even though the 30mm is great sometimes I find myself stopped down because the extreme shallow DoF can get a little tiring.

My boy is 7mth old now and just getting mobile - not super mobile, but he'll manage to move a few metres across the room. I think the nice fast AF of the Sigma 30 is going to start becoming more important as he gets more active (and the Canon 85 will get a workout outdoors).

kf095
Out buying Wheaties
6,737 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 11, 2011 21:43 |  #10

would prefer not to over way over the $400 mark

Skip all three if you want to take pictures of kids indoors.
For 399 CAD plus taxes and free UPS shipment you could get Tamron 28-75 2.8 with six years of Canadian warranty from e-bay, but real store in Ontario.
It is sharp at 2.8 and at ISO 400 you could handle it wideopen indoors with regular lights.
I have this lens on 500D allmost all time.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Nickc84
Goldmember
2,064 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 11, 2011 21:46 |  #11

why get rid of the plastic?

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6130/5928318698_b9ce865596_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …icholascaputo/5​928318698/  (external link)
IMG_1187 (external link) by Bokehliciousss (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4083/4963625473_fa09b027ec_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …icholascaputo/4​963625473/  (external link)
Innisfree Garden (external link) by Bokehliciousss (external link), on Flickr

nishywishy
THREAD ­ STARTER
231 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 11, 2011 21:53 |  #12

phreeky wrote in post #12742586 (external link)
The 30 F/1.4 is awesome. But what lenses do you already own? I'm not entirely sure I'd recommend it over a good flash first, because even though the 30mm is great sometimes I find myself stopped down because the extreme shallow DoF can get a little tiring.

My boy is 7mth old now and just getting mobile - not super mobile, but he'll manage to move a few metres across the room. I think the nice fast AF of the Sigma 30 is going to start becoming more important as he gets more active (and the Canon 85 will get a workout outdoors).

I got the flash (430 EX II)! But it didn't satisfy the lens itch...just diminished my wallet!:confused:

I have the kit lens that came with my Rebel XSi - 18-55mm and a 55-250. I just sold my 50mm 1.8 Mk II because it looked like it might not make it through the summer. So, now I'm looking to replace it. I wondered if I hadn't made a mistake in selling it - maybe should have just ran it into the ground... but it's done. I've got my eye on a Mk I for about $250, though. Thinking that while it may not be perfect for indoor shots, it might be what I'll have to be satisfied with... and one day, when I upgrade to a ff body, I'll have a healthy nifty fifty to play with!

bagtagsell
602 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 11, 2011 21:53 |  #13

kf095 wrote in post #12742698 (external link)
It is sharp at 2.8 and at ISO 400 you could handle it wideopen indoors with regular lights.
I have this lens on 500D allmost all time.

I've heard a lot of people say that before. I guess we keep our house really dark b/c at 2.8 I have to shoot at 1600 ISO. On a crop body the 30 1.4 is a good perspective.

Mark Ryan Photography (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Gear List

nishywishy
THREAD ­ STARTER
231 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 11, 2011 21:54 |  #14

Wow, these are gorgeous! I think you've convinced me to get the Mk I! Or at new Mk II! (Mine was really on the way out - wabbling parts, strange sounds...)

enrigonz
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 11, 2011 21:56 |  #15

what is it that the 50 f/1.8 is not doing for you that you feel the need for another lens? You will get many different opinions here and that includes mine..... the 50 f/1.8 is a great lens, I find it to be perfect for the price and performance, unless you have a bad copy I would continue shooting with it and perhaps buy other stuff like a flash or another fast lens to compliment your 50mm. Maybe even look at a fast zoom lens such as the Tamron 17-55mm f/2.8 which will be great for what you want. You really don't mention what's wrong with your nifty-fifty, the fact that is plastic means nothing if you're getting results such as those posted above.

Canon Stuff :) |Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

6,790 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk I vs. Canon 50mm 1.4 vs Sigma 30mm 1.4
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.