Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 11 Jul 2011 (Monday) 19:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Light Meters

Markd102
649 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined May 2011

Jul 11, 2011 19:35 |  #1

Just started playing around and learning to use multiple speedlights.
I'm thinking that a light meter would my life a bit easier.

What is the cheapest meter available that is still reasonable quality?

Any other hints appreciated also.

sponsored links
mikewinburn
Goldmember
1,609 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 11, 2011 20:22 |  #2

Interfit Interfit Flash Meter

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …t_INT410_Flash_​Meter.html (external link)

it works

Gear: The Official Gear List / Market Feedback / Sig thread #2468
flickr (external link)
WinburnCreations (external link)

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jul 11, 2011 21:24 |  #3

Markd102 wrote in post #12741978 (external link)
Just started playing around and learning to use multiple speedlights.
I'm thinking that a light meter would my life a bit easier.

The first thing that you must understand is that NO light meter, regardless of cost, will do anything beneficial for you if the Speedlites are being used in ETTL mode (automatic exposure control in concert with the camera). ONLY if you use the Speedlite(s) in fully manual mode will a light meter be beneficial.

The most popular handheld light meter these days (for several very valid reasons) is the Sekonic L-358.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

mikewinburn
Goldmember
1,609 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 11, 2011 21:30 |  #4

SkipD wrote in post #12742575 (external link)
The first thing that you must understand is that NO light meter, regardless of cost, will do anything beneficial for you if the Speedlites are being used in ETTL mode (automatic exposure control in concert with the camera). ONLY if you use the Speedlite(s) in fully manual mode will a light meter be beneficial.

The most popular handheld light meter these days (for several very valid reasons) is the Sekonic L-358.

skip... i agree with you in practice..though, even a baisc light meter will be helpful for beginner to learn to take ambient exposure readings... and for that matter, using the meter to just balance ETTL flash using the ARCF mode can be useful... of course, like you said, though, you need to spend a little extra for quality to be able to do that... :)

Gear: The Official Gear List / Market Feedback / Sig thread #2468
flickr (external link)
WinburnCreations (external link)

Markd102
THREAD ­ STARTER
649 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined May 2011

Jul 11, 2011 22:26 |  #5

Thanks guys. Definitely using them in manual mode.

Is the L-308s suitable? What does the 358 give me that the 308 doesn't?

thaking
Goldmember
1,358 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 11, 2011 22:35 |  #6

i have the L-308s and it does what i need it to do...works great...can't answer what the difference is, but if you're looking for a good, cheap meter, i don't think you would go wrong with the L-308s...

m.shalaby
Goldmember
3,443 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 11, 2011 22:37 as a reply to  @ thaking's post |  #7

I also use the L-308S as well. It is a little cheap/plasticy feeling... kinda wish I sprung for the L358 just for the heaver duty material used, but otherwise they work the same for what I shoot.

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jul 12, 2011 03:49 |  #8

Markd102 wrote in post #12742941 (external link)
What does the 358 give me that the 308 doesn't?

The L-358 can show a ratio between ambient (constantly on) lighting and flash sourced lighting. The L-358 can also be fitted with a module to trigger standard PocketWizard radio slave receivers.

Skip Douglas

m.shalaby
Goldmember
3,443 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 12, 2011 07:01 |  #9

SkipD wrote in post #12744034 (external link)
The L-358 can show a ratio between ambient (constantly on) lighting and flash sourced lighting. The L-358 can also be fitted with a module to trigger standard PocketWizard radio slave receivers.

it can also be calibrated to your body. almost all bodies are slightly off in exposure readings compared to what the Sekonic meters read out.

you can do 1/10th stop increment calibrations

Damian75
Goldmember
1,623 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 12, 2011 08:14 |  #10

I have one of these http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …olaris_Digital_​Meter.html (external link) it is just my backup meter but I have found it to be very accurate.

Canon EOS 40D,30D, Canon 70-200 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 85 1.8, Canon extension tube, Elinchrom Lighting gear, 
Website (external link)

ukcyberboy
613 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 12, 2011 08:29 |  #11

I have this Kenko KFM1100 (external link), they took over Minolta, you can get it a lot cheaper second hand or go for equivalent Minolta. They also tell you how much flash/ambient balance in a basic quarter segments.

Body | Canon 6D |
Lens | Yongnuo 50mm 1.8 |
Lens | Canon 28-70 2.8 L |
Lens | Canon 70-200is F4 L |
Lighting | Yongnuo YN600RX |
Accessories | Various Bits |​

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jul 12, 2011 09:55 |  #12

mikewinburn wrote in post #12742613 (external link)
skip... i agree with you in practice..though, even a baisc light meter will be helpful for beginner to learn to take ambient exposure readings... and for that matter, using the meter to just balance ETTL flash using the ARCF mode can be useful... of course, like you said, though, you need to spend a little extra for quality to be able to do that... :)

Can you measure the a flash output of a flash in ETTL mode with your meter? I know the Sekonic meters won't let you do that because it always meters the preflash and not the main flash.

...Leo

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jul 12, 2011 10:20 |  #13

mikewinburn wrote in post #12742613 (external link)

What the heck is "the ARCF mode"? I never heard that one.

Skip Douglas

Zigot
601 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 12, 2011 10:32 |  #14

How would you use the balance of ambient/flash in an studio environment?

7D, 5Dii, 5Diii, 70-300L, 24-105L 70-200Lii, 135L, 85, Tammy 150-600, 430EXii, 550EX, 580EXii, Σ50, Σ105 Macro, Σ150 Macro, ΣEM-140, Σ1.4x, LensBaby 3G, White lightnings, Bowens. Gear - feedbacks

jobv2
561 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 12, 2011 10:47 |  #15

i think the 308s will be just fine. i have had both the 308s and 358 and the 308s handled just fine doing most of what the 358 was able to do.

i originally bought the 308s because i got a good deal on it used, you should search the boards for a good deal on whatever meter you wish but i would seriously consider post #2 about the Interfit meter (although you're international im not sure how they ship out there)

1D Mark iin, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/4, 580ex ii, android, two left feet
gear| feedback
:cool:

sponsored links

3,630 views & 0 likes for this thread
Light Meters
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.