Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 13 Jul 2011 (Wednesday) 21:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Volleyball Pics

touthao
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 13, 2011 21:22 |  #1

I'm still learning how to do proper sports shots. One of the main things I have trouble is that the action sometimes moves so fast that I can't catch it. Any tips and suggestions would help. Thanks!

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

sponsored links
Tiger_993
553 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 13, 2011 22:32 |  #2

You did really well. Volleyball is very difficult to shoot - watching that ball randomly bounce around at hypersonic speed makes getting well executed shots a challenge! Here's a thread that has a lot of good tips: https://photography-on-the.net …7866&highlight=​volleyball

5DM2 + BG-E6 | 50 1.4 | TS-E 17L | 16-35L | 135L | 70-200 f/4L IS

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 14, 2011 08:30 |  #3

those are excellent.

dwarrenr
Goldmember
1,650 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 14, 2011 09:09 |  #4

Volleyball is difficult in only that you have to shoot it different then other sports...sort of. There is plenty of opportunities to get great action shots with VB, and if you try to get them all you will end up pulling your hair out. When I shoot a VB match I set out with a game plan. I'll typically sit in two different places during the matches when I'm not using strobes. First I'll set up about two feet to the left of the net post. This angle will get me good shots of the server and net play as well as digs on the side of the court I'm shooting from. When the server is on my side of the net I'll concentrate a few shots on the server. After the serve I'll watch and see how play develops. It's pretty easy to tell what the players are setting up for. Once I see that I know where to focus in on the action shot. When the server is on the other side of the net, I focus on where I think the serve is going to land and grab what is typically some level of a dig. You'll then have time to quickly assess where the team is setting up the kill shot, and focus on that area.

The other place I like to set up is behind the back base line. (similar position as all of your shots were taken, but I'll set on the floor/ground near one of the corners and grab shots (digs/blocks/kills) of the players on the opposite side of the court. You're keeper rate will be lower at this angle, but you will be able to grab some great shots from that position.

D. Warren Robison
"All guys feel the need to compensate. Most compensate with sports cars. I compensate with a 400mm 2.8"
Flickr (external link) - Home Page (external link) - MaxPreps Gallery - (external link)Razzi (external link)
Equipment List

touthao
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 14, 2011 09:20 |  #5

Thanks all! Your posts really helped!

Damadsetta
442 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 14, 2011 11:18 |  #6

I would try and shoot a little tighter. The action you've captured is good (I especially like 2 and 6, face of the hitter, ball in the picture, 2 blockers going up) A good deal of these shots can be cropped down to focus more on the action. Also, something you'll come to learn for volleyball is that vertical orientation tends to work better. Give that a shot and you'll definitely like the results.

touthao
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 14, 2011 15:55 |  #7

Damadsetta wrote in post #12757375 (external link)
I would try and shoot a little tighter. The action you've captured is good (I especially like 2 and 6, face of the hitter, ball in the picture, 2 blockers going up) A good deal of these shots can be cropped down to focus more on the action. Also, something you'll come to learn for volleyball is that vertical orientation tends to work better. Give that a shot and you'll definitely like the results.

Thanks Damadsetta, I'll have to keep that in mind for next time. Cropping seems like it'll work for this as well.

disneydork06
Cream of the Crop
7,313 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 15, 2011 03:05 |  #8

I second everything damadsetta says. btw, if you play the game yourself then it will be a lot easier. just need to shoot a little tighter (and/or crop tighter) and also try and shoot in portrait mode so that you can get rid of a lot of that noisy background. By noisy I mean cluttered...With that, it my help a little if you tried to find a spot where there weren't too many things in the background or, I can't tell from the photos too well, if you could find a spot to sit on the ground and shoot up that might unclutter it a bit.

I shoot more girls vball and their game is just a lot slower to photograph, so if you need a little more help with timing try a game or two of womens, then move onto guys. good luck!

Ryan
~AZ POTN Planned Activities (external link)
let me know how I can improve, cause we all know I need it :): Flickr (external link)
myspace (external link) facebook (external link) The Greatest online forum known on Earthtwitter (external link)[URL="http://www.500px​.com/RDimal"]500xp follow me! in something^ you know you want to

lenny77
33 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 15, 2011 15:32 |  #9

touthao wrote in post #12754552 (external link)
One of the main things I have trouble is that the action sometimes moves so fast that I can't catch it. Any tips and suggestions would help. Thanks!

When I'm shooting sports with my 50mm f/1.8 on my 30D, I shoot with both eyes open. This really helps me anticipate the "moment" with greater consistency, particularly when I want to shoot a certain player or position. I can keep my camera trained on that player and wait for the ball to come into the frame, with my left eye giving me plenty of warning. This only works, however, for balls going left to right.

When I shoot with my 100mm, I can still shoot with both eyes open, but it gets tricky because the decreased angel of view creates a greater blind spot when the ball travels from the view of one eye to the other. With practice, it can still be done, though.

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,506 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 15, 2011 15:35 |  #10

I would love to see a tighter, vertical crop of the striker in #2 :)

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Binyo
36 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 16, 2011 04:23 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

As a learner you aren't doing badly.

2goldens
547 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 16, 2011 08:16 |  #12

It isn't easy. I like to go to my sons soccer games and take pictures. I just use the action setting on my 60D and let her rip. I take around 400 and 800 shots depending.(I need another HD) I mostly try for the action shots and face shots. It makes me laugh when I set up the shots I have taken and play them back so I can see all the different expressions. But, like me, just keep snapping away. Ask questions here and you will get answers. I love to come and look around and dream of being able to take pictures like most of the people around here. :):)

Remember to "See what the camera sees".

Anthony
60D/and stuff

MJTSUB
31 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 16, 2011 14:31 as a reply to  @ 2goldens's post |  #13

Nice framing!

J.Napier
886 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 16, 2011 15:45 |  #14

touthao,
Unfortunately most of these shots with the excepetion of 1 or 2 are either late or early (not peak action). With that said its not a bad start though. The last one I dont see any reason to post if your looking for comment on action.
To help with C&C you should number your photos next time. I agree with the others that tighter shots and crops would help these images be better action shots.
1. Is late and needs a tighter verticle crop.
2.Late, needs a tighter horizonal crop, straighten horizion.
3.Late, if this was shot for defensive subject we should be seeing thier faces, crop, horizon.shadow center botom???
4&5. probely your best shot with #4 being the best IMHO, still need cropped.
6. ??? not sure why this was included or what is going on here.
In short work on your timing, compostion. Also do your PP prior to posting so we can see the very best of what you have to offer for C&C.
Hope this helps, and I look forward to seeing future work and your progress.

Jeff
Gear List
www.jni-ss.com / (external link)Blog (external link)
Sportshooterpage (external link) / Maxpreps (external link)
Facebook  (external link)/

touthao
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 18, 2011 14:04 |  #15

J.Napier wrote in post #12769667 (external link)
touthao,
Unfortunately most of these shots with the excepetion of 1 or 2 are either late or early (not peak action). With that said its not a bad start though. The last one I dont see any reason to post if your looking for comment on action.
To help with C&C you should number your photos next time. I agree with the others that tighter shots and crops would help these images be better action shots.
1. Is late and needs a tighter verticle crop.
2.Late, needs a tighter horizonal crop, straighten horizion.
3.Late, if this was shot for defensive subject we should be seeing thier faces, crop, horizon.shadow center botom???
4&5. probely your best shot with #4 being the best IMHO, still need cropped.
6. ??? not sure why this was included or what is going on here.
In short work on your timing, compostion. Also do your PP prior to posting so we can see the very best of what you have to offer for C&C.
Hope this helps, and I look forward to seeing future work and your progress.

Awesome! Thanks for the analysis! I love posts like this. For a first timer like myself to finally post up pictures, posts like this really helps me out. Thanks a lot JNapier. I'll try to work on crafting better images.

sponsored links

2,775 views & 0 likes for this thread
Volleyball Pics
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.