Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 12 Jul 2011 (Tuesday) 07:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Restoration-Who does it?

Stone-Rogers
169 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 12, 2011 07:08 |  #1

A few weeks back, a friend of the family asked if I could restore her parents wedding photos from 50 years ago.
No problem. Scan, clean up and make some prints and an album for her. About 300.00 worth. She was thrilled.
Last week, another business friend called and they have a photo of his grandparents-right off the boat, (taken around 1920 or so). They bring over the print. It's falling apart but, I can fix pretty quick. Again, scan, fix and make a print for her and a digital copy for his brother in Cali. About 50.00, (took 30 minutes-tops).
Just now, I got an email from another friend asking if I can do some restoration for her.

This is not a service I've advertised and word of mouth is spreading like wildfire.

Anyone else do photo restoration?

www.stone-rogers.com (external link)

sponsored links
mmb
117 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 12, 2011 12:59 |  #2

I don't but a lot of the on location studios seem to.

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,883 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 12, 2011 14:12 |  #3

Stone-Rogers wrote in post #12744438 (external link)
Anyone else do photo restoration?

From time to time as well as some retouching.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 12, 2011 14:31 |  #4

Not an advertised service but recently did a few from c. 1907 - 1918.

Maybe I should advertise after all.

digirebelva
Goldmember
3,987 posts
Gallery: 370 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 12, 2011 14:39 as a reply to  @ Nightstalker's post |  #5

My framer keeps coming to me with those kind of projects...actually enjoy them, its something different and causes me to learn new pp'ing techniques.

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 13, 2011 01:29 |  #6

Nope. I'd make 'em worse. hah

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

proimages
319 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 13, 2011 02:43 |  #7

If you get too busy send them my way!! and THX!!
cheers
Darrin

Proimages.com (external link) - DarrinNupuf.com (external link) - Nupufnudes.com (external link) - video stock (external link)

asysin2leads
I'm kissing arse
6,329 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 13, 2011 03:01 as a reply to  @ proimages's post |  #8

I will only do it for family and VERY close friends. I did a picture of my grandma when she was young (~20) that was pretty rough. They wanted a poster (11x14) size. It took me quite a while, but was able to put it together for them. It made me feel good.

Kevin
https://www.google.com ….com&ctz=Americ​a/New_York (external link)

fredroj
66 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 13, 2011 17:08 |  #9

Don't do much but when it comes around i charge 35.00 an hour...normally it doesn't even take that long for me to restore..also depends on the condition of the photo.

LONDON808
872 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 14, 2011 03:59 |  #10

Err remember that thing called copyright - what your doing would actualy be wrong

View My Flickr (external link)

Stone-Rogers
THREAD ­ STARTER
169 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 14, 2011 06:56 |  #11

LONDON808 wrote in post #12755897 (external link)
Err remember that thing called copyright - what your doing would actualy be wrong

How so? The photograph I just restored was taken probably, in the 1920s. Likely, the photographer is long dead.
Same with the wedding photos I restored. They were taken 50 years ago. The photographer is long gone.
I just picked up another project like this. The photos were taken in the early 1960s by an unknown studio. The owners tried to find the studio but, they have been out of business for a very long time. My client's would love to have new prints made from the original negatives. They are unavailable.

Stone-Rogers
THREAD ­ STARTER
169 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 14, 2011 08:17 |  #12

Ok, sent a note over to a couple of lawyer friends concerning this. This action, (restoration) falls within "Fair Use" since the owners of the prints are only looking to archive their photos and the photographers/studios are no longer available/don't have this service.
One lawyer friend said this is like fixing a person's Corvette. You may repair the Corvette.
You cannot take a Chevette, remove the body and put a Corvette body on the Chevette and try to sell it as a Corvette.

Tweet
337 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 14, 2011 11:09 as a reply to  @ Stone-Rogers's post |  #13

Thats great. If you ever get too many and don't have the time, or if you ever get a difficult one to repair, I've had good luck with these guys: http://www.hollywoodfo​tofix.com/ (external link) and the price is reasonable. Just a suggestion.

Stone-Rogers
THREAD ­ STARTER
169 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 14, 2011 13:23 |  #14

I thought of them before.
The issue is, I have 1 original copy of a very old photo. It is falling to pieces-really. It's pretty large piece-12 X 18 so I had to do a double scan and have Photoshop stitch it together, (worked flawlessly). Then, go in and repair the tears and scratches.
The silver halide in the print has migrated to the top making parts of the prints look purple. Recolor that and set to print a 10 X 12 for the client. Printed on archival paper with the Epson 2200. It should last another 100 years or so.

Tweet
337 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 14, 2011 14:23 |  #15

You don't send them the photo, You just scan and send the digital file. I think the first one is free to get you to use the service. You don't have anything to lose. I consider my self very skilled in Photoshop, but sometimes I don't want to take the time to stitch it together when some guy in India will do it for pennies on the dollar...

sponsored links

1,752 views & 0 likes for this thread
Restoration-Who does it?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.