Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 15 Jul 2011 (Friday) 04:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

School Photography

lavenlaar
89 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 15, 2011 04:08 |  #1

Hi all

I've just secured contracts to do school photos at 2 schools for next year (primary/elementary) so far - with proposals sent out to all schools in district.

Now I'd like to ask those out there that do this type of photography, what do have in your bags? what do you take with you ? what can't you do without ?

Obviously I'm about to go on a nice spending spree on few lenses and lighting, and was not wanting to buy something that I will not use etc.

Any help appreciated

Brendan

RIPPLESTRIP eZINE (external link)

sponsored links
focus.pocus
Goldmember
3,423 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 15, 2011 04:57 |  #2

not making fun of you but you got contracts for these type of photos and you don't know what you will need???

I know, right? I'm just sayin'...

lavenlaar
THREAD ­ STARTER
89 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 15, 2011 05:13 |  #3

Iwas asking if anyone that does this type, if you started out then the next year you needed something else you didnt have on the 1st shoot. Not that I dont know what i need... just don't really want to 'over-capitalise' on equipment.

Lenses im going to purchasing are
24 -70 f/2.8 for portraits
and
16-28 for class shot...
Unless you can recommend alternatives that may suit better.

What are your thoughts on a macro lens for portraits...? say the 105mm?

sorry for confusion mate

Old ­ Coot
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 15, 2011 09:00 |  #4

I don't do school photography, but I have a camera and I teach school, so when the photographers come out, I look at what they have.
The most recent photo session we had, the photographer had a pack/head 3 light system with home-made diffusers over the heads, a Canon 30d, a non-L prime and a green-screen backdrop. I gave the photographer grief about the 30d and he said that the part-timers get the "hand me down" gear and the full time folks get the new stuff. It did not really matter because the guy was good at it and my son's pictures turned out wonderfully.

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

2DP
118 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 15, 2011 09:12 as a reply to  @ Old Coot's post |  #5

2 of everything

DLitton
855 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 16, 2011 02:03 |  #6

Old Coot wrote in post #12762504 (external link)
I don't do school photography, but I have a camera and I teach school, so when the photographers come out, I look at what they have.
The most recent photo session we had, the photographer had a pack/head 3 light system with home-made diffusers over the heads, a Canon 30d, a non-L prime and a green-screen backdrop. I gave the photographer grief about the 30d and he said that the part-timers get the "hand me down" gear and the full time folks get the new stuff. It did not really matter because the guy was good at it and my son's pictures turned out wonderfully.

dont hate on the 30d. :) as you said "it did not matter b/c the guy was good at it"

David

Duff
381 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 16, 2011 02:46 as a reply to  @ 2DP's post |  #7

Two of everything is not an exaggeration. If you are doing this on contract and have all those students waiting, you better have backups for every critical item in your bag in case something does not work the day of the shoot. Worse yet if something stops working half way through it!

Duff - Gary McDuffie Jr
Personal Photos (external link)
"I'm not a professional, but I DID take a picture of a Holiday Inn Express last night!"

Old ­ Coot
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 16, 2011 19:22 |  #8

DLitton wrote in post #12767171 (external link)
dont hate on the 30d. :) as you said "it did not matter b/c the guy was good at it"

No hating going on here- the photographer made the magic, not the gear. :)

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

1Twist
843 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 16, 2011 19:25 |  #9

Xanax - for you - not the children

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,597 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jul 16, 2011 20:22 |  #10

IMO a set of consistent and reliable lights more important than what camera or lens you use.

Gearlist

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 16, 2011 22:58 |  #11

any camera
basically any lens
remote trigger

2 or even 3 sets of lights and modifiers..no ifs ands or buts on that

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 17, 2011 17:43 as a reply to  @ mikekelley's post |  #12

I've done some schools in the past, the largest being about 350 students. You are not doing portraits, this is school pictures and the school expects you to keep the students for a minimum amount of time. I hired two people to work with me for the days of shooting and retained one of them through the post production period.

I agree with the comments of two of everything. This includes the strobes and have replacement bulbs for them. We had our own backgrounds but before we would check check with the schools to see if they had a school color they wanted us to use. We weren't going out and buying backgrounds specifically for this but I already have a selection of 6 different ones. I used my 1DsMKIII and had another one as backup. I used both a 24-105 and 24-70 lenses and on a full frame body was wide enough for any the groups we were faced with. We shot tethered to a laptop that also backed up to an external drive as the shots came in. I also shot jpg as I don't see the value in RAW in this environment. You get your settings nailed down and then leave them alone. The largest print in our package was an 8 x 10. We even supplied our own stools for sitting the students on. You are doing allot of shots in a short period of time so make sure that your strobes are solid and won't over heat.

Good luck.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

lavenlaar
THREAD ­ STARTER
89 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 18, 2011 00:51 as a reply to  @ ssim's post |  #13

Thank you to those that responded.
@SSim - insightful - i was also going down the same path as you previously did being tethering and lenses etc. It's just great to hear from others that have done this.

I will have myself and another photographer on the day .. 1 doing sitting and other doing class so to make like a cattle-line of the kids.. going from the portraits to the class as they are done. Also 2 aides will be there as well organising the little ones.

Sound advice taken on doubles....

Thanks guys
PS nothing wrong with a 30D ! was my first

alexdesign
427 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 19, 2011 11:31 |  #14

Gratz on getting schools sign contracts. My son goes to elementary school and they always cry how they don't have money for anything and ask parents to donate money almost on monthly basis.

I was going to offer them this year to do pro-bono photo shoot. I am just a beginner but I think I can do a decent job on school events. Then maybe offer school post photos online and have parents buy them for school's profit?

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/62731114@N02/ (external link)

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 19, 2011 11:41 |  #15

I would suggest:

1. A box of tissue for runny noses, a pack of wipes for dirty faces.
2. A box of cheap disposable combs for the dire cases that need it.
3. A hand held mirror for girl's last minute "how do i look" checks, if you think there is time for it, there often is NOT.
4. Bottled water and an energy bar for YOU, this is usually a fast paced thing and you need to stay hydrated.
5. A sense of humor. My nephew showed up for his 7th grade pictures with pink curlers in his hair because he thought school pictures were lame and this was his way of protesting it. The photographer threw a fit and refused to photograph him because he wasn't taking it seriously, and a wise teacher intervened and the shots were taken. My sister bought the pictures and when this now 30 year old kid comes home for thanksgiving, he still sees that 8X10 on the fireplace. : )

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

sponsored links

2,061 views & 0 likes for this thread
School Photography
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.