Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 15 Jul 2011 (Friday) 00:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

OK, I'm scared!

Ekir
279 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 15, 2011 00:42 |  #1

hey!

My 50D just said "shooting not possible, reinstall battery" (can't remember err code)
I took the battery out, put it back in, and tried again, a loud pop and funny smell came out, electical smell!

anyone come across this? Im wondering whether to put a new battery in or rechare the other one, or just not turn it on at all?

Lou

sponsored links
Ekir
THREAD ­ STARTER
279 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 15, 2011 00:50 |  #2

Update- Called service centre, they recomended to try another battery, have done, and there is no problem with that one. They said if that one doesn't work send it in, but have herd how long that takes!

Wondering now, the offending battery is on charge and charging fine, was this a once off? should I try that battery again?

NivoMedia
258 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 15, 2011 00:53 |  #3

If you smelled the burnt plastic smell - I would send it in. there is no use leaving it up to chance it will cost you something in the end no matter what.

I use a {3+2}D Mark [10-8] and a (23-16)D and a Nikon D(75+75)x2s and a Nikon D(38+2)x

bsaber
I have no idea what's going on
3,536 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 15, 2011 01:30 |  #4

If you smell burnt electrical, I wouldn't use that battery again.

LONDON808
872 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 15, 2011 03:33 as a reply to  @ bsaber's post |  #5

is this a canon battery or an aftermarket

View My Flickr (external link)

KVN ­ Photo
Goldmember
1,940 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 15, 2011 09:20 |  #6

Maybe you'd want it to be look by canon service center, to make sure everything is alright.
Just my suggestion. It might be sucks if this happened again when you are shooting.

X-Pro1 + 18-55 f/2.8-4 OIS + 55-200 f/3.8-4.5 OIS
TS-E 24 f/3.5L II + XF 35 f/1.4 + XF 56 f/1.2
Sony RX100 II + G12
Travel the world!

Ekir
THREAD ­ STARTER
279 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 15, 2011 16:53 |  #7

@ london808, yeah its the aftermarket one thats playing up, the original canon battery works fine!

@KVN yeah i think I'll take it to my camera shop and see what they reckon!

Thanks everyone

vitacura
Goldmember
1,514 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 15, 2011 16:56 |  #8

I would not use the aftermarket battery anymore.

Gear & Feedback

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,267 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 15, 2011 16:58 |  #9

I would definitely dispose of the after market battery. Li-ion batteries can do very destructive things when they fail, like generate a tremendous amount of heat, enough to cause the plastic parts to catch fire. If the puff of smoke did come from the battery, that is indicating that something is shorting out in the battery. Worse things can happen. Stick to the Canon battery.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Ekir
THREAD ­ STARTER
279 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 15, 2011 18:23 |  #10

Thank you! Said battery is going in the bin! The next spare will be a Canon!

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 15, 2011 18:27 |  #11

What brand of aftermarket battery was it? I'm just curious. I've always bought canon batteries up until a couple of years ago. Dude at Samy's sold me a lenmark, insisting that a lot of their customers used them and were very happy with them, so I tried them out. couldn't be happier with the 3 Lenmark I currently have on the go. Your story scares me, but I suspect you either got a bad battery or some other rare thing. That bites.

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

Ekir
THREAD ­ STARTER
279 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 15, 2011 19:40 |  #12

All it says on it is "rohs CE", I brought it from camera house, just rang them up, they have a 12month warrenty and said to bring it in and they will swap it for a new one! Good results, I thought my $50 would just be written off!

Ekir
THREAD ­ STARTER
279 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 15, 2011 19:42 |  #13

The battery is about 6months old and havn't had a problem with it until now, but it has been raining heaps here, and I was shooting outdoors on the day it happened, widering f moisture got in the battery when I changed it or something!

LONDON808
872 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 15, 2011 20:07 |  #14

Ekir wrote in post #12764925 (external link)
@ london808, yeah its the aftermarket one thats playing up, the original canon battery works fine!

Inside the battery is a charging circuit, in some after market there is LESS parts OR older looking parts (larger and more retro in design)

chances are what you have done is blown something in the battery, After market battery's tend to run a little higher in voltage and i don't recommend using them unless bought from a reliable source (brick and mortar, been in business for a million years, know what there talking about kind of store).

if the camera powers up then there is nothing wrong with it - Throw the battery away and move on
(just seen you can take it back so do that instead)

View My Flickr (external link)

alann
Goldmember
2,689 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 15, 2011 21:38 |  #15

This is why I will never use anything other than the Canon battery!

My FLickrPage (external link)

sponsored links

1,306 views & 0 likes for this thread
OK, I'm scared!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.