Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 15 Jul 2011 (Friday) 08:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Selling on Craigslist Question

Mr. ­ Blue
365 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 15, 2011 08:25 |  #1

So I am selling a camera on Craigslist and had someone email me, asking if the camera is still avalible. After telling the 'buyer' that it is still avalibe, I get this email back in response:

thanks for your mail.i am sure i am not the only person that is
interested in the item.i will be buying it for my only child studying
in abroad and i will offer you $170 for the shipment and postage of
the package.so do get back to me with your PayPal account so that i
can make the payment for the item asap.if you dont have a paypal
account,kindly visit www.paypal.com (external link) to set up and account and start
sending and receiving money through it .it is very fast reliable and
secured.i will wait for your reply.
regards

Seems mildly suspicious...do I have anything to worry about goving him my PayPal payment info? Once the money is given to me via PayPal, is there anyway I can get scammed?

Gear
flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)
TheWitnessStudios.com (external link)

sponsored links
skooba
105 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 15, 2011 08:29 |  #2

don't do it, it's a scam. either sell it on here or meet up locally in a public place (police station is ideal, if buyer won't meet there then you shouldn't be doing the deal anyways).

r34p3rex
192 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 15, 2011 08:32 |  #3

The second someone offers you paypal on a Craigslist listing.. it's a scam

Gripped 5DII | 24-105 f/4L | 70-200 f/2.8L | Sigma 180mm f/3.5 Macro | 430EX II
AB800 | YN-602RF | Vagabond Mini
My Feedback (on other sites): Overclock.net (external link) | Pbnation (external link)

moose10101
registered smartass
1,745 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Jul 15, 2011 09:07 |  #4

Mr. Blue wrote in post #12762365 (external link)
i am sure i am not the only person that is interested in the item.

Note that they said "item", not "camera". This is just boilerplate text used by scammers.

i will be buying it for my only child studying
in abroad

Right, let me guess: Nigeria?

and i will offer you $170 for the shipment and postage of
the package.

How much above your asking price is their offer?

so do get back to me with your PayPal account so that i
can make the payment for the item asap.

They'll send you a faked PayPal email telling you that your money will be released after you ship.

Mr. ­ Blue
THREAD ­ STARTER
365 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 15, 2011 09:40 |  #5

moose10101 wrote in post #12762539 (external link)
Note that they said "item", not "camera". This is just boilerplate text used by scammers.

Right, let me guess: Nigeria?

How much above your asking price is their offer?

They'll send you a faked PayPal email telling you that your money will be released after you ship.

They didn't say where. Same price as I'm asking.

I sent an email basically saying local or gtfo. :)

Gear

smacatl
Goldmember
1,561 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 15, 2011 09:44 |  #6

^^^ What Moose said +1

Craigslist is designed as a cash marketplace - don't accept Credit cards, PayPal, Money Orders, Western Union, Escrow, Bank Transfers, IOU's, or anything else but good old genuine American Cash Dollars.

Don't waste your time communicating with anyone who doesn't understand this concept.

Good luck with your sale

Smacatl
Premier Member of the OGUS Photo Club (Over-Geared, Under-Skilled) (with Credit to our President & Founder JWCDDS)
Gear List

tommibear202
186 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 15, 2011 09:59 as a reply to  @ smacatl's post |  #7

scam.

Mistabernie
'Camera Unicorn McSparkles'..
2,744 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 15, 2011 10:09 |  #8

This is why I usually put something like this in my ads on Craigslist --

No shipping -- cash only. If the listing is up, 'the item' is still available. When you email, put <Something related to sale-BOS> in the title so I know that you're actually interested. If you fail to do this, I WILL NOT respond to your email, and you will miss out on the item.

But yeah, on top of the scam, they probably collect email addresses too, so get ready for more spam

Donate if you love POTN! | Smugmug (external link) | Gear List & POTN Marketplace Feedback
Feel free to call me Bernie.
LIVING PROOF WHY YOU DON'T MENTION THE TITLE FAIRY...

Mr. ­ Blue
THREAD ­ STARTER
365 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 15, 2011 10:13 |  #9

Mistabernie wrote in post #12762821 (external link)
But yeah, on top of the scam, they probably collect email addresses too, so get ready for more spam

Not a problem. I have a separate email address I use for stuff like this.

Gear

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,337 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 15, 2011 10:14 |  #10

Craigslist is the epitome of SPAMMER CENTRAL these days. It's in dire need of a user rating system like eBay.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 15, 2011 10:16 |  #11

Classic Craigslist scam. I've gotten to where I don't even respond to inquiries that say only "Is it still available?".

Once I listed a car and got one of these e-mails 11 minutes after I posted the ad. That was too funny, so to amuse myself I did respond... "No, I'm sorry, in the 11 minutes between when I posted the ad and you responded a buyer came buy, test drove the car, arranged financing, and left. The car is no longer for sale."

They never responded back. :lol:

Mistabernie wrote in post #12762821 (external link)
This is why I usually put something like this in my ads on Craigslist --

No shipping -- cash only. If the listing is up, 'the item' is still available. When you email, put <Something related to sale-BOS> in the title so I know that you're actually interested. If you fail to do this, I WILL NOT respond to your email, and you will miss out on the item.

I like that. I already do the e-mail title instructions.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 15, 2011 11:00 |  #12

not this one again. it's a scam, if you've got the time you could taunt them.

douflag
424 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 15, 2011 11:17 |  #13

Definitely scam. I've gotten some responses to my CL ads, where the buyer would email from 2 different addresses. Lately, some guy has been asking me to ship something to his son abroad.

What you could do is hide the email, and use your phone number. People will need to text/call you in order to buy your item. That will definitely help cut down scammers (not burglers/thieves). Post your number like this:

7-7-3 8-9-0 1-2-3-4

Basically, you want to separate it because you want to prevent any spam calls (programs sniff for numbers on the web). Additionally, it's a way to test the IQ of the person to whom you're selling.

FS: Nothing for now.

r34p3rex
192 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 15, 2011 14:06 |  #14

Sometimes I like to have a little fun with scammers. Some scammers will mail you a fake cashier's check and tell you to cash it. Thing is, the check will bounce after a few days (after you shipped it out) and you'll be out your money AND your item.

I convinced this one guy to UPS Next Day Early AM (VERY EXPENSIVE) me his check to an address I pulled off Family Guy.

Peter Griffin
31 Spooner St.
Quahog, RI 02901

The next day, he asked if I received it and I told him no and to send me another one. He told me, OK NO PROBLEM I SEND YOU ANOTHER ONE. Anyone that goes "OK NO PROBLEM" after "losing" a $4000 cashier's check is bound to be a scammer. I ended up costing this guy ~$100 in UPS fees :D My little tribute to boost our economy :)

Gripped 5DII | 24-105 f/4L | 70-200 f/2.8L | Sigma 180mm f/3.5 Macro | 430EX II
AB800 | YN-602RF | Vagabond Mini
My Feedback (on other sites): Overclock.net (external link) | Pbnation (external link)

douflag
424 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 15, 2011 14:19 |  #15

r34p3rex wrote in post #12764072 (external link)
Sometimes I like to have a little fun with scammers. Some scammers will mail you a fake cashier's check and tell you to cash it. Thing is, the check will bounce after a few days (after you shipped it out) and you'll be out your money AND your item.

I convinced this one guy to UPS Next Day Early AM (VERY EXPENSIVE) me his check to an address I pulled off Family Guy.

Peter Griffin
31 Spooner St.
Quahog, RI 02901

The next day, he asked if I received it and I told him no and to send me another one. He told me, OK NO PROBLEM I SEND YOU ANOTHER ONE. Anyone that goes "OK NO PROBLEM" after "losing" a $4000 cashier's check is bound to be a scammer. I ended up costing this guy ~$100 in UPS fees :D My little tribute to boost our economy :)

Two wrongs don't make it Oooooo right! Still funny though, hahah. I feel bad for this Griffin guy who's getting these fake checks.

FS: Nothing for now.

sponsored links

2,140 views & 0 likes for this thread
Selling on Craigslist Question
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.