Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 17 Jul 2011 (Sunday) 18:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Jeff's sports image (HS senior)

dsmPhotoCompany
Goldmember
2,339 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 17, 2011 18:44 |  #1

Einsteins w/medium softboxes on either side and behind - feathered forward.

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6123/5947962711_d7a823e074_b.jpg

www.dsmphotocompany.co​m (external link) · dsmPC Facebook (external link) · www.iclickphotography.​com (external link) · iClick Facebook (external link)
SuperShoots (external link) · ModelMayhem (external link) · Flickr (external link) · ∞500px (external link)

sponsored links
maderik
26 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 17, 2011 19:06 |  #2

It's a very strong concept - makes you not want to be on the other side of the line of scrimmage from him. I think I'd like it better if his face was just a touch lighter as on my monitor you cannot quite distinguish his features. I could show you want I mean if you'd like.

--
Erik
http://www.pbase.com/m​aderik (external link)

dsmPhotoCompany
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,339 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 17, 2011 22:31 |  #3

Main light was a socked beauty dish...deliberately turned off so the viewer could not identify with the subject.

www.dsmphotocompany.co​m (external link) · dsmPC Facebook (external link) · www.iclickphotography.​com (external link) · iClick Facebook (external link)
SuperShoots (external link) · ModelMayhem (external link) · Flickr (external link) · ∞500px (external link)

ConverseMan
766 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 18, 2011 00:31 |  #4

Dang good job :) I would make it level though. ;) I think that would help it imho

Nathan W.
Nikon D700 | Nikon 50mm 1.8 | Nikon 85mm 1.8 | AlienBees
Flickr (external link)

aemravan
Goldmember
1,622 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 18, 2011 00:34 |  #5

i love it, having the highlights on the nose gives enough definition to tell that there is a fierce face there hiding in the darkness. nicely executed, any other shots?

Canon 5Diii - Canon 24-70 2.8L - Canon 100 2.8L Macro - Sigma 50 1.4

dsmPhotoCompany
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,339 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 18, 2011 17:56 |  #6

Yes, plenty more. Won't have more until after their premier.

BTW...here is the setup for this image. As noted previously, the main light was turned off in this image.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i257.photobucke​t.com …0Setup/JeffP-7726_web.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

And the SOOC.

The editing was extremely light - may seem like a lot but it wasn't. Used our normal contrasty b/w conversion in LR plus a re-crop. No work needed to the backdrop (the darker backdrop is a result of the contrasty b/w conversion - all done in LR3) as we kept the lights far enough away and the back lights feathered forward.

Amped the exposure some along with the blacks. In PS I quickly fixed a couple skin areas, a very light skin smoothing layer, sharpening and very light dodge/burn. I didn't need much d/b as we painted him well with light SOOC.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i257.photobucke​t.com …hing/JeffP-7772_web-2.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

arjay702
436 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 18, 2011 20:59 |  #7

I love the first image,extremely intimidating. I'm sure he likes it that way.

“Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.”
Dr. Seuss
If anyone is looking for someone to give away free gear, look no further :)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,539 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 18, 2011 21:02 |  #8

I like the original image. Would like to see a little bit stronger catch lights in the eyes...but that's pretty minor.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

dsmPhotoCompany
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,339 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 18, 2011 23:01 |  #9

Snydremark wrote in post #12782346 (external link)
I like the original image. Would like to see a little bit stronger catch lights in the eyes...but that's pretty minor.

No front light = no catchlights. :)

JTW_Jr
549 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 19, 2011 00:58 |  #10

I like it , we did similar lighting with my sons sr shots as he too wanted that mystery look , you nailed it way better than I did. Great work.

Canon 60D ,50 F1.8 , 17-85 , 55-250, 24-105 , Sigma 70-200

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,539 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 19, 2011 01:11 |  #11

dsmPhotoCompany wrote in post #12783146 (external link)
No front light = no catchlights. :)

There are two, relatively distinct lights reflecting in his eyes there. I don't know what other term to use for lights being picked up in the eyes, but that's what I'm referring to.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

sponsored links

1,830 views & 0 likes for this thread
Jeff's sports image (HS senior)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.