Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 15 Jul 2011 (Friday) 13:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Jule and a Subaru in the studio semi nws

Peter ­ Fraser
128 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 15, 2011 21:05 |  #16
bannedPermanent ban

Do you have a pic of the car without the chick in it? I don't really like pics where the chick is hiding some of the car.

Now with added bokeh. (Good lenses are irrelevant, apparently. Just add bokeh and textures in post. It's the in thing.)

sponsored links
tristinGrind
531 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 15, 2011 21:31 |  #17

Love the shot man, and I appreciate you throwing up a setup. Thanks for sharing!

-- Tristin
FB: +12/-0

BoneJj
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 15, 2011 22:38 |  #18

excellent image sigma pi, really like that lighting in general.

Question though on the octa, what size is that, kid of hard to get a good reference in the image. I'm thinking mid-high 30s? If so I'm rather impressed with such a small modifier giving such great light all around the leading edge of the car there, or was there a lot of post work on this? I see the other 2 at least modifiers in there going to the ceiling but The main work is being done by the octa there. I'm curious to see a before processing shot that shows what was taken out of the image. If that's possible to see that it would be really cool.

again, great work. Hope you are having a great weekend.

--Bone | FSS (external link) | flickr (external link) | Gear list (external link) |

tristinGrind
531 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 15, 2011 22:41 |  #19

BoneJj wrote in post #12766447 (external link)
I'm curious to see a before processing shot that shows what was taken out of the image. If that's possible to see that it would be really cool.

+1 on the SOOC.

-- Tristin
FB: +12/-0

sigma ­ pi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 16, 2011 02:33 |  #20

Peter Fraser wrote in post #12766008 (external link)
Do you have a pic of the car without the chick in it? I don't really like pics where the chick is hiding some of the car.

Yes sir

http://www.flickr.com …in/set-72157626747661945/ (external link)

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3245/5792858596_fa11bc171a_b.jpg

tristinGrind wrote in post #12766138 (external link)
Love the shot man, and I appreciate you throwing up a setup. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks :D No problem, it is a different kind of car picture that is normally posted. Thought that would help show how to get those results. Glad to.

BoneJj wrote in post #12766447 (external link)
excellent image sigma pi, really like that lighting in general.

Question though on the octa, what size is that, kid of hard to get a good reference in the image. I'm thinking mid-high 30s? If so I'm rather impressed with such a small modifier giving such great light all around the leading edge of the car there, or was there a lot of post work on this? I see the other 2 at least modifiers in there going to the ceiling but The main work is being done by the octa there. I'm curious to see a before processing shot that shows what was taken out of the image. If that's possible to see that it would be really cool.

again, great work. Hope you are having a great weekend.

Thanks. It took a while to get it right. It is the elinchrom Deep octa 39" across the front.
There are actually 6 strobes on this shot.
1 Deep octa 500ws
1 Beauty dish with grid 500ws
2 pointing up to the huge flat each at 500ws reflectors
2 pointing to the back. each at 400ws reflectors

I probably needed another 2-3 strobes. I could not blow out the BG. I had to light it ass backwards. I had the flat lights and the BG lights on full blast. I had to adjust the main and rim accordingly.

Unfortunately I suck at post to be 100% honest. The car there were some problem spots with the head lights and a few small clones to take some of the dings out. I did not repaint the car in post. There is some post on the model though. 99.9 of post it seems was on the BG. I had to pixel peep because this is going to be a poster (later going to be an advertisement).

Sure give me a little bit. I just got back from racing my RC car :lol: so sorry for the late response.

tristinGrind wrote in post #12766463 (external link)
+1 on the SOOC.

But the deal is no model she would beat me up :lol:

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

BoneJj
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 16, 2011 02:44 |  #21

wow, didn't realize there were that many strobes in there....

I'd really love to do a shoot like this one day and not have to make it a multiple exposure/compiled image.

One day I will have a nice amount of strobes.... right now I would love to have another einstein.....

Right now I only have one einstein, one 430ex II and one Vivitar 283, and damn that 283 pisses me off at time. recycle on it takes forever.... It can take up to 14seconds to go to full power...... I try not to use it....

as for the SOOC, why not just black the model out of the first one you posted? that way it's all good, I'm a little more interested in the rest as it is for that particular shot.

--Bone | FSS (external link) | flickr (external link) | Gear list (external link) |

sigma ­ pi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 16, 2011 03:05 |  #22

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6121/5942544422_4028777cc3_b.jpg

you can see the huge blown out highlight in the headlight. It is much easier for me to get it right in camera and have the placement right on the light. You can see her leg blocks the highlight in the one she is in. :)

The other thing is the highlight on the hood. I took that out too. Other than that you can see its just minor cleaning up of the car nothing really big.

BoneJj
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 16, 2011 03:07 |  #23

that's pretty decent in general right there as a SOOC shot. you definitely worked on getting it right in camera that's for sure. I know it must of been a royal pain to get everything to line up and reflect right and all....

sigma ­ pi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 16, 2011 03:14 |  #24

BoneJj wrote in post #12767280 (external link)
wow, didn't realize there were that many strobes in there....

I'd really love to do a shoot like this one day and not have to make it a multiple exposure/compiled image.

One day I will have a nice amount of strobes.... right now I would love to have another einstein.....

Right now I only have one einstein, one 430ex II and one Vivitar 283, and damn that 283 pisses me off at time. recycle on it takes forever.... It can take up to 14seconds to go to full power...... I try not to use it....

as for the SOOC, why not just black the model out of the first one you posted? that way it's all good, I'm a little more interested in the rest as it is for that particular shot.

I am not good at PS. I wish I was better than I am. I cant compile them really well. They look pretty fake when i do it.
I did not own this many strobes at the time. I borrowed and begged. I only had 2 at the time. One of my assistants tripped over the chord and broke one. So I bought one right off the bat and bought another one a little while ago. So now I have 4.
At this shoot they were going to roll out the hot lights and these things were HUGE. I did not want to mix the temps so I went it under powered on the BG as you can see.

I cant stand the recycle time on my speedlight. I do use them for hair lights though in a pinch. They do a great job then because they are usually on a low power setting. :D At car shows they are good. I dont like lugging around strobes hehe.

Honestly the car looks the same in all of them. I can post it up later on in a day or two if you still want it.

Zigot
601 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 17, 2011 14:42 |  #25

I would buy the car if the model is included... ;)
Excellent shot and I love your setup.

7D, 5Dii, 5Diii, 70-300L, 24-105L 70-200Lii, 135L, 85, Tammy 150-600, 430EXii, 550EX, 580EXii, Σ50, Σ105 Macro, Σ150 Macro, ΣEM-140, Σ1.4x, LensBaby 3G, White lightnings, Bowens. Gear - feedbacks

sigma ­ pi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 17, 2011 18:19 |  #26

Zigot wrote in post #12773967 (external link)
I would buy the car if the model is included... ;)
Excellent shot and I love your setup.

I'd buy two in case one was at work :lol:
She is a smart girl. She is going to law school.

keny
771 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 17, 2011 18:42 |  #27

damn dude this is some really nice set up right there the picture is as great!

“Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.”
Body: 5D markII
Lens: 50mm f/1.8 Nifty Fifty!
Light: 5 in 1 Reflector countable, for the moment?:rolleyes:

Pixel-Mania Photography© - 500px (external link), FaceBook (external link)

sigma ­ pi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 17, 2011 22:07 |  #28

keny wrote in post #12775072 (external link)
damn dude this is some really nice set up right there the picture is as great!

Thanks

Yeah the set up is great. I think I would give the edge to the place. Here is the deciding factor. On the left you will see what I plugged my strobes into. It was 220V so recycle time was fast. That was nice because everything except the lighting on the model was at full pop. There was a mountain of appleboxes. The stands, well they speak for themselves
http://www.flickr.com …in/set-72157625643033726/ (external link)

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5136/5506326683_c56748ffd5_b.jpg

tudragan
318 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 17, 2011 22:11 |  #29

wow, great shot. the Subby looks mean as hell too

_Jonathan

Gear List
Jonathandinh.wordpress​.com <- check out my new blog

sigma ­ pi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 17, 2011 22:21 |  #30

tudragan wrote in post #12776163 (external link)
wow, great shot. the Subby looks mean as hell too

Thanks Jonathan!

sponsored links

6,514 views & 0 likes for this thread
Jule and a Subaru in the studio semi nws
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.