Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
Thread started 17 Jul 2011 (Sunday) 17:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How does one get Bokeh like this?

jough
266 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 17, 2011 17:29 |  #1

And perhaps a better question is where does one find models so beautiful?

http://photocamel.com …-week-july-17-2011-a.html (external link)

But really, is most of the magic in this image in the lens or the camera?

sponsored links
LEoVaMPiRe
413 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 17, 2011 18:12 |  #2

1) Get a fast lens (F/2.8, 1.8 or 1.4)
2) Get Flashes
3) Get Pocket Wizard
4) Find a stylish beautiful model

Alaa Marzouk
Gear List
: 5D MK-III / 6D / Canon 135L / / Σ 50mm 1.4 ART / Σ 35mm 1.4 ART / Canon 17-40mm f/4L / Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II /
Facebook https://www.facebook.c​om/alaa.marzouk (external link)https://www.facebook.c​om …otography/20735​6589307848 (external link)

Big ­ K
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 17, 2011 21:58 |  #3

jough wrote in post #12774736 (external link)
But really, is most of the magic in this image in the lens or the camera?

Most of it is the photographer knowing how to set up and execute the shot. Besides that, lens is far more a contributor to the effect than the camera.

Name: Kevin
Follow my daily work at www.ks-images.com (external link) and feel free to C&C anything I post.
Gear List
More money than skill - but I'm working on it

tudragan
318 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 17, 2011 22:12 |  #4

i feel like some of the bokeh was probably smoothened out with lightroom or photoshop

_Jonathan

Gear List
Jonathandinh.wordpress​.com <- check out my new blog

charro ­ callado
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 17, 2011 22:12 |  #5

I can't tell if strobes were used or just two big white reflectors.

regardless, the bokeh magic comes from the lens. if strobes were used, it was a lens with a hefty ND filter (.9, perhaps) attached.

the "rest" of the image magic comes from well executed lighting on a gorgeous model.

in order of importance, for me:

1. light/modifiers

2. lens

3-9. [other stuff]

10. camera body

LisaJH
Goldmember
1,887 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 17, 2011 22:53 |  #6

Nice portrait lens (the longer the better), physical separation of your subject from the background (the more distance the better), and shoot at a nice, wide aperture. YOUR distance to the subject will also play into things...the closer you are, the shallower the depth of field, the creamier the background will be. Not quite sure what a fast lens or lights & modifiers have to do with this. This look can be achieved with natural light.

70-200L shot wide open (field with yellow flowers in the background). Natural light with a white reflector...

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3037/5766848148_4547308108_o.jpg

~Mom of 11 and Professional Photographer~
5DIV | 5DIII | 5DII | 40D | 400L | 200L | 70-200L II | 85L | 50 1.0L | 50 1.2L | Sigma 50mm Art Lens | 16-35L II | TS-E 90 | 100 Macro | Random Lensbaby & OCF Gear
Website (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link) | 500px (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Flickr (external link)

gibbit1
Goldmember
1,658 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 18, 2011 06:27 |  #7

As usual, Lisa, wonderful pictures and insightful comments.

OP: Try this experiment and you'll learn how this is done.

Find a willing subject (or at least a cooperative one).
Put your longest lens on the camera (a 70-200 or 70-300 will do nicely) and use the longest focal length.
Place your subject about 20 feet from a nice background (trees or flowers).
Stand about 30 feet or so from your subject. Focus the camera on your subject and look at the bokeh in the background. Now, start walking toward your subject, re-focusing (or using AF in AI Servo Mode) on your subject as you go, and see what happens to the bokeh. You'll notice it getting smoother and smoother as you walk towards your subject.

Now, back up to your original spot, and have your subject start walking towards you, again keeping the focus on them. You should again see the bokeh getting nicer and smoother as he/she walks toward you.

That's all there is to it. The closer you are to your subject, the nicer the background will look. The more distance between your subject and the background, the nicer the background will look. And lastly, the longer the focal length of your lens, the nicer (generally) the background will be. Aperture plays a part as well, but as Lisa says, it's not critical to have a fast lens. The wider your aperture, the less separation you need from the background. So, with a 85mm f/1.2 you can have your subject closer to the background than, say, using a 70-300mm f/4-5.6 lens set at the same focal length.

Of course, some lenses are known for their attractive bokeh. The 85mm f/1.2 L for example (yes, Lisa. I'm jealous) is known for its very nice, smooth blurring of the background, whereas the 70-300mm f/4-5.6 is not. Get close enough to your subject, and get them far enough away from the background, though, and even the cheap 70-300mm will give you nice bokeh. The better lens just makes it much easier to achieve.

Hope this helps.

"Everything will be alright. I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
Gear: EOS 5DMKII; EOS 400D (infrared converted); Canon 24-105mm f/4 L; Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4 EX; Canon 70-200mm f/4 L; Canon 135mm f/2.0 L; Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 with EOS adaptor, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8; only enough knowledge to be a clear and present danger to society.
flickr (external link)

SeanH
Goldmember
2,055 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 18, 2011 09:44 as a reply to  @ gibbit1's post |  #8

Full Frame......period.

7D ......waiting on the 5D3
10-22, 17-40 4.0 L, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L, 2 X 580EX's

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,721 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 18, 2011 17:01 |  #9

SeanH wrote in post #12778447 (external link)
Full Frame......period.

I dont thinks that necessary. That background isnt impossible or even hard to get on a crop. Here are two shots I feel are equally smooth in the bokeh and are on a crop. One was a T1i and the other a 7D.

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5319/5913130447_12449846ed_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6028/5901164232_e85fa0cfd6_b.jpg

Shane
flickr (external link)

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 18, 2011 21:19 |  #10

A lot of bokek, background blur, is having a large distance from your subject to the next object visible in the image behind the subject. Depending on the situation, you can shoot f/8 and have great bokeh if there is nothing behind your subject for a good distance.

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 18, 2011 21:21 |  #11

To get bokeh you have to go brokeh.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,905 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 18, 2011 21:29 |  #12

Depends on the bg also. If smooth to begin with then you don't need much distance between the subjet and bg. Here is one from last evening. 70-200mm f2.8 IS II @f2.8. BG was only like 5-6 feet away at closest point.

IMAGE: http://www.bobbyzphotography.com/img/v24/p898028601-5.jpg

Thing with artifical light is you can easliy make that bg darker or lighter compared to the subject. Hard or impossible to do so with natural light and relector IMHO. But since OP asked about smoother bg, light type doesn't matter.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

juiceman72
65 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 18, 2011 22:04 |  #13

One thing to note about camera-to-subject distance vs focal length is, assuming you keep the subject framed at the same size, the two pretty much cancel each other out keeping the depth of field constant.

At least when shooting at portrait distances, and I say pretty much, because mathmatically there is a difference but the difference is so small you'll likely not notice it. The difference grows dramatically as you go to longer camera-to-subject distances.

So in plain english, if you have a set framing for your portrait subject, the only thing that will change your depth of field is the aperature setting. And the only things that will affect the bokeh are the aperature and subject-to-background distance.

Justin

dwterry
572 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jul 18, 2011 22:21 |  #14

I prefer "real" bokeh. You can tell the bokeh in the original image is being faked because the top of the hat and the inside of the hat show much greater Depth of Field than is suggested by the difference in sharpness between her eye lashes and her eyebrows and also her lips. (the latter make it appear as if the DOF is razor thin, but the hat betrays the editing)

Weddings, Portraits, Seniors, Models
http://www.dterryphoto​graphy.com (external link)
http://blog.dterryphot​ography.com (external link)

windpig
Chopped liver
14,992 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 18, 2011 22:22 |  #15

Go 3/4 of the way down on this link to see a comparison of long and short focal length background blur.
http://www.the-digital-picture.com …SM-Macro-Lens-Review.aspx (external link)

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

sponsored links

9,621 views & 0 likes for this thread
How does one get Bokeh like this?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.