Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 10 Jul 2011 (Sunday) 09:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Auto ISO...

mav496
194 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 10, 2011 09:44 |  #1

Have just received my new 5DMkii and have only taken a few shots with it, but in love with it already! (Will post some shots up soon!)

One of my questions is.... Whilst hoping to do some more weddings in the near future, do any of you use the 5D's "Auto ISO" setting, or do you manually select the ISO depending on the shots?

Still getting to grips with advancing to such a great camera, so any help would be appreciated, as always!

Mav

My Gear... 5DMK2 Gripped, 400D Gripped, 24-105mmL, 100mmL 2.8 Macro, 10-20mm, 100-400mmL, 28-105USM, 50mm 1.8, 580EXII
Bowens Gemini 400 Studio Lights & Bowens umbrellas and Softboxes....

sponsored links
nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,727 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 10, 2011 11:46 |  #2

I don't use Auto ISO. Just used to shooting without it.

NYC Wedding Photographer (external link) | Blog (external link) | facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Gear

siddr20
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 10, 2011 18:58 |  #3

I manually select the ISO depending on where I am and how much light is around.
I also always shoot in manual mode.

Practice and have fun :)

www.sidd-rishi.com.au (external link)http://www.sidd-rishi.com.au (external link)

mav496
THREAD ­ STARTER
194 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 11, 2011 01:31 |  #4

bnlearle wrote in post #12735144 (external link)
All auto ISO ever did with me was always shoot at ISO400.

5DII is awesome! Just shoot a ton with it and you'll be there in no time :D

San Diego Wedding Photographer (blog) (external link)
Twitter (external link) -- Facebook (external link)
the Raddest Photo Trip Ever!!! (external link)

Come on the next one Dec 1st-14th 2011!!!!!

Thanks Bobby! You work inspires me, but I have a LONG way to go!! I absolutely LOVE the 5DMK2! Its worth having no more money for this baby! Thanks again for your comments...

My Gear... 5DMK2 Gripped, 400D Gripped, 24-105mmL, 100mmL 2.8 Macro, 10-20mm, 100-400mmL, 28-105USM, 50mm 1.8, 580EXII
Bowens Gemini 400 Studio Lights & Bowens umbrellas and Softboxes....

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,394 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 13, 2011 15:14 |  #5

Never shot with auto ISO.. What the heck does that do;)

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,935 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 14, 2011 02:08 |  #6

I tried auto iso on my camera, but I found just like any auto mode the exposure between shots varied a lot and meant I needed to process each image. Shooting full manual means you can batch process which is much faster.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Daedalus34r
477 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 14, 2011 09:04 |  #7

you should manually adjust iso for the situation at hand. The shutter speed you need and the shutter speed auto-iso will give you will rarely match. Many times you will need a faster shutter, resulting in higher iso.

BODY :: EOS 7D, EOS 50D
GLASS :: 17-55 f/2.8 , 50 f/1.4 , 70-200 f/4L IS, 150 f/2.8 EX Macro , 10-20 f/4-5.6 EX , 30 f/1.4 EX
EXTRAS :: 430EX II , Kata R-103 Bag , Tenba Messenger Bag :: WISH LIST :: 100 f/2
Sigma 150mm f/2.8 Macro Review

dche5390
714 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 14, 2011 20:45 |  #8

When I first started, I needed auto ISO. Now, I can't find the disable feature quick enough!

I remember hating the 5D because it didn't have auto ISO. Oh how things have changed.

Sydney Wedding Photography (external link) | High resolution images delivered in 30 days

Newcastle ­ Photographer
109 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 17, 2011 08:07 |  #9

Auto ISO - the best thing ever! ->for the parts I dont use flash. It get turned off when using flash as it selects the lowest available - i manually select double when using flash so the flash and batteries only have to kick out half as much. But for speeches / ceremony where I tend not to use flash its ideal. And you dont hear my constantly fiddling to selct iso. It automatic - its fantastic. Quite shocked to hear most are against it.

Paul Santos Photography (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,029 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 17, 2011 14:18 |  #10

Didn't even know my 5dIIs had that function. :-)
About the only thing I leave up to my camera is metering and shutter speed (sometimes outside).
When I'm inside (reception, etc.) I set the ISO, shutter and F stop. Use the shutter speed to adjust for changing ambient unless it get below hand holdable comfort, then up ISO a stop.

With 5DII high ISO noise performance I am comfortable with anything up to 6400.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Newcastle ­ Photographer
109 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 17, 2011 16:23 |  #11

If your comfortable with anything upto 6400 - so am i - then thats pretty much everything so why waste time selecting. Also, shutter speeds - you should be able to select the slowest shutter speed allowed when using auto ISO. Mine is set to an 80th of a second. I say you should be able to do that as I use Nikon (indeed) and thats what i do with mine. (i know its a canon forum but the chat is good here). When using flash in auto itwill select iso 200 - i will turn auto iso off and select higher like 800 (still no noise) so the flash and batteries only have to do a quarter of the job. Have a good play about with it - shoot outdoors then indoors and not have to worry about forgetting to up your iso. Its not right for all eventualities but for the ones it is it works great.

Al ­ Rohrer
85 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 18, 2011 09:39 |  #12

Only time I've used Auto ISO on my 5D MkII was at my 45th High School Reunion. Light was adequate but varied according to where you were in the room. Since I was shooting for my personal use and didn't want to worry about camera settings, I tried the Auto ISO setting and was very pleasantly surprised by the results. I'm looking forward to using it more in the future.

Canon Shooter and PSCS5 on a PC.

Newcastle ­ Photographer
109 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 18, 2011 10:54 |  #13

Al Rohner - nice one!

:-)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,295 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 19, 2011 08:54 |  #14

Al Rohrer wrote in post #12778421 (external link)
Only time I've used Auto ISO on my 5D MkII was at my 45th High School Reunion. Light was adequate but varied according to where you were in the room. Since I was shooting for my personal use and didn't want to worry about camera settings, I tried the Auto ISO setting and was very pleasantly surprised by the results. I'm looking forward to using it more in the future.

Have to agree here. I didnt know about it either until a very respected sports photographer told me about it and specifically how he uses it in his work flow. Im blown away with how it works in TV mode and im applying the techniques to our wedding photography work. IT WORKS.

Look , we all know what shutter speed we need to freeze action 99% of the time. We know that we dont want to handhold below 1/60 and we know flash is going to freeze motion so anything over 1/320 will likely not have motion blur. Auto iso takes a lot of problems out of the equation. In TV mode, you set the shutter speed at 1/320 (just an example),, the camera is going to set aperature. Auto iso allows the camera, who is a hell of a lot smarter than i am, to get the correct settings and coordinate with that flash, especially with ETTL flash operations.

I think you guys should give it a try and be as pleasently surprised as some others are finding out. Its a great tool to use once you understand what it can do for you. I frequestly set up our 2nds camera this way with the 135L attached during a ceremony. I know i need a shutter speed of 1/160 to get good results with the 135L. TV mode at 1/160, auto iso during a ceremony with no flash gets us great results especially if we have changing lighting, which is very common in churches and outdoor vents. Even better results when we can attach a flash. Its a good tool to use.

Get Syl Arenas' book-- speedlighters handbook. It will open your eyes. I was a 100% manual shooter who has completely changed my thoughts about the way we will cover events since reading this book.

Auto iso is a good thing but not a 100% problem solver. It is a great tool. I love it. If you have a camera that does this, you should learn how to use it.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

2,646 views & 0 likes for this thread
Auto ISO...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.