Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Jun 2011 (Wednesday) 05:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Walkthrough: Install gphoto2 (read shutter count T2i, 7D, etc) on Linux LiveCD or USB

oldvultureface
Goldmember
4,258 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 23, 2011 08:18 |  #16

MOkoFOko wrote in post #12643862 (external link)
I really hope that wasn't a recently acquired refurb :D 7k is kind of high.

Nope. Purchased new 'bout a year and a half ago. Have two other bodies so the 7D doesn't see all the action. :)

sponsored links
Mr ­ B ­ Pix
492 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 23, 2011 08:50 |  #17

Maybe I am missing something, but I assume at some point you need to download something (gPhoto2) from HERE (external link) and put it on the USB drive?

My Gear

oldvultureface
Goldmember
4,258 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 23, 2011 09:21 |  #18

Mr B Pix wrote in post #12644189 (external link)
Maybe I am missing something, but I assume at some point you need to download something (gPhoto2) from HERE (external link) and put it on the USB drive?

What you're doing is downloading an entire operating system in the form of an optical CD image. That image is then burned to an optical CD from which you can boot the operating system from your CD drive (not familiar with booting from USB; my computers are too old). With that system running, you use the system's package manager (yum) to download and install gphoto2. I followed the OP's instructions to a tee and had no problems on my ancient laptop. You need to get Fedora running either from CD or USB and then use its installer (yum) to download and install gphoto2.

Sidd ­ Finch
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 25, 2011 12:27 |  #19

Awesome, thanks for the tutorial! Ran this on the refurb 7D I just received; the shutter count was 59.

riokid
31 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 05, 2011 19:30 |  #20

Very informative.

Thank you for posting :)

dan

Mostly Canon stuff

Prototype
59 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 07, 2011 00:00 |  #21

ppmax wrote in post #12641742 (external link)
I use gphoto2 on OSX by way of Homebrew (a package manager). Easy like Sunday morning!

http://www.twam.info …s-7d-shuttercount-on-os-x (external link)

I used this method and worked like a charm for all of you OS X users!

51 clicks on my refurb 7D I just received.

jamganz
Goldmember
3,256 posts
Gallery: 139 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 13, 2011 19:26 |  #22

Thank you for this post! I just recently purchased refurbished T2i from the CLP. I followed your instructions and found my shutter count is now 190 . I've only taken 15 photos so far so I received mine with only 175 clicks on the shutter!! With the great price from the CLP and a hot sale on the 55-250 lens, I've picked up my first SLR (which is just about brand new) with 2 lenses for less than $700! Very happy!

MOkoFOko
THREAD ­ STARTER
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 13, 2011 20:23 |  #23

jamganz wrote in post #12754059 (external link)
Thank you for this post! I just recently purchased refurbished T2i from the CLP. I followed your instructions and found my shutter count is now 190 . I've only taken 15 photos so far so I received mine with only 175 clicks on the shutter!! With the great price from the CLP and a hot sale on the 55-250 lens, I've picked up my first SLR (which is just about brand new) with 2 lenses for less than $700! Very happy!

Glad it helped. Welcome to POTN--no more being a lurker :D

My Gearlist

Nordwil57
583 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 16, 2011 07:14 |  #24

I used Fedora and GPhoto2 yesterday to check the shutter count, 100 exactly. (OK, technically, I burned fedora to a CD and when I failed miserably at making it work, I enlisted the help of a Northeastern University co-op engineer in our office to boot it lol....turns out I loaded it correctly, but didn't know what to do with it from there.)

I took 2 quick shots to make sure the number was correct since it was such a round number, but after reconnecting the camera it showed 102, so it's good. Subtract the dozen or so shots I took the first day brings me to 88. Heck, the condition seems so good, and the reputation is so strong for this camera, it didn't really matter where the count was.

BUT I was still curious, and really appreciate the step by step directions that allowed me to get it. Thanks MOkoFOko!

It all seems good so far, but I'll have to give it a better test this weekend.

Rick

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

Ravenscroft
38 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 17, 2011 11:23 as a reply to  @ Nordwil57's post |  #25

Forgive the possibly dumb question, but can gphoto2 get the shutter count from a 1D mark III? I see that it has some support, but I can't seem to get a count from it...

MOkoFOko
THREAD ­ STARTER
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 17, 2011 12:33 |  #26

Ravenscroft wrote in post #12773146 (external link)
Forgive the possibly dumb question, but can gphoto2 get the shutter count from a 1D mark III? I see that it has some support, but I can't seem to get a count from it...

You'd want to use 1dcount instead.

My Gearlist

Ravenscroft
38 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 17, 2011 13:11 |  #27

MOkoFOko wrote in post #12773441 (external link)
You'd want to use 1dcount instead.

I read the 1dcount thread and was under the impression that it didn't work on Mark IIIs - is this not correct?

MOkoFOko
THREAD ­ STARTER
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 17, 2011 19:58 |  #28

Ravenscroft wrote in post #12773610 (external link)
I read the 1dcount thread and was under the impression that it didn't work on Mark IIIs - is this not correct?

Ahh, you're right 1dcount doesn't support past the 1d2n. I can't find the compatibility chart for gphoto2 at the moment, but it looks like the 1d3 is supported. If someone can find that compatibility chart, I'll add it to the first post.

My Gearlist

lar55
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 18, 2011 14:29 |  #29

Gphoto2 (libgphoto2) supported cameras list: http://gphoto.org/proj​/libgphoto2/support.ph​p (external link)

EOS 1d Mark III is on the list, noted as "PTP mode". I think this means the camera supports multiple communication modes, and you might have to use the camera setup menu to select PTP or MTP mode in order to get gphoto2 talking to it.

P.S. Even if your camera isn't on the list, there is a good chance gphoto2 supports it, since most cameras use PTP or MTP protocol. However, not all cameras that can talk to gphoto2 have a readable shutter count variable.

New ­ Explorer
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 22, 2011 16:10 |  #30

Thanks for this great thread! I just received a refurb 7D from the CLP and would like to check shutter count. Unfortunately, when I am in the Fedora Terminal application and enter "yum install gphoto2" I get the following: "Error: cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: fedora please verify ID path and try again."

Any thoughts on what I did wrong and how I can correct it would be much appreciated!

sponsored links

144,406 views & 0 likes for this thread
Walkthrough: Install gphoto2 (read shutter count T2i, 7D, etc) on Linux LiveCD or USB
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.