Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 11 Jul 2011 (Monday) 15:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Linux -any linux users?

mplezia
429 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 16, 2011 17:57 |  #16

minitrucker wrote in post #12769743 (external link)
I wan't to go to Linux as my main OS. I'm aready leaning toward mint. My question is: are there compatibility issues with programs like photoshop or iTunes? As far as PS goes I don't think I'd have any qualms with using GIMP but I'm kind of stuck on iTunes... any thoughts?

Pretty sure iTunes won't work in Linux. It may be possible to get it to work under WINE, but I've never done it, so I can't say for sure. There are open source alternatives like amarok, Rhythm Box, or Banshee.

Canon 60D | Canon 500D | Canon 430EX II | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM 'A' | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6

sponsored links
exwintech
Gone, but not forgotten . . .
551 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 16, 2011 21:02 as a reply to  @ mplezia's post |  #17

You can install (PCLinuxOS) GTKpod from the Repository - along with iPod-sharp, via Synaptic.

GTK interface to iPod
gtkpod is a platform independent GUI for Apple's iPod using GTK2. It allows
you to upload songs and playlists to your iPod. It supports ID3 tag editing,
multiple charsets for ID3 tags, detects duplicate songs, allows offline
modification of the database with later synchronisation, and more.

gtkpod allows you to
* Read your existing iTunesDB (i.e. import the existing contents of
your iPod).
* Add mp3 files to the iPod. You can choose the charset the ID3 tags
are encoded in from within gtkpod. The default is the charset
currently used by your locale setting.
* When adding songs, gtkpod detects duplicates (opt).
* Remove songs from the iPod.
* Create and modify playlists.
* Modify ID3 tags -- changes are also updated in the original file (opt)
* Write the updated iTunesDB and added songs to your iPod.
* Work offline and synchronize your new playlists / songs with the iPod
at a later time.

Library to control the Ipod database
ipod-sharp is a library that allows manipulation of the iTunesDB used
in Apple iPod devices. Currently it supports adding/removing songs
and manipulating playlists.

All quoted from "Description" in the lower panel of Synaptic installer/uninstaller.

Note that in Avidemux (free for Windows or Linux) - you can quickly convert clips to iPod (or PSP) format. Includes iPod, iPod 5.5G, and iPhone.

As an ex Windows technician (12 years of that...) who's been into Linux for about 11 years - I can agree with the "functions doubters" for the first few years of that! Things have improved hugely since about 2005, in the general changeover to almost all GUI (Graphical User Interface) for home PC users. That has accelerated further in the last 3 years or so... There's very little 'needed' from CLI (Command Line Interface) on PCs now - though the CLI is still instantly there for those who like its power and speed.

I do everything - and more - in Linux that friends do in Windows - and that includes RAW post-processing (most friends don't do that), graphics, music, video-editing, home movie and MPEG2 Video DVD creation, and a lot of Windows-related things friends assume I "wouldn't be able to do in Linux".

Most Linux Distros are now very good with hardware recognition - PCLinuxOS is superb - it's years since I've had to "find drivers" for anything. If devices aren't recognised and configured automatically - it's almost always a "quick config" few clicks in Control Centre.

Things such as Audio, Sound Cards, Speakers, are picked-up and "just work", and this system default-installs with drivers and setups for over 200 graphics cards.

I constantly work with things running simultaneously on 3-6 of the current 6 x Desktops I have available - you can have up to 20 - and if I need another Desky or two - just right-click on any Desktop, open 'Configure Desktop' - add some - and remove them just as instantly later.

When I have to use Windows at friends' places - or sort out system problems, do their reinstalls of Windows, so on - I suddenly "feel smothered" - how can anyone do "enough things at once" on just one Desktop - to get all of their work done? :D

Of course - with operating systems, as with cars - and cameras, so on - it's what the user gets used to, is most familiar with, and they like using, is best for them.

But the days when Linux was "limited" at PC level, or difficult to use - are long gone. Young kids use Linux happily - 3-4 years olds with TuxPaint and the many, many, fun and educational interactive things made - and newies all the time - for the youngies - at no cost to parents, can be quite an advantage to families in these tight-budgeting times.

As User Logons are completely separate in Linux, unlike User Profiles - kids can have their own Logons to set up, wallpaper, have all the programs they want, keep tidy - or mess up happily - without affecting the Parents', Family, or other kids', Logons.

One use for that might be - Parents like to have one of them around when younger kids are using the Internet... Fine - you can have a Parents / Family Logon (or separate ones for Mum and Dad, if they like to set-up differently) - and a Logon for each kid. The adults' Logons can have Internet - and none on the kids' ones. So the kids if home before parents - can safely use their Logons sans Internet. There is no way they can access the Logons with Internet without the separate Passwords to those.

There's other ways to control kids' Internet access - Dan's Guardian is one - with passwording limits - or time-access limits.

As Linux is a full simultaneous multi-user system, you can use a basic router to connect other - maybe kids' - PCs. Users at those other PCs can log-into their Logons on the main of family PC at any time, even while somebody is using that PC. So you can have several people logged-into and using that PC at once.

For the last 6 years I've been using PCLOS, I've run Cable Internet probably 15+ hours a day, 7 days a week (I'm on disability) - with cable modem and std hardware firewall router for other boxes - well over 25,000 hours - and I'm still waiting for my first Internet glitch or problem with this O/S... Nothing's perfect - but PCLOS seems to do rather well....

Regards, Dave.

lankforddl
747 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 16, 2011 21:09 as a reply to  @ post 12761296 |  #18

I am a student at the University of Minnesota and they introduced me to Ubuntu. The school promotes and uses it in the IT dept. It's very well supported and the Ubuntu support forum is fantastic for solving configuration issues.

5DIICAN17-40CAN50CAN85CAN100CAN135CAN70-200

jobv2
THREAD ­ STARTER
561 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 16, 2011 22:00 |  #19

thanks exwintech aka dave. in addition to ubuntu which im leaning towards again, ill look into pclos. why did you move to pclos from the distro that you were using before. do you see advantages with pclos? i assume you do since you've been using it for so long now

1D Mark iin, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/4, 580ex ii, android, two left feet
gear| feedback
:cool:

exwintech
551 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 17, 2011 18:27 as a reply to  @ jobv2's post |  #20

JobV2 - I was always a bit doubtful about the 'Bunties - Ubuntu (Gmome Desktop Environment), Kubuntu (KDE Enviro - more usual for home PCs), Edubuntu, so on. It's presented and pushed by the huge Corporation, Canonical (nothing to do with Canon Cameras) - often called "Africa's Microsoft".) Sometimes the motivations are not entirely clear - Corporations do run to make profits - though they don't charge for the PC level versions.

The 'Bunties are based on Debian Linux (that's available as the Debian Distro, too), which is DEB file based. PCLinuxOS - PCLOS - is RPM flie based. RPM is actually Red-Hat Package Manager - Red-Hat is one of the large Commercial Linuxes - Fedora is its associated PC free version.

PCLOS is a split away from the old Mandrake Distro (which in a merge with Conectiva in Brazil, became Mandriva. There are both Commercial and free for PC use versions of Mandriva) - in 2004. PCLOS is run as a completely independent Distro - supported only by the now quite large Forum's Members.

It's based in Texas, USA, and has gone through several versions, improving in user-usability and ease of functions as it's done so.

Some Distros have enormous "Repositories" - that is, stores of programs for download on servers - in which the programs, tools, games, utilities, so on - are not always fully adjusted-configured for that Distro. I found with Kubuntu (the one using the KDE Desktop Enviro) - that not all things in the 'Bunty Repos were "fully tweaked" to suit the Distro.

With PCLOS, from the beginning, ease of use for newer users was always a primary aim. So - EVERY application, program, tool, utility, game, etc - was and still is - fully Configured and Tested for the current version of PCLOS before it goes into the Repository. That goes for each of the 12,700+ items in that Repos.

If you find something on the Internet that's really very good, and others would like it too - just put in a Package Request in that section of the Forum - and usually very shortly after - that program will be in the Repos - properly adjusted and Tested - to run correctly when you install it with Synaptic.

As with any Linux - you "can" install downloads from Internet - and those can cause install and configuration glitches, at times. Install from PCLOS Repos - and you can install multiple items at once - and every item is Tested to run as intended in your current version of PCLOS.

PCLOS is a "rolling update" Distro - no re-installs needed for new versions. Just "Update" your system weekly - or more often - with Synaptic - it's automatic, and doesn't take very long - and you're always running "the latest version".

The Forum is very comprehensive - with areas for folk who have never used Linux before - for those coming from other Distros - for the average experienced users, like me - and of course for the very advanced folk, which I am not, too.

I certainly do "look at other Distros" - I'm running Virtual Box, into which you can install other operating systems, to look at - try-out - test things in, so on. Recently I've had Linuxes - Mint and Kubuntu - and also have Windows 2000 SP4 - and Windows XP - based on the commercial version we were given at a CompTIA A+ Course (no Activation - installs to the CD's 25-code) - updated to SP3. Both are used for downloading trying/testing things for friends - or duplicating 'problems' they're telling me about over the phone... So you can "have your Windows and VBox it, too..."

Of course there are other very good Distros - the Mint mentioned, is one - but just for "a Linux you can live with" - up to 15 hours a day (!) - and feel very comfy with - PCLOS takes a lot of beating... As I said - I'm still looking for one that can....

Any other questions - ask away...

Regards, Dave.

jobv2
THREAD ­ STARTER
561 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 17, 2011 22:36 |  #21

i see no reason to not try pclos.
i will probably install it in a day or two for a test drive but i doubt i have any questions at the moment.

pretty much if i can run photoshop/lightroom for now and have access to usb/wifi i think i'll be fine for now. i'll be doing a test run soon. thanks for the info (dang so many distros, not enough time LMAO)

1D Mark iin, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/4, 580ex ii, android, two left feet
gear| feedback

exwintech
551 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 18, 2011 01:13 as a reply to  @ jobv2's post |  #22

JobV2 - Once you have done your PCLOS install, you can update it to "today, current" via Synaptic.

Check that your Internet connection is running.

Open Synaptic (needs the root-password you put in during the install - in Linux, "root" is "admin") - and at the top left, click the "Reload" button. That updates Synaptic's lists (as it will have on install what was current when the install disk was made, some weeks back) - to be current with what's in the Repository - new programs, updates to existing programs, and updates to the System itself.

After it Reloads, click the "Mark All Upgrades" button beside Reload. In a few seconds, the "Apply" tick will enable. Click that and wait as the Update runs. This first time, it might take several minutes, as the PCLOS Team is constantly adding material, and updating things already installed.

Unlike Windows, an All-Upgrades Update will update all of your installed programs, tools, utilities, and games. It also updates the operating system itself.

See screen-grab for the buttons referred to above.

Welcome to your Linux journey - see you on the Forum - I'm also exwintech there.

Regards, Dave.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

jobv2
THREAD ­ STARTER
561 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 18, 2011 09:07 |  #23

at this stage im leaning towards kde, but is there any major reason one would choose the LXDE flavor over the KDE flavor?

but i hope to take a test run later on

gear| feedback

exwintech
551 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 18, 2011 16:01 as a reply to  @ jobv2's post |  #24

JobV2 - You might go for a "light-duties" enviro like LXDE - or there are several others - if you had an older PC - under 2GHz CPU, under 1GB RAM. However, PCs of recent years handle KDE quite easily and quickly. My current (just about to build a newy!) - PC is a nearly 3 years old AMD 6000 3GHz with 2GB of DDR2 - and I can easily run KDE across 6 Desktops - with things running on each - with that. You can install a good System Monitor called "Gkrellm" to see how your PC hardware is handling the system resources. Can run it on 1 Desktop - or "Across all Desktops" - right-click its icon in the Panel (bar across the bottom of the screen) to select that.

KDE is by far the most widely used Enviro for PCs - as it has the biggest number of "native" tools and utilities PC users like. Example - put any image-file on a Desktop - right-click it - and with Kim (installed for KDE from Synaptic) - and you can instantly Resize it to 6 presets - or Custom - click that, and type-in the size you want. The AR (aspect ratio) is maintained - 3:2, 4:3, 16:9, 1:1 - in any Resizing mode.

You can Compress the image file at 70-80-90% or Custom. Or Convert to JPEG, PNG, GIF or TIFF. You can also do 'WebExport' - good for posting online - at 600 x 450, 800 x 600, and 1024 x 768, at 75%. (You can use the other modes mentioned to resize and Custom compress before doing WebExport if needed.) You can also add Text/Numbers to an image - right-click > Kim > Teatment and Publication > T-Add Text Annotation... Kim does a lot of other things, too - a very useful utility.

With KDE you can install and run DigiKam - a very good midrange RAW post-processing and graphics application. Handles all of the "usual" Canon, Nikon, etc RAWs - and even my Fuji HS10's "orphan" RAF RAWs...

If you like editing your camera's (or any other) video - install KDE's KdenLive - a very good Video Editor (there are several others) - similar in abilities to (friends have it, so I've tried it) Sony's Vegas Pro - but doesn't cost the $600.00+ the friends paid for theirs here in Sydney... Extra Effects, Transitions, Templates, Backgrounds, Title Pages, Material, etc, are free downloads for it.

So, while you certainly don't "have to" use KDE - there are plenty of light to medium duties alternatives - to get "the most and best" things for home PC use, KDE offers the most, in an attractive (use your own camera photos to background all of your Destops - and change them in a few clicks, often) - and easy to use way.

You can install any number of Repos available Desktops you like - install the system with the CD's default KDE - then with Synaptic, install LXDE. To change between, Log Out - and from the Login screen start LXDE. Try it - and return to KDE the same way.

Screeny is the Gkrellm monitor - very little doing this early in the a.m... Just doing my Forums...

Regards, Dave.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

jobv2
THREAD ­ STARTER
561 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 18, 2011 16:14 |  #25

thanks!!

seems like a good plan to go kde. no wait. GREAT plan.

gear| feedback

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,337 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 18, 2011 18:41 |  #26

The Debian arm of Linux is the best I think. Ubuntu is part of that arm and I believe Mint is a smaller version of Ubuntu. If I could get Photoshop CS5 to run under Ubuntu I'd be using it exclusively but since I have to switch back and forth to Windows whenever I need to edit photos, I've set up 2 HDD's to boot an OS. One boots Windows 7 and the other Ubuntu.

As for the driver issue, I have never had a problem with my devices under Ubuntu. They were automatically detected and run rather nicely.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

lar55
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 18, 2011 19:08 |  #27

CameraMan wrote in post #12781446 (external link)
The Debian arm of Linux is the best I think. Ubuntu is part of that arm and I believe Mint is a smaller version of Ubuntu. If I could get Photoshop CS5 to run under Ubuntu I'd be using it exclusively but since I have to switch back and forth to Windows whenever I need to edit photos, I've set up 2 HDD's to boot an OS. One boots Windows 7 and the other Ubuntu.

I assume you have already tried and ruled out using The Gimp for photo editing. It's not everybody's thing, but I like it. (Maybe it has fewer features than Photoshop, but it still has much more than I will ever use, and you can't beat the price.) Linux, LibreOffice (successor to OpenOffice), and The Gimp = happy and all free.

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,337 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 18, 2011 19:30 |  #28

Yah, I have a couple of cool plug ins I bought for Photoshop that I use a lot and they won't work with The Gimp. Gimp is okay as far as converting RAW to JPG or TIF. Maybe even some cropping or color correction if needed. But other than that it's not much use to me.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 18, 2011 19:37 |  #29

The GIMP is very capable and many of the real limitations they are working on can be worked around, e.g. by installing G'IMC which gives you better LAB colorspace editing and a bunch of other stuff otherwise lousy. The amount of useful and powerful plugins you get from a good distribution (I use Debian and FreeBSD) is mind-blowing. The number of easy to use plugins - well :)

If you want iTunes you are screwed but then you are also screwed if you move to a different country or whatever. I base my archive on CDs turned to flac or mp3 files and legally bought mp3s. There is no reason to pay the same price for iTune's closed variant. iTunes will require that you use VMware. A classic example of "if your applications are written for OS a and there is no version for OS b then running on OS b is bound to be less pleasant".

My imagine composition sucks. I need a heavier lens.

jobv2
THREAD ­ STARTER
561 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 18, 2011 19:56 |  #30

CameraMan wrote in post #12781446 (external link)

As for the driver issue, I have never had a problem with my devices under Ubuntu. They were automatically detected and run rather nicely.

i thought there was a way to run cs5 on ubuntu. ive "heard" about it but not really got deeper with it as at the time i had no intention of running ubuntu. if you're somewhat tech savvy you may be able to get it done. a quick google search gave me this: http://www.makeuseof.c​om …hotoshop-cs5-ubuntu-1004/ (external link)
that could be your starting point into running cs5 under ubunty (as im sure there are other tuts out there.)

knowing me, i would try anything to get cs5 to run under my OS, lmao, but im patient and crazy enough to try anything if it means making my life easier in the end

gear| feedback

sponsored links

7,399 views & 0 likes for this thread
Linux -any linux users?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.