Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 13 Jul 2011 (Wednesday) 22:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What's the best way to get this type of shot?

Reider
THREAD ­ STARTER
146 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 16, 2011 00:22 |  #16

I'm good friends with the two people getting married, I'm just not in the wedding party. My best friend who is in the wedding party was actually the one who suggested/asked that I take my camera and try and get a few good ones because he doesn't know if the couple getting married has even hired a photographer and if they did, if that person is any decent because the groom is "cheap" with certain things. For all we know, it could be "Aunt Jane Smith" with a point and shoot doing the wedding. My main reason for even bringing my equipment was "just in case" because nobody even knows if there is even a photographer and if that person even has a good camera/experience.

In terms of an isle shot, the scenario from what I have heard is that there are 180 confirmed guests , but only 50 chairs. This means that there's going to be a lot of people standing and crowded around. I never planned on actually standing in the isle to take a picture. I was thinking more along the lines of an isle seat or standing somewhere at the back and trying to get a couple shots of them walking. And then I was thinking about using the 55-250mm to get a few shots from my seat or from the standing room in the crowd.

I've been around photography my entire life, I'm not stupid enough to ruin someones wedding shots by jumping in front of a wedding photographer, if there even is one there. I'd be fine with just taking my point and shoot and enjoying the wedding.

Canon 550D T2i / 15-85mm USM IS / 18-55mm IS / 55-250mm IS

sponsored links
Reider
THREAD ­ STARTER
146 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 16, 2011 00:25 |  #17

Okay so apparently they did hire someone, so I might just take a few shots from my seat or from where I am standing or I may not take any at all.. haven't decided yet. But thanks for the responses, you are right, it's not a good idea to get in the way of a paid pro.

Canon 550D T2i / 15-85mm USM IS / 18-55mm IS / 55-250mm IS

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 16, 2011 00:33 |  #18

Reider wrote in post #12766832 (external link)
Okay so apparently they did hire someone, so I might just take a few shots from my seat or from where I am standing or I may not take any at all.. haven't decided yet. But thanks for the responses, you are right, it's not a good idea to get in the way of a paid pro.

Great response. I think it is perfectly fine to take photos from your seat, or of different things, but I have a few photos to add to the thread about people getting in the way of a shot - laughable.

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

Tigerkn
Goldmember
4,110 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 19, 2011 12:15 as a reply to  @ Red Tie Photography's post |  #19

Peacefield wrote in post #12756152 (external link)
This question has been asked before and I believe most use AI Servo. I prefer One-Shot because I prefer the confirmation that focus has been acheived. I'm shooting at f4-5.6 depending on circumstances and typically at about 50mm so DOF isn't very shallow. That coupled with firing the shutter right away allows One Shot to work very well.

DinosaurioAllie wrote in post #12754881 (external link)
The only thing I would suggest to do is use the wide angle of the lens. Use auto focus, and right after the camera confirms the focus snap the photo. Usually if you use a wide enough angle, the distance they would have walked shouldn't effect the focus too much. Of course, this is all theoretically. I suggest trying it out with a friend/child/family member, or even a pet.

TJ sorry OP..... Pros, How do you confirm the focus? Do you keep the beep ON or go by the color of the focus point.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,709 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 19, 2011 12:24 |  #20

Tigerkn wrote in post #12786260 (external link)
TJ sorry OP..... Pros, How do you confirm the focus? Do you keep the beep ON or go by the color of the focus point.

focus point flash will be 1 way - most Canon DSLRs I've used also have some green dot in lower right that confirms focus (at least I think that's what it's for)
As for the beep, I disable that and the ability to shoot w/o a CF as soon as I get a camera! No need for that beep in a church - let the guests' cameras do the beeping

EOS R6’ / 1D X / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 100/2, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

Pigsy
79 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 19, 2011 12:26 as a reply to  @ Tigerkn's post |  #21

Beep off during the ceremony obviously and go by the red focus lock (Canon)

As for focussing mode, I use centre focus- one shot focussing although I know that others use AI Servo .. which can be hit or miss depending on light quality :(

https://photography-on-the.net …php?do=newreply​&p=3054829

sponsored links

3,997 views & 0 likes for this thread
What's the best way to get this type of shot?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.