Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 18 Jul 2011 (Monday) 16:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First all-Asian wedding - a complete disaster!

this thread is locked
Iscariotau
516 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 19, 2011 10:33 |  #61

subbed. Interesting insight into what seems to be a very stressful sitution.

MyFlickr (external link)

sponsored links
SMP_Homer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,709 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 19, 2011 10:34 |  #62

nicksan wrote in post #12785506 (external link)
Not when you are trying to use that as a bargaining chip. You had a choice. You made that choice. You live with that choice. You can't blame the client after the fact. At least I wouldn't bring it up.

Yes, I made that choice. I was well prepared to live with that choice. The other party dropped the ball, I'm now less confident about the 2nd half of that choice.
It sounds more like I should lay down and let them dictate further what the terms of their deal is.

But really, I can't blame the client for missing on the payment date he chose? I suppose I can look at it as I always knew this could happen, and I let it happen, so it's all my fault. Never again will I let someone handle their own finances on their wedding day (lesson learned)

The first excuse was "the money is in the car, my sister left with it because she wasn't feeling good". Except they weren't in his car a single time that day. His car was left in his dad's driveway the night before as the keys were mis-placed - a fact that was mentionned by the groom to a groomsmen well into the evening. No one would believe they left money/wallet/purse/wha​tever in there w/o a concern this long

The 2nd excuse was I thought he/she was taking care of it. The only reason you would think the other one is taking care of it would be because you didn't spend the day together - I have a hard time they would be this far apart on the day after long enough to have that kind of 'communication breakdown'

All I see are 2 BS excuses - are they plausible? sure. But I smell BS. I anticipate a "it's in the mail" at some point...

EOS R6’ / 1D X / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 100/2, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

SMP_Homer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,709 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 19, 2011 10:37 |  #63

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #12785522 (external link)
My own wedding is fast approaching, and fully 1/3rd of the guests will be Viet Namese,.. I'll warn the Photogs to wear shin guards.. :rolleyes:

steel-toed shoes and a very bright vest wouldn't hurt either ;)

SMP_Homer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,709 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 19, 2011 10:44 |  #64

umphotography wrote in post #12785555 (external link)
Michel
PS- i didnt want to say it but someone beat me to it. Asains love their photos. Hate to stereotype but its so true. Go to any tourist trap and look who has all the cameras:lol:

There are cameras/phones with cameras at every wedding.
There's always a relative who has a new DSLR and can't wait to play with it
There's alsways another relative with a new video camera, and he wants to play with it
And for the most part, I encourage guests to bring their cameras/toys to the wedding. Guests are a huge part of the wedding. And there's always guests coming from far away that rarely get to see each other. So yeah, by all means have fun, get your pictures in, show off your new toys, etc... and the majority are mindful of the pros...
if the guests are having fun, my pictures will show it... unfortunately I have more shots of guests backsides than I do of B&G frontside....

But in this case, if you were a guest, and didn't have a camera, you were a minority. And in the age group 5 and under. In some cases, husband and wife were standing side by side, holding their cameras (1 each) trying to get around the obstruction that is another guest with a camera
I counted no less than 10 DSLRs - all Canon - 8 Rebels and a 40D and 50D. No external flash, and lenses varried between 18-55, 50 1.8, 17-85, 55-250.

SMP_Homer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,709 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 19, 2011 10:50 |  #65

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #12785522 (external link)
... snip...

completely off-topic.... but am I the only one that hears Paul Sr's voice when reading CyberDyneSystems' posts on this forum?

I swear each and everyone of his posts I read, I hear Sr talking...

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 19, 2011 10:50 |  #66

SMP_Homer wrote in post #12785627 (external link)
Yes, I made that choice. I was well prepared to live with that choice. The other party dropped the ball, I'm now less confident about the 2nd half of that choice.
It sounds more like I should lay down and let them dictate further what the terms of their deal is.

But really, I can't blame the client for missing on the payment date he chose? I suppose I can look at it as I always knew this could happen, and I let it happen, so it's all my fault. Never again will I let someone handle their own finances on their wedding day (lesson learned)

The first excuse was "the money is in the car, my sister left with it because she wasn't feeling good". Except they weren't in his car a single time that day. His car was left in his dad's driveway the night before as the keys were mis-placed - a fact that was mentionned by the groom to a groomsmen well into the evening. No one would believe they left money/wallet/purse/wha​tever in there w/o a concern this long

The 2nd excuse was I thought he/she was taking care of it. The only reason you would think the other one is taking care of it would be because you didn't spend the day together - I have a hard time they would be this far apart on the day after long enough to have that kind of 'communication breakdown'

All I see are 2 BS excuses - are they plausible? sure. But I smell BS. I anticipate a "it's in the mail" at some point...

Yeah, I get all that, and it sucks big time, but you have to be as diplomatic as possible because you need to get paid for the job you did and the hell you went through. Passing blame on the client won't get you there. What's done is done, so it's time to do some damage control right?

Sh*t happens. It always does. You just have to manage it that's all.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 19, 2011 10:51 |  #67

SMP_Homer wrote in post #12785745 (external link)
completely off-topic.... but am I the only one that hears Paul Sr's voice when reading CyberDyneSystems' posts on this forum?

Well, you know you started up a good thread when CDS chimes in.;):lol:

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,100 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 19, 2011 11:08 |  #68

SMP_Homer wrote in post #12785745 (external link)

This is in fact the intended response.. works like a charm most of the time! :lol:

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

liehmac
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 19, 2011 14:49 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #69

subscribed

5D mk II, 50D, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 85mm 1.4, Canon 24-105mm f4 L, Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro, Canon 580 Ex II, Canon 430 Ex
www.chrisliehmannphoto​graphy.com (external link)

Chelsey ­ Somohano
317 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 19, 2011 16:08 |  #70

SMP_Homer wrote in post #12782496 (external link)
I did no complain about where to eat - my complaint was more why not eat at the same time as everyone else, as I'm not planning on shooting people eating. I could care less about where I'm eating, and it was a lot quieter and nicer to be separated from everyone for those 15 minutes...

Actually, our contract states that we are to be fed, and in the same room. Weddings vary, and should something important happen or should the B&G need me for something, I want to be close.

IMHO, while it sounds like an awful wedding and you were treated poorly, it happens. Obviously, there was a lack of respect on both ends. As for payment being late, chill. They did just get married. Most people leave for their honeymoon the next morning. Send an email, keep in contact, and don't delete the pictures. That all just screams lawsuit. Plus, if they are even half-decent images, wouldn't you want them for your portfolio? I can't imagine deleting an entire wedding. That hurts my heart.

50D | 35L | 24-70L | 50 1.8 |
"Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer - It makes you a camera owner."

Bheims
387 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 19, 2011 16:24 |  #71

Im sorry to hear about the situation OP, I cant imagine how frustrating that day must have been. I definitely would've left when the dad yelled "photoman". Asians as a collective can be a difficult group to deal with.

Gear: 5DMkII, 60D, 20D, 24-105L, 17-85, Rokinon 8mm, 50 1.8, Some lights n stuff
Flickr (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 19, 2011 16:27 |  #72

Bheims wrote in post #12787610 (external link)
Im sorry to hear about the situation OP, I cant imagine how frustrating that day must have been. I definitely would've left when the dad yelled "photoman". Asians as a collective can be a difficult group to deal with.

Honestly, as an Asian myself, I don't know how to react to that.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Grow some balls. People yell "Hey, Photographer!" to me all the time, which really isn't any different than "Photoman". Doesn't upset me one bit. You would have left had he called you that? Seriously? Again...grow some balls man.

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 19, 2011 16:31 |  #73

Bheims wrote in post #12787610 (external link)

Your kidding right ??? You would have left a contracted job because you were called 'photoman"? and you get sued because you did not fufill your contract !!! OH BOY!!!!

"Asians as a collective can be a difficult group to deal with"

REALLY ? I think people as a collective can be difficult to deal with *L*

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 19, 2011 16:32 |  #74

Honestly, from the the title of this thread, to the OP's "White men getting trampled" comment, I knew where this was headed. Typical really...and quite silly. Please, let's leave all that crap out of it.

Chelsey ­ Somohano
317 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 19, 2011 16:35 |  #75

nicksan wrote in post #12787656 (external link)
Honestly, from the the title of this thread, to the OP's "White men getting trampled" comment, I knew where this was headed. Typical really...and quite silly. Please, let's leave all that crap out of it.

I kind of saw it headed in the same direction. :rolleyes:

50D | 35L | 24-70L | 50 1.8 |
"Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer - It makes you a camera owner."

sponsored links

99,321 views & 0 likes for this thread
First all-Asian wedding - a complete disaster!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.