Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 05 Mar 2006 (Sunday) 10:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

NYC POTN Meet Times Square Area Street Photography

jwbker
130 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 12, 2006 08:40 as a reply to  @ post 1277881 |  #16

I'm sorry you're not feeling well. I see what you mean about street photography opportunities. Wherever it is next time, I'll make it assuming I'm in town!

James

sponsored links
Double ­ Negative
*sniffles*
10,533 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 13, 2006 12:49 |  #17

I'd be game for a city meet-up sometime. I live on the Island.

I've always wanted to go find and shoot the remnants of the White Star terminal (of Titanic fame). Obviously it's on one of the piers...

La Vida Leica! (external link) LitPixel Galleries (external link) -- 1V-HS, 1D Mark IIn & 5D Mark IV w/BG-E20
15mm f/2.8, 14mm f/2.8L, 24mm f/1.4L II, 35mm f/1.4L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L II, 135mm f/2.0L
16-35mm f/2.8L, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, Extender EF 1.4x II & 2x II

KaiNYC
27 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 14, 2006 11:20 |  #18

Hi! New NYC member here! Count me in for next time as well!

Leorooster
Cream of the Crop
6,749 posts
Joined May 2005

Mar 14, 2006 12:56 |  #19

I thought I missed it, but then I noticed it was called off. Well, in any case I think I need to check here more often. :)

Canon 1DMarkIII :shock: | Canon 5DII :p | Fujifilm Finepix F30
Glasses & Goodies

condyk
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
20,887 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 14, 2006 13:01 as a reply to  @ post 1277881 |  #20

BottomBracket wrote:
I have a Bridgestone MB-2, converted to singlespeed, a Litespeed hardtail, a Litespeed road bike, and a Strida folder. I'd love to get a Santa Cruz Blur soon, that is if my wife approves (need to work on that). :)

I thought English was the default language here :p

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1203740

Leorooster
Cream of the Crop
6,749 posts
Joined May 2005

Mar 14, 2006 13:34 as a reply to  @ condyk's post |  #21

condyk wrote:

lol.......:lol: :lol: :lol:

Glasses & Goodies

wcbert33
93 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 14, 2006 13:52 |  #22

For those that need a better idea than Times Square or are not aware of this event in New York City.

I went to last year's event at the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens for the first time and it was photographer fun! Brooklyn Botanic Gardens Cherry Blooms Festival (external link) This only happens once a year and easy to get to by subway.

Here are some of my snapshots from last year's event.

Bill

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

http://WilliamBert.com (external link)

"New Yorkers like to think that their city is the center of the universe, and after spending some time there, I am not so sure they are wrong." Photographer Bob Krist from his book, Spirit of Place.

dicky109
698 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Mar 14, 2006 15:01 as a reply to  @ Double Negative's post |  #23

Double Negative wrote:
I've always wanted to go find and shoot the remnants of the White Star terminal (of Titanic fame). Obviously it's on one of the piers...

http://www.newyorkcity​walk.com/html/images_W​hiteStar (external link).
html

I believe its part of the Chelsea Piers complex. But maybe you'll find Kate Winslet playing golf there.:)

http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Chelsea_Piers (external link)

Rich B
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt"--Bertrand Russell

Leorooster
Cream of the Crop
6,749 posts
Joined May 2005

Mar 14, 2006 17:53 as a reply to  @ wcbert33's post |  #24

wcbert33 wrote:
For those that need a better idea than Times Square or are not aware of this event in New York City.

I went to last year's event at the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens for the first time and it was photographer fun! Brooklyn Botanic Gardens Cherry Blooms Festival (external link) This only happens once a year and easy to get to by subway.

Here are some of my snapshots from last year's event.

Bill

Very nice, a couple from me. Also from last year (2005).

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Glasses & Goodies

Calzinger
Goldmember
1,798 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 14, 2006 18:14 |  #25

I was actually planning to take a trip to the botanical gardens later this when the weather gets better and I can get some extension tubes, but hey, why don't we hold a POTn meet there? The gardens idea, as well as John's idea for the boat trip in Long Island, sound fantastic. It looks like there are going to be plenty of meets when the sun is shinin' and the birds are chirpin'.

I'm also planning to revisit the Intrepid (the aircraft carrier along the west side highway) and the MoMA. If anyone has any other ideas of things to see in NYC, I'd like to hear about them. I'm going to have plenty of time over the summer. And once I attain my license in a few months (hopefully), I'll be making plenty of trips to the city with my glass.

"That building in the background is distracting."
"Oh OK, I'll move it out of the way next time."
internet forum fail

KaiNYC
27 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 14, 2006 21:00 as a reply to  @ Calzinger's post |  #26

I've gotten some great skyline and Statue of Liberty shots on the Circle Line Cruise that goes around Manhattan. It leaves from the same place as the Intrepid I believe. Next time I go I'm going to try to go around sunset and get some night/sun down shots.

-Kai

Calzinger wrote:
I was actually planning to take a trip to the botanical gardens later this when the weather gets better and I can get some extension tubes, but hey, why don't we hold a POTn meet there? The gardens idea, as well as John's idea for the boat trip in Long Island, sound fantastic. It looks like there are going to be plenty of meets when the sun is shinin' and the birds are chirpin'.

I'm also planning to revisit the Intrepid (the aircraft carrier along the west side highway) and the MoMA. If anyone has any other ideas of things to see in NYC, I'd like to hear about them. I'm going to have plenty of time over the summer. And once I attain my license in a few months (hopefully), I'll be making plenty of trips to the city with my glass.

Double ­ Negative
*sniffles*
10,533 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 14, 2006 21:33 |  #27

Sweet, Rich! Thanks! That's the one.

I've always had a lot of fun just wandering the east village and shooting, but there's a lot of places to shoot in the city. The botanical gardens sounds like a really neat idea.

La Vida Leica! (external link) LitPixel Galleries (external link) -- 1V-HS, 1D Mark IIn & 5D Mark IV w/BG-E20
15mm f/2.8, 14mm f/2.8L, 24mm f/1.4L II, 35mm f/1.4L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L II, 135mm f/2.0L
16-35mm f/2.8L, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, Extender EF 1.4x II & 2x II

BottomBracket
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,398 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Mar 14, 2006 21:55 |  #28

Good idea! Let's set that date, Sunday works best for me, but I see that the Taiko drums are on Saturday. I do have some company from out of town that weekend (actually a whole month) but I guess I'll have to drag them along, or ditch them.

Usually on Sundays I wander alone on the streets, taking pictures. Anyone who has their Sunday free and wish to tag along, just give me a holler. If you bike, even better, we can cover a lot of ground that way.

Pio
Veni, Vidi, Canoni - I Came, I Saw, I Took A Picture With My Canon
Fotopio.com - Gallery of the Meandering Eye (external link)
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.

BottomBracket
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,398 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Mar 14, 2006 21:59 as a reply to  @ condyk's post |  #29

condyk wrote:

Dave, I think most would feel the same way if we talk Gaggiaese. :) So how do you tamp your grounds? N, S, E, W quadrant, with slight polishing and tapping to finish it off? 30 pounds pressure I presume? I hope you don't use the crema disc, that's cheating :)

Pio
Veni, Vidi, Canoni - I Came, I Saw, I Took A Picture With My Canon
Fotopio.com - Gallery of the Meandering Eye (external link)
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.

Leorooster
Cream of the Crop
6,749 posts
Joined May 2005

Mar 14, 2006 22:00 |  #30

Hmmmm....... I have to go to chruch on Sunday and usually family day afterward. If you guys ever want to do anything on Saturday, I will be in :) Have fun.

Glasses & Goodies

sponsored links

7,244 views & 0 likes for this thread
NYC POTN Meet Times Square Area Street Photography
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.