Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Jul 2011 (Sunday) 18:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Upset with the 15 85

genjurok
537 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 20, 2011 23:51 |  #106

eltatin wrote in post #12796218 (external link)
Thanks guys for the information, and your point of view.
Probably I´ll keep it

Or get a 2nd hand 17-85, which is the predecessor of 15-85, similar feature : USM, IS, aperture range, but 2mm less wide. It should be really cheap ( < $300) and I'm happy about its performance. It's my dedicated vacation lens! :D

6D
Canon 17-40mm f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II
Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 100mm f/2
580 EX | 430 EX | Pixel King Pro wireless radio trigger and receiver (x2)

clarnibass
797 posts
Joined May 2011

Jul 21, 2011 03:42 |  #107

Looking at your last photo comparison, the 55-250 looks a bit sharper. The colours and overall look of the 15-85 looks better to me. The 55-250 maybe looks slightly over exposed while the 15-85 slightly under. It depends what you want, since the house has strong light on it but other areas have shadows on them. It looks like it gets more light than your 15-85 in the same settings. Maybe you should also compare other parts of the photo in 100%, like the sides/top/bottom and parts with a different distance from the camera (e.g. the front of the porch on the left side).
So are you sure the difference is not a focus issue? Maybe you didn't manually focus exactly as good with the 15-85? As far as the shadow being different etc. that someone mentioned, that could have been wind moving the trees and plants plus light can change pretty fast sometimes (though I didn't check this very thoroughly).

I agree with the the above poster who said the 55-250, although not underpriced IMO (I don't think any lens is underpriced), can be a very good lens, at least in part of the range, especially for the price. I also agree the 15-85, although great (my favorite walk-around on a x1.6 body), is a bit overpriced.
It's like an 800m race between Usain Bolt and the 800m champion. I'm sure Bolt would be very good and beat almost everyone, but not the 800m champion. So the 15-85 isn't the Bolt of the lens world and the 55-250 isn't the 800m champion, but the same idea. Compare them at 200m and the 800m champion didn't even start by the time Bolt finished...

Just because the 15-85 is much more expensive doesn't mean it will be sharper than the 55-250 at all overlapping focus ranges. IMO it also doesn't really matter if many think your lens is ok or not. Most important is that you are happy with it. If this result (regardless of whether yours is defective or not) is not good enough for you, then probably best to return if you can. Maybe try another copy to check. Many complain about quality control issues with this lens.

I don't have the 55-250 for comparison but it's very hard to say. Based on that 100% crop I'm leaning to your 15-85 photo having a small issue. I can't be sure and I'm emphasizing photo and not lens because I can't say the problem is with the lens either.

I just compared my 15-85 at 61mm (couldn't get it to 60mm) with my 60mm macro which is very sharp, both at f/5 & 1/125. For some reason the objects (which were about 15m-20m from me) in the 60mm photos came out slightly bigger, maybe I held the camera a tiny bit closer, I'm not sure. In sharpness there is a small difference but far from huge. The 15-85 is also slightly less exposed. But I don't know if the 55-250 at 55mm would be even sharper than both of them, but I doubt it. My tests show me that the 15-85 is very good for a walk-around zoom, being close to a very sharp prime sometimes. But your 100% does look a bit strange, possibly an issue.

Re the zoom creep, it almost never happens with this lens at the ends of the zoom. That's why some people (not everyone) claim they don't have it when they do. The creep is usually between 24mm and 50mm only, when the camera is pointing close to or exactly up or down. To check, put it at about 40mm and point up or put it at around 35mm and point down.

Here is my comparison.

IMAGE: http://www.nitailevi.com/temp/15-85_vs_60_2.jpg

www.nitailevi.com (external link)

dissident
60 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 21, 2011 05:05 |  #108

my decentered one is on the way... I'll post some pics when I get it back. They didn't charge me any more over the quoted online price. Bought the lens on ebay for about a hundred bucks under typical new retail, and cost $150 to send it to irvine. Mine had decentering that I didn't notice right away. Not sure if it was like that when I got it due to my own fault of not checking the quality of the glass right when I got it.

Dear XXXXXX :

We are pleased to confirm that the service you requested on your EF-S 15-85 3.5-5.6 IS USM has been completed and your equipment has been shipped to you on 18-JUL-11 . The tracking number for your package is XXXXXXXXXXX . If you wish to track the status of your shipment through Federal Express, click here, or visit www.FedEx.com (external link) and use the tracking number listed above.
Please note a signature may be required for delivery!

Thank you for purchasing Canon products and for allowing us this opportunity to serve you.

Best Regards,
Canon Factory Service Center

So this will be some free publicity for them if I get the lens back and post "after" shots that are pristine back to back with the before shots that I posted about a month back in another thread.

Canon T2i | Battery Extender | Canon EF-S 15-85mm | Tamron AF 70-300mm VC USD | Nifty Fifty Mark 1

dave_bass5
Goldmember
4,303 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 21, 2011 05:32 |  #109

dissident wrote in post #12797137 (external link)
my decentered one is on the way... I'll post some pics when I get it back. They didn't charge me any more over the quoted online price. Bought the lens on ebay for about a hundred bucks under typical new retail, and cost $150 to send it to irvine. Mine had decentering that I didn't notice right away. Not sure if it was like that when I got it due to my own fault of not checking the quality of the glass right when I got it.

I remember your thread. Im glad you got it sorted, fingers crossed that its better than it was.

Did it cost you anything? Did the seller have any more involvement?

Dave.
Gallery@http://www.flickr.com/​photos/davebass5/ (external link)
Canon 5DMKIV | Canon EOS-M50 | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | 70-300L | 135L f/2.0 | EF-S 10-18 | 40 f/2.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Canon S110 | Fuji F31FD | Canon 580EXII, 270EXII | Yongnuo YN-622C Triggers.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

11,684 views & 0 likes for this thread
Upset with the 15 85
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.