Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
Thread started 21 Jul 2011 (Thursday) 16:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Railroad tracks in Flat North Dakota

Tweet
337 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 21, 2011 16:16 |  #1

I did this in photoshop, I don't do many HDR's but I want to do more... Looking into Photomatix but IDK. Let me know what you think.

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6009/5961772513_8dfaa5c4bc_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/47581927@N02/5​961772513/  (external link)
Railroad (external link) by Ptweet (external link), on Flickr

sponsored links
Spike44
Goldmember
2,155 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 21, 2011 19:05 |  #2

First observation is the crooked horizon.
It is a shame that you missed (underexposed) so much of the texture in the grass in the upper right and the stone along the tracks.
The halos are not a big issue with me here.
Photomatix has a trial version so you can compare....I quite like Photoshop for a natural effect but find them a bit lacking in contrast - yours is fine other than what I have said above.

Tweet
THREAD ­ STARTER
337 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 21, 2011 19:18 |  #3

Yeah... I had it exposed. I took 11 images about 1 ev apart from almost all black to almost all white, but I think it was the photoshop processing either that I did or just the limitations of ps that made those on the dark side. I ought to try photomatix and see, people say there is a huge difference. I didn't notice the horizon I tried to level the camera using the bubble level on my tripod. I'd swear its a hill, if thats possible. I don't shoot enough landscape to look for that type of thing. I saw the halos as I was processing, but I kind of dig the local contrast thing... Thanks for the input. I'll try straighten it a bit and maybe do a photomatix conversion.

Tweet
THREAD ­ STARTER
337 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 21, 2011 19:49 as a reply to  @ Tweet's post |  #4

Here is a quick fix. The top right needs better ps work. Definitely looks better straight

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6126/5962263027_79bf163462_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/47581927@N02/5​962263027/  (external link)
RR fixed (external link) by Ptweet (external link), on Flickr

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
14,037 posts
Gallery: 205 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 21, 2011 20:04 as a reply to  @ Tweet's post |  #5

I agree that the image is too dark. With that many exposures, your dynamic range will be much better than what is being shown. With some tweaking, I can see a lot of detail not only in the rail ties and rocks but even in the railroad crossing sign itself. By opening up the shadows, that also has the benefit of reducing the amount of haloing around the sign as well.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

Tweet
THREAD ­ STARTER
337 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 21, 2011 20:47 as a reply to  @ navydoc's post |  #6

While I like my second one the best, I think this one does bring out more detail... I re-did it entirely from scratch, but I'm going to try photomatix next. I did get some weird ghosting in the trees this time I processed... I'm too lazy to fix now, plus I really don't prefer this edit anyhow.

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6005/5962376075_0536f6f0b8_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/47581927@N02/5​962376075/  (external link)
rr hdr 3 (external link) by Ptweet (external link), on Flickr

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
14,037 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 21, 2011 21:12 as a reply to  @ Tweet's post |  #7

I like your second effort better than this one too as now it lacks contrast and the haloing is worse.

If you decide to get Photomatix, and I think you will like the program, be sure to do a google search for a coupon code to save you 15%

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

Tweet
THREAD ­ STARTER
337 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 21, 2011 22:40 |  #8

Photomatix is a lot of fun! I am proud of this and I want to eventually make a print (once I get it "perfect") I'm just torn between a natural look and a ultra-contrasty local contrast look. I'll post some photomatix conversions maybe tomorrow. Thanks for the input. If you guys want to edit, thats fine. Maybe I can get some inspiration. You really need all 11 images to mess with an HDR though

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
14,037 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 22, 2011 00:24 as a reply to  @ Tweet's post |  #9

Here's my attempt based on your original post above. This is just to give you an alternate look to help you decide what you prefer.

I did some cloning around the RR sign and removed the lens flares too.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

WesternGuy
774 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 22, 2011 02:05 |  #10

Good attempt under relatively difficult conditions - sun shining right at you...if you are going to look at software beyond Photoshop and I would encourage you to do so, don't over look Nik Software's HDR Efex Pro. You can down load a trial free for 15 days and no watermarks. I have tried both Photomatix and Nik's software and prefer Nik's as their control point technology gives me much more control over the final output. You can find the download here: http://www.niksoftware​.com …a/entry.php?vie​w=software (external link) and if you go to one of their webinars, they will give you a code to purchase it at about 15% off, should you decide to buy it. Webinars are here:http://www.niksoftware​.com/learnmore/usa/ind​ex.php (external link). Not that I am promoting this product, I just think there are other good products that you might want to look at.

WesternGuy

Spike44
Goldmember
2,155 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 22, 2011 11:22 |  #11

You beat me to it Gene...my edit was very similar but not quite as green as yours......nice work.
I really think we have proven time and time again how post processing can improve a product of HDR processing....I would go further and say it is essential. Look what you have done with 1 JPG vs 11 images in HDR process.

Tweet wrote in post #12802187 (external link)
You really need all 11 images to mess with an HDR though

I don't agree with this statement......overkil​l given how much underexposure is in the final image although I agree it probably doesn't hurt where direct sun is involved.

wolfden
Goldmember
1,439 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 24, 2011 20:47 |  #12

what part of North Dakota are you in, I'm in the NE part?

~KJS~
Photos by KJS (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | 500px (external link) | Google+ (external link)
Canon 60D Shooter

Tweet
THREAD ­ STARTER
337 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 24, 2011 21:18 |  #13

I'm from south of Grand Forks... This was taken out by fordville, nd

wolfden
Goldmember
1,439 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 24, 2011 21:59 |  #14

ahhh ok, I am 2 hours North and a bit West of Grand Forks, Langdon. The scenery in your picture looks familiar. Photomatix and HDR Efex Pro both have trial versions.

Free beta version of photomatix
http://www.hdrsoft.com​/download/beta/pmp41.h​tml (external link)

I've been using that and liking it. I think you will find it better than PS. I really don't care for PS and it's HDR thing.

~KJS~
Photos by KJS (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | 500px (external link) | Google+ (external link)
Canon 60D Shooter

Scooby_Doo
157 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 24, 2011 23:25 |  #15

*Waves to Tweet and wolfden.*

sponsored links

2,800 views & 0 likes for this thread
Railroad tracks in Flat North Dakota
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.