Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 19 Jul 2011 (Tuesday) 09:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adorama Selling Experience

Andrew_WOT
Goldmember
1,418 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 21, 2011 12:40 |  #46

HelenOster wrote in post #12796953 (external link)
Adorama is NOT a 'bait-&-switch' operation.

We cover the cost of a customer shipping items in to us for evaluation, and if the customer does not wish to accept our offer, we cover the cost of shipping it back, fully insured.

Adorama as a whole is not but used department equipment acquisition procedure definitely fits the bill.

Why don't provide the actual price the customer would get to begin with, why play with numbers quoting one price and giving completely different story after receiving the stuff. The whole tactic is that majority wouldn't bother with demanding stuff back and just accept low ball offer.

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,563 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jul 21, 2011 12:55 |  #47

Andrew_WOT wrote in post #12799199 (external link)
Adorama as a whole is not but used department equipment acquisition procedure definitely fits the bill.

Why don't provide the actual price the customer would get to begin with, why play with numbers quoting one price and giving completely different story after receiving the stuff. The whole tactic is that majority wouldn't bother with demanding stuff back and just accept low ball offer.

Because the world doesn't work that way, they have to see the equipment first to determine the actual price. They don't quote any real numbers when they send you the shipping label, they give you % and vague terms ike fair market value/used value, etc, and you don't know what those real numbers are until they call again to haggle the price.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,563 posts
Joined May 2002

Jul 21, 2011 13:00 |  #48

Because the world doesn't work that way, they have to see the equipment first to determine the actual price. They don't quote any real numbers when they send you the shipping label, they give you % and vague terms ike fair market value/used value, etc, and you don't know what those real numbers are until they call again to haggle the price.

This not bait and switch, because you as the consumer are never out anything at any point in this process. Adorama foots the bill completely through this as added risk. Bait and switch means you paid for something, product or service, and the other party knowingly doesn't have what you expected to receive, but substitutes it for something more inferior.

If someone is not good at haggling, I would strongly suggest they stay away from these kinds of "we buy your used goods" services. :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

HelenOster
That's me!
4,507 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 21, 2011 14:19 |  #49

Why don't provide the actual price the customer would get to begin with, why play with numbers quoting one price and giving completely different story after receiving the stuff.

As is stated above, we have to see the item to give a quote. I'm sure nobody would really be surprised to discover that one guy's "excellent" is another guy's "well-used". We have to see an item to be clear what we going to be offering for sale.

In addition, as I explained earlier the used department is affected by new releases / new equipment shortages - plus it follows on, currency fluctuations. An estimate given today over the 'phone, couldn't be guaranteed to be good in 4 weeks' time.

Don't know about you, but I would never agree to buy used gear from anyone sight unseen if I didn't think I could get a refund if it wasn't what I thought it would be - equally the Adorama used department can't commit to a price without seeing the gear. And believe me, every day we receive gear from customers which we are assurred is "excellent", but if we tried to sell it on as that, we'd be drummed out of town.....

Andrew_WOT
Goldmember
1,418 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 21, 2011 14:36 |  #50

TeamSpeed wrote in post #12799286 (external link)

All they need is giving people fair range from the start, this number playing game has nothing to do with the result of evaluation, I know what condition my item was and in fact evaluation didn't find it differ from what was specified but still the offered price dropped significantly anyhow.
I bet if they gave the realistic number to begin with no one would send in anything.

Have you personally sold any equipment to Adorama, was the originally estimated price close to what you finally get, just curious if mine and other posters experience is different from yours?

I have nothing against Adorama as etailer, they still have my business, I'd just never ever turn to them for selling my equipment, that's all.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,563 posts
Joined May 2002

Jul 21, 2011 16:33 |  #51

Andrew_WOT wrote in post #12799856 (external link)
All they need is giving people fair range from the start, this number playing game has nothing to do with the result of evaluation, I know what condition my item was and in fact evaluation didn't find it differ from what was specified but still the offered price dropped significantly anyhow.
I bet if they gave the realistic number to begin with no one would send in anything.

Have you personally sold any equipment to Adorama, was the originally estimated price close to what you finally get, just curious if mine and other posters experience is different from yours?

I have nothing against Adorama as etailer, they still have my business, I'd just never ever turn to them for selling my equipment, that's all.

As we find on our own buy/sell forum, one person's evaluation could be quite a bit off the mark. Nobody in the used market gives you numbers just over the phone or email, cars, houses, etc especially without pics and feedback.

Yes I sent in a 1D3, and I was never given an exact dollar figure before I sent it off. I was given a percentage (70%) of average selling price for whatever condition mine was in. Once they received it, I think the price offered was around $1500-1600 or so. It had a ding in the body at the top, and I didn't have complete contents (AC adapter was missing). I declined and later received around $200 more in a private sale.

Bottom line, this is not bait and switch, it is a hard version of haggling over used equipment by a reseller. This is not that abnormal a practice. Frustrating that they will give you so little, but what would you expect? They assume all risk on the used equipment, and have to cover returns, etc later.

Go trade a car in, and you will be quoted nearly wholesale for the trade, unless you pay sticker for the new car. I am well versed in the used car sales arena, and this felt very similar to what sales staff are taught in the business training center at a dealership. If you want some enjoyment, try to get your hands on the training dvds.... Yikes...

If you want top dollar or cannot handle the haggling side of used sales, simply sell on ebay (and pay the 10-12%), sell on Amazon (and pay even higher fees), or sell on the boards. You will net more.

DLitton
855 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 21, 2011 17:03 |  #52

Y'all on the positive side of adorama. I am looking into getting a body used from them and they are sending me the pics of it. I dont think we should bash them. Both B&H and Adorama are good companies. Helen made a good point in that 'someones excellent' is their 'well-used'. Which is why I asked for pictures to know what to expect. As the post above me states --- if you want more money sell it yourself... but it might not be as fast and from a buyers point of view i feel safer buying from Adorama with their 30 day return and 3 month warranty than a private seller. Just my 2 cents!

David

Andrew_WOT
Goldmember
1,418 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 21, 2011 18:17 |  #53

TeamSpeed wrote in post #12800558 (external link)
If you want top dollar or cannot handle the haggling side of used sales, simply sell on ebay (and pay the 10-12%), sell on Amazon (and pay even higher fees), or sell on the boards. You will net more.

Thanks for the advice, this is exactly what I did and get what I expedited to be a fair price. Now, tell us what made you send your camera in? :D

rsmallenberg
THREAD ­ STARTER
36 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 21, 2011 18:54 |  #54

Helen came to the rescue. After she looked into the situation, it was determined that some mistakes were made. I am receiving the full original quote on the 5d. And, since I was given a discount on a 16-35 f/2.8L ii, Adorama has more than made up for the low quote for the 135 f/2.0L.

I am once again a completely satisfied customer.

Helen, wherever you are, you are awesome!

~ Rob
5D ii | 50D | 16-35 f2.8L ii | 24-105 f4L | 50 f1.4 | 85 f1.8 | Σ 150 f2.8 Macro | Σ 70-200 f2.8 OS | Kenko 1.4x Pro 300
Flickr (external link)

rsmallenberg
THREAD ­ STARTER
36 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 21, 2011 19:34 |  #55

1000arms wrote in post #12801303 (external link)
I'm glad to hear things worked out well! I suggest you edit your first post and add the new information to the top of the post. This may allow latecomers to the thread to quickly be aware of the resolution.

Thanks for the good idea. It is done.

~ Rob
5D ii | 50D | 16-35 f2.8L ii | 24-105 f4L | 50 f1.4 | 85 f1.8 | Σ 150 f2.8 Macro | Σ 70-200 f2.8 OS | Kenko 1.4x Pro 300
Flickr (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,563 posts
Joined May 2002

Jul 21, 2011 20:41 |  #56

Andrew_WOT wrote in post #12801027 (external link)
Thanks for the advice, this is exactly what I did and get what I expedted to be a fair price. Now, tell us what made you send you camera in? :p

Because I had my 1D4 listed, and had no bites, and I was going to keep the 1D3, so then I decided to just go the other way, and while I had the 1D4 up for sale and had it available for shoots, I figured there was no loss in seeing what they would give me for the 1D3. It wasn't good enough, so I sold it online. It helped that I had in it nearly what they were offering. :)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 21, 2011 23:27 |  #57

I'm happy to see Helen resolved this, we are lucky to have her here.

M3Rocket
580 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jul 22, 2011 01:49 |  #58

Helen has been instrumental to Adorama. She helped me in several situations. One of which was quite complicated, and had to do with their used department. It was resolved amicably, but it takes some time for fact gathering and such. I'm happy for the original poster that this also got taken care of.

iLUKphotography (external link)

HelenOster
That's me!
4,507 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 22, 2011 05:27 |  #59

rsmallenberg wrote in post #12801166 (external link)
I am once again a completely satisfied customer.

Helen, wherever you are, you are awesome!

I'm in not-so-sunny kidderminster, pretty much in the center of England. Off for a day trip with my Mum shortly but will check in on my favorite forum, later!

rick_reno wrote in post #12802429 (external link)
I'm happy to see Helen resolved this, we are lucky to have her here.

M3Rocket wrote in post #12802868 (external link)
Helen has been instrumental to Adorama. She helped me in several situations.

Thanks so much - as always, my pleasure! :D

theoubobcat
104 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 22, 2011 09:59 |  #60

Helen is one of those people you always feel lucky to find when dealing with a company, the kind that make you a loyal customer.

--Jeff
ID MkIV, 5D Mk III w/BG-E11, 7D w/BG-E7, 300/f.28 (non-IS), 70-200 f/2.8 II, 70-300 L, 24-105 L, 10-22, 85 1.8, 50 1.4, 17-55 2.8, Sigma 150-500 , Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 Sport, TC 1.4 II and III and 2X II, 600 EX-RT, 580 EX II, 580 EX & 430 EXII

sponsored links

4,141 views & 0 likes for this thread
Adorama Selling Experience
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.