Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Jul 2011 (Friday) 05:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why is this happening? Posterization/Color Banding

asc11
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 22, 2011 05:24 |  #1

Lately I have been taking some really terrible photo's with my 500D. They have been coming out with awful posterization/color banding straight from the camera. I have only been shooting in jpeg mode which could be the problem but I haven't seen this until now. I have been using the camera for about a year now and haven't seen this before. Any tips?

<pictures removed due to ID10T user error>

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 22, 2011 05:44 |  #2

Hi, can you post the photos straight on the forum please, a 1st time poster with a dropbox link is not going to succeed too well...we'll think you are a spammer and I am sure you don't want that!

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

asc11
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 22, 2011 06:04 as a reply to  @ Mike's post |  #3

I feel like a real tool now - I opened up the photo's in a different program to scale them for the web and low and behold the problem is gone. Turns out it is the stupid windows picture viewer that is adding in the artifacts.

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 22, 2011 06:56 |  #4

Ah well done, glad it is sorted and welcome to the forum :)

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Mark2Mark
136 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 22, 2011 10:40 |  #5

asc11 wrote in post #12803359 (external link)
I feel like a real tool now - I opened up the photo's in a different program to scale them for the web and low and behold the problem is gone. Turns out it is the stupid windows picture viewer that is adding in the artifacts.

I had the same problem with the windows viewer, so now I use google picasa to view, much faster.

I managed to fix the windows viewer problem by following instructions I found on the internet (sorry, you'll have to google as it was years ago).
Something to do with the colour profiles and adobe files.

Gear

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,526 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why is this happening? Posterization/Color Banding
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.