Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 21 Jul 2011 (Thursday) 19:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Storage issue

oldgoat912
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 21, 2011 19:27 |  #1

I usually shot in camera raw. My 5D Mark II sucks up memory. I usually download files from the compact flash card into my PC. However, we are going on a two week vacation to the Galapagos and Machu Pechu and don't want to take my rather large:confused: laptop with us. Other than paying a fortune for flash cards, is there any other option for storing photos?

sponsored links
Whitlam
493 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 21, 2011 19:33 |  #2

Recently I went to Bhutan, India & Sri Lanka. I bought a cheap Netbook ($300) with a 500gb hard drive and used that on my trip to download photos at the end of each day.

It weighed only 1kg - and was small (25 cm screen) and easy to carry around

1D4 + 1Ds2 + 5D3 + 7D: 100-400L, 300 f/2.8 ISL, 70-200 f/2.8 II ISL, 24-105L, 16-35L, [COLOR=Red][COLOR=Blac​k]180L macro, 135L, 100 L macro, 85L, 8-15 fish eye

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,845 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 21, 2011 19:52 as a reply to  @ Whitlam's post |  #3

There are several portable storage units. I've had a Jobo GigaOne 40GB for 5 or so years that works great. Plug the card in, turn on, and hit a button to backup. Some are straight backup and some that have a viewer, but I don't know if they'll handle RAW files.

I searched B&H and don't see the Jobo. Here is another brand that I looked at and looks pretty good for the price. Wolverine (external link)

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

LarryD
847 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 21, 2011 21:46 as a reply to  @ D Thompson's post |  #4

Google: Portable Digital Card Readers

There are several good ones out there. I use an old Epson P-3000

However, I download the cards to the Epson each night, but I still store and keep each card until I get home to download to the Computer main Library.. The cards are the main and the Epson is a backup.. If the cards are in the camera bag and the Epson is in the luggage, the odds of getting all images home intact are greatly improved.... It's cheaper to buy a few cards and a Portable Card Reader than it is to go back and retake all those photos......... :D

I use the Pelican cases for cards.. one for CF cards and another for SDHC..

.... Got some cameras; got some glass ..... I just need one more of each.....:rolleyes:

Some Snap-Shots (external link)
http://500px.com/Larry​D (external link)

Dustman
769 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 21, 2011 22:29 |  #5

Whitlam wrote in post #12801325 (external link)
Recently I went to Bhutan, India & Sri Lanka. I bought a cheap Netbook ($300) with a 500gb hard drive and used that on my trip to download photos at the end of each day.

It weighed only 1kg - and was small (25 cm screen) and easy to carry around

+1 on a Netbook, if its only for memory storage, I bet you can find one on sale somewhere for $199. Like Whitlam mention, small & lightweight & thin too. And you can throw a portable HDD in your luggae somewhere too for more space.

Enjoy Machu Pichhu, I go to Peru once a year, and have visted Cusco 2 times. Beautiful!!

www.DustinLevine.com (external link)

ROGERWILCO357
Goldmember
1,551 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 22, 2011 04:30 as a reply to  @ Dustman's post |  #6

I always backup to hard drive the net book would work then upload to photobucket pro just in case ..or just buy more cf cards heck you can never have enough cards..

EOS 5DMKII gripped;EOS 7D;30D:Rebel Xti Digital;24-105L,70-200 f/2.8L.II,85mm f1.2L.II,16-35Lmk2, SP AF90mmF/2.8DI,28-135mm x 2,580EX II-430ExII with Pocket Wizards II,(Adobe CS5)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 22, 2011 04:41 |  #7

If you want good quality, extreme portability and great speed then the Hyperdrive Colorspace UDMA is what you need. Buy the bare casing (external link) and a 2.5" 500GB hard drive (external link). That will give you 500GB of truly portable storage for $300.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

MilesW
240 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 22, 2011 09:06 |  #8

I had an epson P2000 but it recently bit the dust with a constant request for me to hit the reset button. Found it to be a common problem after doing some research. Don't know if the have improved the latest models or not.

20D Canon EFS 17-85IS, 70-2001:4 L IS, Macro 100 F2.8, Canon 50 1.4Canon ext EF 1.4X II

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 22, 2011 11:25 |  #9

Buy some cards for your trip, when you're back and done with them sell them here.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,709 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 22, 2011 12:12 |  #10

I used to use two of the hard drive based portable card "dumpers" (X-Drive was the original, now there are a few)
I used two as I did not like the idea of having one copy on a hard drive in rough conditions, so I copied each card to BOTH (poor mans RAID :) )

However IMHO the usefulness of these "card dumpers" has worn off.
Cards are much larger and cheaper, and as pointed out, a netbook is also in many cases cheaper, and clearly more flexible.

I now just carry enough cards to do the job,.. it's lighter, no charger, no time needed to transfer, etc. (FYI did Galapagos last year, and just got back from Machu Picchu!!! Have fun!)

Especially on the Galapagos trip, I would have been hard pressed to fit card transfers into the tight schedule without it being a panicky event. (there is time, but none I would want to sacrifice. )

I'd suggest either get enough cards, or go the net book route, and also bring a USB external and mirror the photos to both internal and external drive..

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,709 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 22, 2011 12:14 |  #11

ROGERWILCO357 wrote in post #12803216 (external link)
...then upload to photobucket pro just in case ....

Not a viable back up solution on a boat in the Galapagos, or in lots of parts of Peru.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 22, 2011 19:48 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #12

Rather than looking at this on a short term basis, based on this one trip I would decide what you need/want on the long term. I know if I was taking a trip like what you are I would be needed plenty of memory. I have lots of card space so what I take is small external drives such as this (external link). This still requires you to take a laptop of some sort but if you do alot of traveling the netbook would make sense along with these drives. I'm the kind of person that wouldn't be able to simply put the images onto a storage device and not be able to look at them beyond the camera's lcd. I take along my larger 17" laptop and though it is sometimes a pain to take I am always appreciative of having it at the other end. I always upload to the laptop's internal drive and then simply copy these to the external so that I have files on both hard drive and externals.

I've used the storage devices that Jake is alluding to above and they are painfully slow compared to uploading to a laptop's hard drive. If you are bound and determined to not take a computer with you then I would simply invest in more card space. Buying this has never been a bad thing for me. When I travel I will shoot in CR2 and quite easily shoot several gigs in a day. I don't think that you would regret buying this. I'm not so sure about selling them after though, I would never buy a used card.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

bsaber
I have no idea what's going on
3,536 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 22, 2011 23:02 |  #13

I have a hyperdrive color (original one) and it works great for backup. If you don't run out of space while shooting, one of these can be used to clear all your cards at night. Its slower than transfering to a netbook but its also smaller and more portable. Of course, you should backup to more than one hdd and in that case a netbook and external would be a good option.

Unregistered.Coward
884 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 23, 2011 06:27 |  #14

Another vote for the Netbook route. The only drawback is that they typically lack built in card readers, purchase a couple readers to guard against loss. The ability to review your shoots is a bonus. I also eBayed a couple of larger capacity batteries.

If you decide to redundantly backup to an external, be aware that the smaller pocket size drives are powered via the USB.

....the best camera is the one you have on you at the time.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 23, 2011 07:21 |  #15

Unregistered.Coward wrote in post #12808542 (external link)
If you decide to redundantly backup to an external, be aware that the smaller pocket size drives are powered via the USB.

Also be aware that a netbook & external drive isn't a truly redundant solution. If the netbook should die then you can't use the external drive, so you're left with nothing. In the past I used a netbook with a Hyperdrive. Now I use the Hyperdrive and an ND2700.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

sponsored links

1,775 views & 0 likes for this thread
Storage issue
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.