Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 22 Jul 2011 (Friday) 09:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Home Studio - Lighting starter kits

Stav_98
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jul 22, 2011 09:49 |  #1

Hi All,

I wasn't too sure whether or not this post really belongs here; it does seem to be semi appropriate.

I'm a keen amateur 'tinkering' photographer. I do it purely for fun with no income being generated from my hobby.

for some time I've been playing with a small home made light box which was sort of OK to messing around but now I want to spread my wings a little further. On that basis I've been looking at some studio 'kit'.

My 'Googles' have taken me to eBay along with a small bunch of other sites whome offer some for of 'kit' including background(s) and a couple of continuos lights and stands for a fairly resonable price.

One kit example contains...

3 x 36W Day Light Bulb (Energy Saving)
3 x Light Holder
3 x 33" Premium Black-Silver Umbrella

2 x
Backdrop Support Stands up to 260CM
3x
Section cross bar up to 3M wide

x light stand extend to 190CM 1 x Premium Black Muslin Backdrop (1.8M X 2.8M)
1 x Premium White Muslin Backdrop (1.8M X 2.8M)
1 x Premium Green Muslin Backdrop (1.8M X 2.8M)

...for £109 (plus a couple £'s postage).

My plan is to use either in my dining room which has good natural light (mostly from one side) or my garage which has very little. Therefore I imagine the W'age' of the bulbs may not be ideal.

I've also read about continuos vs strobe lighting but there seem to be a whole bunch for pros/cons between them; people seem to have their favourites and stick to them.

In terms of what I plan to shoot, I love (and collect) guitars and therefore want to shoot them; this is where the backgrounds are of interest. Addtionally I have a little daughter and want to play with some portrate shooting. Also I can shoot smaller items as the backgrounds can be layed over my dining room table etc.

Again, to be clear, this is just for fun and playing around with a little lighting and have hte benefit of backdrops. If I was asked "what's your budget" the response would be as little as possible....also I don't fancy building 'stuff' myself.

I'd appreciate any throughs you good people may have in relation to these 'kits' in relation to just tinkering around.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Marin

== == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == ==
EOS30d w/grip, 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6
iMac, Photoshop CC, Lightroom and a pocket full of wine gums
Canis meus id comedi

sponsored links
abbadon31
Goldmember
4,937 posts
Gallery: 264 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 22, 2011 09:54 |  #2

You need a dark room for continuous lights

I AM SHOM

Kechar
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 22, 2011 09:59 |  #3

Go with paper if you can. Muslins are a nightmare to keep unwrinkled and cause you a TON of photoshop work in post.

flickr (external link) KCharron.net (external link) - 5D mark III (gripped) | 24-70 2.8 VC | 85 1.8 | 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L
[LIGHTING: 3 Einsteins, AB400, CyberCommander, 2 VLMs w/2 spare bats, 2 64" PLMs, 24x32 softbox, 22" BD, grids and diffusers, Avenger stands and boom.]

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,298 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 22, 2011 10:02 |  #4

Get flashes. Perhaps the initial costs is a bit more, but you can always do it in incremental steps and it pays off in the long run.

ukcyberboy
613 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 22, 2011 10:04 |  #5

gonzo gave me good advice on some mounts and was right
I would avoid them because of temp, back drops can be anything, white sheets etc.
I have tried using two 100w bulbs and had a very slow shutter so they were blurred.
The heat was too much for the models too.
I know you said about budget but it is important. I would go a strobist route.
I also see good stuff on Talk Photography (external link). As per what you can get here in UK.

Body | Canon 6D |
Lens | Yongnuo 50mm 1.8 |
Lens | Canon 28-70 2.8 L |
Lens | Canon 70-200is F4 L |
Lighting | Yongnuo YN600RX |
Accessories | Various Bits |​

Stav_98
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jul 22, 2011 10:41 |  #6

I assume for strobes I would also need to take in to account some form of trigger whether it be cabled (sync cable?) or hotshoe?

Thanks for the replies.

Canis meus id comedi

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,298 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 22, 2011 10:45 |  #7

Stav_98 wrote in post #12804404 (external link)
I assume for strobes I would also need to take in to account some form of trigger whether it be cabled (sync cable?) or hotshoe?

Thanks for the replies.

Yes they do need to be synced with your camera in some fashion. If I knew UK pricing, I would attempt to help you with a package to meet your budget. But its not as simple as converting the euro to the greenback.

Stav_98
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jul 22, 2011 10:53 |  #8

As an alternative (or comparison) the following....

2 x 250w Strobe light, 2 x LIGHT STAND 302 190CM
TWO 70 x 50cm (Soft box)
2 x Black/Silver umbrella (33")
Barn Door With Honeycomb Grid & Gel Set
16 Channel wireless Trigger (1xTrigger and 2x receiver)
1 x REFLECTOR 5 IN 1 80CM
1 x Carrying Bag (78 x 25 x 25cm)

...is £129.86 withouth backdrop. I've no idea if triggers are generally 'standard' and would therefore be compatible with most makes/models of camera.

Canis meus id comedi

ukcyberboy
613 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 22, 2011 10:55 |  #9

As I was told becareful with the cheaper stuff it is cheap.

So it goes to say what sort of budge?t as a lightstand, bracket and flash can be around £60. A thought have you got a flash?

Body | Canon 6D |

Stav_98
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jul 22, 2011 11:05 |  #10

Hi UKCB

That's part of my concern in relation to a strobe kit, it's a little more 'active' and therefore more likely (and I'm guessing here) to have hickups and become a bit of a nightmare.

Budget in the true sense isn't really a problem. My limiting factor at the end of the day is this is to have a bit of a play with something new (backgrounds and lighting) to get a better appreciation of the camera, functions and lighting. It doesn't have to be great. So far £100 - £140 is doable for 'playing', anything beyond that I'd start to think a little more carefully about. Realistically I think I may be heading towards the £200 mark fairly easily without backdrops etc. (and possibly for cheap troublesome "stuff").

I've played about with using sheets etc for backgrounds but have found that I've no real way of hanging them, that to me is why the thought of a 'hung' system is quite appealing. The Mrs is fairly handy with an iron so no worries about the creases :P

I do have a 430EX flash.

Appreciate your responses.

Canis meus id comedi

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,298 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 22, 2011 11:12 |  #11

If you have a 430ex, buy a single stand, a shoot through umbrella, a swivel bracket, and a trigger of your choice (RF602's from YN, perhaps) then read this thread. https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=969584 That should still stay within you play budget and allow you to get some nice work done.

Buying these premade kits usually result in you buying a bundle of crap.

ted ­ krazonowski
93 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 22, 2011 11:26 |  #12

I would always go with mains mono's and there are starter sets at most price points from suppliers with a decent track record like - £200 (external link), £300 (external link) & £400 (external link) and upward. You (as always) get what you pay for quality wise, with perhaps Elinchrom (external link) D-Lite offering the best 'bang for your buck' as it were IMO.

Ted

the real me (external link)

ukcyberboy
613 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 22, 2011 11:36 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #13

Well I would look at this (external link).
then a stand (external link), I got mine from the guy in leeds for £16 for 2.
Trigger (external link),although you may need two recivers just in case you get a spare flash. Reflector can be made from white cloth foam board, lots of ideas out there. then get an umbrella too many to search but one with a removable back or softbox (external link).
For back drops and the like just get a white sheet or grey put on the wall and see how you go. You could hang from hooks or a pole you could get a few light stands and extend them and use them to hold back ground.

Body | Canon 6D |

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,298 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 22, 2011 11:42 |  #14

http://www.diyphotogra​phy.net …in-photography-background (external link)

Need a cheap background? The vendors listed are US, but the process is the same.

ukcyberboy
613 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 22, 2011 11:48 |  #15

I just found this thread (external link) too, they maybe able to guide you too.

Body | Canon 6D |

sponsored links

5,300 views & 0 likes for this thread
Home Studio - Lighting starter kits
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.