Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Jul 2011 (Saturday) 17:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The little differences between the 60D and 7D

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,160 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 22, 2011 10:27 |  #76

This is the point of MA, to offer the consumer a way to correct for small difference in body and lens calibration. The whole point is that not all bodies are going to be exactly calibrated the same way. So of course, it makes sense that one person will need to use MA to adjust differently from another,. and this is not even getting into lens variation yet, but just considering body variation.

If they could ll be 100% exactly alike, then they'd all be top dead center, and MA would never have been created.

phreeky wrote in post #12775022 (external link)
On the topic of Micro-adjustment, I noticed somebody mention that they find it necessary for long primes. I actually find the opposite and that it's more critical for fast short primes - lenses like the Canon 24 F/1.4 and Sigma 30 F/1.4.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links
kfreels
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 22, 2011 10:35 |  #77

madphotogirl wrote in post #12803560 (external link)
Soooo sorry, but if you look at one of our other threads about Canon repair issues, it is NEVER a bad thing to have a back up, considering you make $$ on this. Get a battery grip though, it completes the feel.. Try to go to a regular camera store too at best buy you can't really get a feel because the cameras are tethered.

OK. This isn't getting any easier. lol Yeah, the backup is definitely needed anyways. I only shoot family and friends of family right now and only to make enough money to buy more gear. (And no, I'm not cheap :-) My fourteen year old daughter just took up the hobby though and she has a T1i which I always figured I could resort to in a pinch. So here I was thinking a pair of 60Ds made sense and then in the thread you posted the guy is all excited about how he loved the AF on the 7D he bought as a replacement! Erggh.

So NOW what? lol Maybe I just need to buy a 60D AND a 7D and be done with it. :-P
I think what I'm going to do is see if I can't rent one of each for a week. That should do it.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

kfreels
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 22, 2011 11:30 |  #78

Foreboding wrote in post #12801797 (external link)
LOVE the articulating screen. If you ever shoot low or sideways on a tripod you will be glad to have it-

My biggest reason to not get the 7d would be, not enough value to overcome the lack of the articulating screen.

Really. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I have absolutely no need or desire for the articulating screen. I think I've used LiveView twice. Once on a moon photo and once for Jupiter and that was because I needed the extreme magnification to have something to focus accurately on. I can see why some would like it, but it really depends on what you shoot. In the time between the closing of my studio in 1996 and the purchase of my T2i, I had a few P&S cameras and the one thing I could not stand was holding a camera in front of me at arm's length while I shoot. It drives me crazy and hurts my arms. Avoiding that is one of the main reasons to have an SLR. In the off chance I do find something I want to shoot that I can't see through the viewfinder or the LCD, I'm sure I'll manage with such skills as manual pre-focus and manual exposure.

So to me, it's just not worth the additional possible point of failure of having a screen on a hinge. The more complex you make a mechanism, the more fragile it becomes. In addition, the LiveView LCD doesn't shut off automatically when you lift the camera to your face either which would be very annoying to me. If I get a 60D, the only reason I'll do so is to be able to keep my T2i as a backup instead of selling it.

dissident
60 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 22, 2011 11:45 |  #79

the lack of microfocus adjustment is definitely a bit of a let down for the t2i.. that's the only feature I would need, and I'm pretty sure someone could enable it with a software hack but it doesn't look like that's been done yet. Not going to upgrade because I simply don't have the need, but I'm not going to buy any more EF-S lenses either.. EF mount only. Futureproofing. Could I do it again, I would have bought the refurbished 50D instead of the refurbished t2i. Got a good price though and it was not really refurbished, just extra stock. It would be nice to just be able to buy any lens and not have to worry about focus issues.

I may try to snag a 50D from these forums if the price is right.

Canon T2i | Battery Extender | Canon EF-S 15-85mm | Tamron AF 70-300mm VC USD | Nifty Fifty Mark 1

madphotogirl
116 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 22, 2011 11:57 |  #80

You know at the end of the day... even if you go for the 7D you will want the 5D mkII and then the 1Ds and so one.. So just get one, I would go the cheaper one, from Amazon or something so you have a 30 day return window. That's the only way you will really know if you like one vs the other.

The Madphoto Girl - www.madphotogirl.com (external link) :D
Canon 60D w/grip, Canon 18-135mm IS USD, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8

kfreels
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 22, 2011 12:07 |  #81

Quizzical_Squirrel wrote in post #12804706 (external link)
If my 7D had a swivelling screen then I wouldn't have singed my Kyber Pass on hot tarmac when getting a low-level shot yesterday.

what's a Kyber Pass?
And you failed to follow the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Always know where your towel is.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,178 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jul 22, 2011 12:10 |  #82

madphotogirl wrote in post #12802200 (external link)
Kfreels,
I was bored and reminising about my Elan 7 and looked up the specs...
check this out
7n
Width: 5.8 inches
Depth: 2.7 inches
Height: 4.1 inches
Weight: 20.3 Ounces

60D
Width: 5.7 inches
Depth: 3.1 inches
Height: 4.2 inches
Weight: 1.5 pounds

7D
Width: 5.8 inches
Depth: 2.9 inches
Height: 4.4 inches
Weight: 1.8 pounds

Soooooo... the 60D would be closest to the Elan, I didn't think it would.. but FYI Amazon has the body for $899, that's almost half the cost of the 7D. Just saying, and you wouldn't have to change card formats...

Here is a chart I drew up some time ago to depict size/weight of the more recent Canon releases to help a bit too.

IMAGE: http://teamspeed.smugmug.com/Electronics/Reference-Material/i-bXj7tfv/0/O/xxdstats.jpg

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

kfreels
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 22, 2011 12:23 |  #83

dissident wrote in post #12804747 (external link)
the lack of microfocus adjustment is definitely a bit of a let down for the t2i.. that's the only feature I would need, and I'm pretty sure someone could enable it with a software hack but it doesn't look like that's been done yet. Not going to upgrade because I simply don't have the need, but I'm not going to buy any more EF-S lenses either.. EF mount only. Futureproofing. Could I do it again, I would have bought the refurbished 50D instead of the refurbished t2i. Got a good price though and it was not really refurbished, just extra stock. It would be nice to just be able to buy any lens and not have to worry about focus issues.

I may try to snag a 50D from these forums if the price is right.

Turning off the exposure sim on liveview would be nice too. I run a custom ROM on my HTC windows mobile device and I always wondered why there wasn't a community out there making customer firmware for these cameras. I'm sure that a lot of the features that differentiate these cameras are just software. Of course, I'm not sure if that's OK or not according to the new guidelines which allowed among other things, jailbreaking of cell phones, so maybe it's just plain illegal but I don't think so. It would be one thing to "unlock" a feature that was built in but that you had to pay for to use. It would be another to replace the code running with your own customer code which I understand is "fair use".

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,178 posts
Joined May 2002

Jul 22, 2011 12:35 |  #84

There are firmware hacks for at least one of the rebels. I really don't care about what manufacturers try to lock down from consumer changes, if I buy something, then I will change whatever I want on it to fit my needs. They can decline warranty sure, but beyond that.... ;)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

kfreels
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 22, 2011 12:37 |  #85

madphotogirl wrote in post #12804789 (external link)
You know at the end of the day... even if you go for the 7D you will want the 5D mkII and then the 1Ds and so one.. So just get one, I would go the cheaper one, from Amazon or something so you have a 30 day return window. That's the only way you will really know if you like one vs the other.

I know! It's terrible, isn't it? But I don't see myself buying a 5dmk2. Maybe I'll catch the next generation of full frame. Or maybe I won't. There are some benefits to the APS-C design - smaller, lighter, cheaper lenses. If improvements can continue on that sensor size - even if it is totally redesigned, it's possible that I'll never need to go to full frame. I know there are those who say that the APS-C sized sensor can never be as good as a full frame. In theory this is correct since a larger sensor can gather more light than a smaller one. But I recall people saying that digital will never be able to be as good a resolution as film as well. Boy they were wrong! Maybe that's what Canon knows that others don't. A nice 45MP APS-C size sensor with noise almost non-existent up to ISO 51,200 should about do it wouldn't you think?

madphotogirl
116 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 22, 2011 12:42 |  #86

I'd hate to be in your sistuation. I'd Just get the 7D, that is what I want sooooo badly!! Not to say I don't love my 60D but just order the 7D already!!!!! LOL

The Madphoto Girl - www.madphotogirl.com (external link) :D
Canon 60D w/grip, Canon 18-135mm IS USD, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8

Rocky ­ Rhode
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 22, 2011 13:03 |  #87

7D II will be out very soon...

GEAR LIST Flickr (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,178 posts
Joined May 2002

Jul 22, 2011 13:08 |  #88

Rocky Rhode wrote in post #12805126 (external link)
7D II will be out very soon...

Wrong.... there are at least 2 other models due out sooner. Of course you could be correct if your definition of soon is about 18 months. :)

kfreels
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 22, 2011 13:34 |  #89

madphotogirl wrote in post #12804789 (external link)

Wow. I just realized something. In the time I took debating this I could have shot some senior pics and made up the difference. Considering the micro-adjust, the 19 AF points, the praise that it gets for the AF, I think what I'm going to do is buy a 7D and keep my T2i for backup. It's only money, right?

Fligi7
968 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 22, 2011 14:04 |  #90

Do you really need 19 AF points and a sophisticated AF system for what you shoot? That's the question. You can always justify an upgrade to a more expensive camera for the added features. I say save your money for a nice L lens for your portraits (which seems like your bread and butter since you mention it could have easily netted you money in the meantime) and pick up the 60d. Or, if you have no need for the articulating screen, pick up the 50d which has MA and a much better build closer to the 7d.

sponsored links

11,964 views & 0 likes for this thread
The little differences between the 60D and 7D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.