Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 24 Jul 2011 (Sunday) 03:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flash and Shutter Speed

JohnAyySays
27 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 24, 2011 03:42 |  #1

I have a question about shooting with my flash while using manual mode on my camera. When I try to shoot in low light situation with the flash on, i'm not given a higher shutter speed to give a nice exposure. When i take pictures, i always either underexpose or overexpose my pictures by +1 or -1. When i try to take a picture so i dont get any motion blur with my flash in a low light situation, im given a really low shutter speed which i am not looking for. Could anyone care to explain to me how i can use flash and manual mode on my camera effectively. I also have a lightsphere if that would help but i heard from here to some it may or may not work. I have yet to figure out the real difference between using it or not. Thanks!

sponsored links
Tharaka
504 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 24, 2011 03:45 |  #2

you need to be shooting in M, not Av

flickr (external link) | tharaka.com.au (external link)

JohnAyySays
THREAD ­ STARTER
27 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 24, 2011 03:47 |  #3

Yes when i try to shoot in manual and want a pretty good shutter speed, my exposure meter says that my exposure is underexposed by more that +2

Tharaka
504 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 24, 2011 04:01 |  #4

because the on camera metering doesn't meter for flash

flickr (external link) | tharaka.com.au (external link)

JohnAyySays
THREAD ­ STARTER
27 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 24, 2011 04:03 |  #5

Ohh. So how would i know when it is at a correct exposure? Is it just to tweak the shutter speed little by little and alot of trial and error?

ukcyberboy
613 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 24, 2011 04:19 |  #6

is the flash ettl, if not then yes you will have to chimp a bit until you get what you want,

Body | Canon 6D |
Lens | Yongnuo 50mm 1.8 |
Lens | Canon 28-70 2.8 L |
Lens | Canon 70-200is F4 L |
Lighting | Yongnuo YN600RX |
Accessories | Various Bits |‚Äč

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 24, 2011 05:39 |  #7

Flash Photography 101

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

sponsored links

716 views & 0 likes for this thread
Flash and Shutter Speed
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.