Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 24 Jul 2011 (Sunday) 10:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

400 2.8L IS Problems

dennykyser
964 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Jul 24, 2011 10:02 |  #1

I know I am a bonehead for doing this, but a while back sold a 400 2.8L IS that was less than a year old so I could get the new version that was being released. I figured I would sell mine before the market got flooded with them and get the best possible price.
Then we all know what happened in Japan, and after seeing the new price I decided the version 1 was a better value and I just purchased one from BH.

I have 2 1DIV bodies and lens align target to set the micro adjustment.
I can not get it to take sharp crisp images.

I use a tripod, mirror lock up and a cable release and take 3 images with IS off, and 3 images with IS on. I make sure the shutter speed is above 400 and I can not get 3 consecutive images that are sharp regardless of what I try.

I took it to a baseball game and not happy with the results at all, even after changing the micro adjustment each inning trying to get real world results. Heck I even was shooting at 3.5 and getting some soft images.

Its not consistently front or back focusing, its going back and forth and once in a while dead on.

Not sure if I should return the lens to BH, or send to Canon since I am a CPS Member?

Wondering if anyone else has had this problem with a Lens. I have always felt that the lens's were not to blame for soft images, it was the users failure to adjust the lens to the body but not feeling that way anymore.

Gear
Website (external link)
SportsShooters (external link)
MaxPreps (external link)

sponsored links
butterfly2937
Cream of the Crop
6,964 posts
Gallery: 226 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 24, 2011 10:16 |  #2

Did you try shooting with MA at zero? Did you recheck MA just using a target like a text page to see which setting provides the sharpest pic?

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,641 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 24, 2011 10:24 |  #3

You know what this lens can do, I'd send it back to b&h and ask them to send you another copy.

dennykyser
THREAD ­ STARTER
964 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Jul 24, 2011 10:28 |  #4

butterfly2937 wrote in post #12813412 (external link)
Did you try shooting with MA at zero? Did you recheck MA just using a target like a text page to see which setting provides the sharpest pic?

Yes, actually one body was getting good images at MA set to zero on 1-2 out of 3 shots, but then 1-2 of the images would be quite soft.

Had I not owned this lens before, and knew what it is capable of may have just felt it needed to be shot at 4.0 but this lens does not need to be stopped down to take sharp images.

I will say it was HOT, in the 80's but not sure I am willing to gamble on it being consistent this fall after the 30 day return period has gone.

It would be easier if it was consistent, say always front focusing, or back focusing but its not.
My first tests were done with IS on, I had always been told that with the new lenses, especially the long glass you could leave IS on, even at high shutter speeds and tripod that the mirror movement was enough to justify the IS. I thought maybe that was the problem so went with much more controlled tests using mirror lockup, cable release, tripod, out of the wind and still just results all over the place.

Gear
Website (external link)
MaxPreps (external link)

dennykyser
THREAD ­ STARTER
964 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Jul 24, 2011 10:31 |  #5

rick_reno wrote in post #12813434 (external link)
You know what this lens can do, I'd send it back to b&h and ask them to send you another copy.

Thanks, I think that is what I will do, the more I look at the images shot at 3.5 the more I feel you are right.

The last one I had I never shot at anything other than 2.8 to get that bokeh, not going to settle with this copy. Heck if I have to shoot at 4.0 to get crisp images wold be better off with a 300 2.8L and crop. saving weight and $$.

Gear
Website (external link)
MaxPreps (external link)

advaitin
Goldmember
4,620 posts
Gallery: 432 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

Jul 24, 2011 10:46 |  #6

Version 1? The very first EOS 400mm f2.8 L? Canon will not support it, even if you are a CPS member. Too far out of date, no parts available. If you are still within the return period, send it back to B&H.

I have one. It works great with any camera. But the day must surely come when it will fail.

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

advaitin
Goldmember
4,620 posts
Gallery: 432 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

Jul 24, 2011 10:48 |  #7

Sorry, I see that you meant version 1 of the IS model. Hopefully Canon still supports it.

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

dennykyser
THREAD ­ STARTER
964 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Jul 24, 2011 11:29 |  #8

advaitin wrote in post #12813526 (external link)
Sorry, I see that you meant version 1 of the IS model. Hopefully Canon still supports it.

Since I just purchased this lens NEW USA they better still support it. The version II has not even been released yet.

I would hope that even after the version II is released they would support an item they are still selling.

Gear
Website (external link)
MaxPreps (external link)

R.J. ­ MacReady
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 24, 2011 11:43 as a reply to  @ dennykyser's post |  #9

I just cannot believe that a 8000$ lens has some major optical quality issues.

The version that was not optically excellent was EF mark 1 released in 1991 - you may read more here: http://wild-india.net …-ef-400mm-f2-8l-ii-review (external link).

Did you manage to get at least one sharp and contrasty photo? If so, it would prove that the lens you have is capable of making best of it. Maybe there are some AF/MF problems?

EOS 5D Mark III | 24-105/4 IS | 135/2 | 400/2.8 IS | 1.4x III | 2x III | 580EX II
Sold: EOS 5D Mark II | BG-E6 | EOS T1i | 17-55/2.8 IS | 24/1.4 I | 24/1.4 II | 28-135/3.5-5.6 IS | 50/1.4| 135/2 | 200/2.8 II | 70-200/4 IS | 300/4 IS | 1.4x II | 2x II | 580EX II |430EX II

dennykyser
THREAD ­ STARTER
964 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Jul 24, 2011 12:32 |  #10

R.J. MacReady wrote in post #12813742 (external link)
I just cannot believe that a 8000$ lens has some major optical quality issues.

The version that was not optically excellent was EF mark 1 released in 1991 - you may read more here: http://wild-india.net …-ef-400mm-f2-8l-ii-review (external link).

Did you manage to get at least one sharp and contrasty photo? If so, it would prove that the lens you have is capable of making best of it. Maybe there are some AF/MF problems?

Sure I can get a few absolutely stunning images, but my previous lens which was the exact same lens got that on darn near every single image.

There is not a question what this lens will do, its what the copy I have is not doing.

There is no way that using a Tripod, shutter release, mirror lockup and target should not give you consistent images, especially a lens that is made to be used for sports.

I am not bad mouthing the lens, if I did not love the lens would not be buying it again. I am just saying I feel I finally got a soft lens and its going back.

Gear
Website (external link)
MaxPreps (external link)

Hollywoodgt
971 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 24, 2011 10:31 as a reply to  @ dennykyser's post |  #11

I was just reading the post your lens and have a chance to buy a super clean 400mm 2.8L that's in very good shape. Its UU lens so it's like 5 yrs old. It would be used with a Canon T2I and maybe a 5D MK II or better. I'm looking at it for around $5500.00, thought the price was right. Actually I had a 600mm and it fell through, so that got ne thinking that the 400mm is a faster lens for shooting low light and with the 2X Ext gives you great reach and still a good aperture setting. Any thoughts.

www.Jeffreyantonphotog​raphy.com (external link) http://www.modelmayhem​.com/jeffreyanton (external link)
Bodies:5D Infared 5D MK II/5D MKIII 4 Travellites 750R
18=55mm/55-250mm/50mm Ef1.8/70-200 ef2.8L IS II/85mm 1.2L II/24-70mm 2.8L II/16-35mm 2.8L II 2X Ext II
(3) 430EX/(3) remotes/2umbrellas plus assortment of defusers

dennykyser
THREAD ­ STARTER
964 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Aug 24, 2011 10:42 |  #12

Update
BH replaced the lens and all is good now.

Gear
Website (external link)
MaxPreps (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,641 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 24, 2011 14:21 |  #13

dennykyser wrote in post #12990910 (external link)
Update

They're good.

ICU812
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 24, 2011 17:09 |  #14

dennykyser wrote in post #12990910 (external link)
Update

awesome....love my copy as well. not going to upgrade either ;)

Canon 1D MK llN/20D/30D 17-40L / 70-200L 2.8IS / 400L 2.8IS

sponsored links

3,066 views & 0 likes for this thread
400 2.8L IS Problems
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.