Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 24 Jul 2011 (Sunday) 13:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

im new help, crit, and advise

Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 24, 2011 15:05 |  #16

Goodness! How many more are you going to post? Give people a chance to catch up for goodness sake ;)

David

David

sponsored links
brokkbloodaxe
THREAD ­ STARTER
331 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 24, 2011 18:32 as a reply to  @ Woodworker's post |  #17

Lol. That's all for now, I had some sizing issues and after one post I wanted to make sure they were viewable. I was under the impression that you could post 1024x1024, some pics I could post close to that and some not what so ever. Any Idea why and what max size is?

Cropping that picture was something I didn't even think about, thanks!

Yes, focusing is my bane at the moment. I will try focusing on random objects. Im using manual mode so it is a little newer to me focusing on my on as opposed to auto. I do have problems telling if something it really well into focus while looking through my viewfinder, being its so small. Does anyone else have this issue or just me? Any suggestions on that front?

Thanks

5DC, XSIrebel, 18-55, 75-300, 85 1.8, 70-200L f4,50L sigma ef 500 dg st, cs2, Lightroom 3
flickr (external link)
-David

MilesApartPhotography
90 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 24, 2011 18:39 |  #18

What kind of camera do you have? I use an XSI and I love to use liveview. You can zoom in x10 (that's why I asked the camera) and it's a lot easier to see what the focus is. I rarely use all manual all the time, as far as focus goes. It takes so long. I usually AF and check in LV a few times. You'll get the hang of it :)

Melissa :) 7D| 17-55 | 50 1.8 | 55-250 IS. Just starting out!
Facebook (external link) | Website (external link)

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 24, 2011 19:02 as a reply to  @ MilesApartPhotography's post |  #19

The picture of your daughter: I would have moved her toward the camera well away from the green door so she's filling the frame. If you want a full body shot I'd have rotated the camera into "portrait" mode. Then: choosing as wide an aperture as possible would make the door out of focus, and direct the viewer's attention onto your daughter. For outside portrait shots you want your subject to be nearer to the camera than they are to the background.

Richard
Gear

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 24, 2011 19:13 as a reply to  @ Frugal's post |  #20

Yes, focusing is my bane at the moment. I will try focusing on random objects. Im using manual mode so it is a little newer to me focusing on my on as opposed to auto. I do have problems telling if something it really well into focus while looking through my viewfinder, being its so small

Why are you using manual focus? When you select a single point - assuming you have a DSLR and select a single point, it works really well for the type of photographs you're taking. Without a special focusing screen, manual focus through the viewfinder is a non-starter. You can use live mode an the screen, but that also is difficult outdoors.

Richard
Gear

brokkbloodaxe
THREAD ­ STARTER
331 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 24, 2011 19:14 |  #21

I have another One or two with her nearer, but doors stayed in focus, aperrue on 18-55 is 4-5.6 I believe. No matter what I adjust I can't seem the get that bokeh fade.

I'm using xsi. Haven't used pve view in so long I forgot it has it...gonna have to ck that out.

5DC, XSIrebel, 18-55, 75-300, 85 1.8, 70-200L f4,50L sigma ef 500 dg st, cs2, Lightroom 3
flickr (external link)
-David

MilesApartPhotography
90 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 24, 2011 19:21 |  #22

You'll get it, just keep shooting. Definitely for portraits, you want to be closer. Try liveview if you're unsure of your focus, and like Frugal said, def set your af points when you need to.

Melissa :) 7D| 17-55 | 50 1.8 | 55-250 IS. Just starting out!
Facebook (external link) | Website (external link)

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 24, 2011 19:22 as a reply to  @ brokkbloodaxe's post |  #23

With the lens you have you're not going to see the really blurry backgrounds that some people post here. However you can get enough blur by getting your subject as close to the camera as possible and as far away from the background. That's going to limit you to waist up shots, but personally I prefer those. The whole goal is to direct your attention directly to your subject. You shouldn't have to do a where's waldo. (sorry that was a joke)

Richard
Gear

brokkbloodaxe
THREAD ­ STARTER
331 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 24, 2011 20:41 as a reply to  @ Frugal's post |  #24

Ok' maybe I'm confused,lol, but I thought I had been reading to use manual focus, but after reviewing notes I made that is for the moon and stars I guess. As far as setting af pints, care to explain? Don't have a clue about this, first I've heard of it.

Thanks for all the help,

flickr (external link)
-David

djphatjive
247 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 24, 2011 20:45 |  #25

Resize the original to 1024 width and keep under 150KB and you can upload them here no prob.

Canon T2i Rebel with...
Canon EF-S 18-55mm lens, Canon EF-S 55-250mm lens, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
PowerShot SD1400 IS
www.glissmann.net (external link) Other Hobby. www.touchpadgames.com (external link)

Organic ­ Treats
Goldmember
1,012 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 24, 2011 20:50 |  #26

They are all out of focus and blurry except the landscape shot. Just work on that.

Jeremy
www.500px.com/jeremycu​pp (external link)
www.twitter.com/jeremy​cupp (external link)
www.jeremycupp.com (external link)
http://www.youtube.com​/jeremykcupp (external link)

Skrim17
The only TPBMer without a title. Enjoying my anonymity.
40,070 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 24, 2011 20:54 |  #27

choose a single focus point in the camera, generally folks use the center point, instead of having it focus itself. Remember to use fast shutter speeds to help keep things focused.

Crissa
PLEASE HELP ME FIND MY PHOTOS!! (external link)

brokkbloodaxe
THREAD ­ STARTER
331 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 24, 2011 22:05 as a reply to  @ Skrim17's post |  #28

Ok thanks, will try out tomorrow

flickr (external link)
-David

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 24, 2011 22:17 as a reply to  @ brokkbloodaxe's post |  #29

Here's how I would frame a full length image of your daughter, though I'd go for more of a closeup but this pose doesn't suit that:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Richard
Gear

brokkbloodaxe
THREAD ­ STARTER
331 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 24, 2011 23:11 as a reply to  @ Frugal's post |  #30

Gotcha! Thanks, that lok great, cept for me being totally out of focus.lol

flickr (external link)
-David

sponsored links

1,693 views & 0 likes for this thread
im new help, crit, and advise
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.