Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 26 Jul 2011 (Tuesday) 10:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Should I charge to remove my watermark and high-res photo

petitnoni
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 26, 2011 10:40 |  #1

Hi guys,
I am an newbie in this forum.Hope I can ask this question here.

I started this photography biz about 2 years ago. I did a photo session in favor a friend who asked my help for her project. She is new friend who is completely oblivious to the fact that this is what I do for a living. Initially I gave her 20 pics (with watermark), then she wanted all the photos that I took on the day.In order to avoid more drama, I gave all despite my explanation that is not possible due to professional reason.

Fast forward today, she wants me to take down all the watermark and some of the pics in high-resolution since she's going to make them into promotional items. What should I do now? I feel she's disrecpetful and being inconsiderate

Any input is appreciated

sponsored links
nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 26, 2011 12:20 |  #2

I think the key word here is "as a favor for a friend." How much of your business are you willing to give away for free to a friend? Not knowing any more details about your relationship with this "friend," it's tough for me to give advice.

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to give away everything to a close friend... but he also wouldn't hesitate to, say, spend all day Saturday to help me build a brick-and-mortar firepit in the backyard, in 90-degree weather. That's just the kind of relationship I have with my close friends.

If the "friend" is actually more like an "acquaintance," then I might not be so generous.

Also, in retrospect, I wouldn't have given her ALL the images on a disc. 20 pictures from a photoshoot is more than enough. If you take 200 shots, and 20 of them are GREAT and the rest are average - do you want to tell the whole world that you got lucky and got great images 10% of the time, but 90% of your work is merely average? Not me, that's for sure. The 180 "average" images should have been deleted or archived right away, never again to see the light of day. The photoshoot resulted in 20 great images, the rest were just chaff.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 26, 2011 12:44 as a reply to  @ nathancarter's post |  #3

this is what I do for a living

In order to avoid more drama, I gave all despite my explanation that is not possible due to professional reason.

If you are going to succeed in making a profit, let alone a living you are going to have to deal with drama. Some people are grinders who keep coming back for just one more free favor. I only do free or at my cost work for close family or a friend who as Nathan describes would drop everything to come and help you out for a day.

Richard
Gear

butugly
621 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 26, 2011 12:55 |  #4

Promotional means just that !!.
You will have to charge the friend for full usage of YOUR images simple.
If you dont then the friend will keep coming back for more freebies, and you will keep coming up with excuses.

petitnoni
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 26, 2011 13:04 as a reply to  @ Frugal's post |  #5

Thank you for the responsed!
No, this person is not close friend - we got acquainted several months ago.I did explained to her bout the number of pics I gave to her but she is very passive agressive (if that is the right word) hence I watermarked and gave a low res.

I am not sure what is the right number (fee) or professional reply to this person. What is the right number ? Is there a such a thing to charge for removing watermark or high-res photos?

petitnoni
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 26, 2011 13:05 |  #6

butugly wrote in post #12826008 (external link)
Promotional means just that !!.
You will have to charge the friend for full usage of YOUR images simple.
If you dont then the friend will keep coming back for more freebies, and you will keep coming up with excuses.

That is what I need to work on the most

nrowensby
Goldmember
3,996 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 26, 2011 13:31 |  #7

You've been in business for 2 years and you don't know what you charge?

--Nick's Marketplace Feedback--
[Insert witty quote here]

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,933 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 26, 2011 13:34 |  #8

petitnoni wrote in post #12825204 (external link)
I did a photo session in favor a friend who asked my help for her project.

You agreed to help her for a project and should give her non-watermarked images for the project. Anything else is extra.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

emelvee
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 26, 2011 13:35 |  #9

If you do this for a living, how have you not run into this problem before???

Canon 6D | 70-200 f/2.8 I | 50mm f/1.4 | 16-35mm f/2.8 II | 580EX II x 2
Tumblr (external link)

petitnoni
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 26, 2011 13:42 |  #10

nrowensby wrote in post #12826199 (external link)
You've been in business for 2 years and you don't know what you charge?

I do know my charge per session but not in this case ... I was referring bout removing the watermark and the request bout the high-res
I never encounter where "friend" abusing the favor

petitnoni
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 26, 2011 13:42 |  #11

emelvee wrote in post #12826222 (external link)
If you do this for a living, how have you not run into this problem before???

no :(

petitnoni
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 26, 2011 13:45 |  #12

D Thompson wrote in post #12826219 (external link)
You agreed to help her for a project and should give her non-watermarked images for the project. Anything else is extra.

:( I am not very strong towards people that I know
She didn't want just the best 20 I gave her - she asked for all. I did give all to her (long story) I was hoping too that I am done with this person
But it's not

butugly
621 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 26, 2011 13:49 |  #13

If you want "done with her" just charge her twice your normal session fee and be done with her.
After all what will she say "thats to much" in which case tell her to get them redone by someone else.
Dont lose sleep over it.

emelvee
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 26, 2011 13:50 |  #14

petitnoni wrote in post #12826271 (external link)
:( I am not very strong towards people that I know
She didn't want just the best 20 I gave her - she asked for all. I did give all to her (long story) I was hoping too that I am done with this person
But it's not

Well then you are just going to have to stand your ground and be assertive and say what you are willing to do. What would have avoided this whole situation was if you would have put out all that you were willing to do at the beginning. Now she's just seeing how much she can get from you.

Canon 6D | 70-200 f/2.8 I | 50mm f/1.4 | 16-35mm f/2.8 II | 580EX II x 2
Tumblr (external link)

petitnoni
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 26, 2011 13:52 |  #15

butugly wrote in post #12826286 (external link)
If you want "done with her" just charge her twice your normal session fee and be done with her.
After all what will she say "thats to much" in which case tell her to get them redone by someone else.
Dont lose sleep over it.

yes yes - I should'nt lose sleep over this matter

sponsored links

4,109 views & 0 likes for this thread
Should I charge to remove my watermark and high-res photo
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.